Is it possible that the sum total of everything is nothing?

• Thread starter erickulcyk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sum
In summary, the discussion is about whether it is possible for something to come from nothing, and the answer is no.
erickulcyk
Hello all,

I was wondering if you think it's possible that our universe is just very complicated very of expressing nothing. That is, if you took the sum of all the matter, antimatter, energy, anything else that I'm forgetting to mention, and the laws that govern them, could you end up with everything canceling each other out and nothing left? I think the theory is know that everything there is was contained in the big bang and it just expanded to form the universe. For Instance, we could say there were x things at the time of the big bang, so if you summed everything together today there would still be x things. Is it possible that there was 0 things at the time the the big bang, and 0= x-x. We can then say x = z^2-y+x+y-z^2 and so on... So we build a universe from nothing, aided by the plus and minus (which I think would be universal expansion and gravity respectively). Does this make sense or am I missing something here?

Thanks for your input,

Eric

Physics news on Phys.org
I suppose it could be if matter and anti matter were created out of nothing it would balance.

I don't think I have seen anything made of anti matter yet though, so that's speculation on my part.

This depends on what the + and the - would consist of.

This question is more philosophical than scientific, as your second statement
"That is, if you took the sum of all the matter, antimatter, energy, anything else that I'm forgetting to mention, and the laws that govern them, could you end up with everything canceling each other out and nothing left?"
is inherently impossible to quantify.

Charlatanza said:
... for every proton there is a electron and a neutron...

That is not true at all. (Not hitting you, just saying facts)

homogeneous equations are always nice

Yeah but then who made the rule that x-x = 0?

You can't say that all the laws of the Universe sum up to zero, because "sum" is also a law. You can't escape it.

This thread is silly.

1. Is it possible for everything to add up to nothing?

While it may seem counterintuitive, there are theories in physics, such as the concept of negative energy, that suggest the total sum of everything in the universe could be zero.

2. How can the universe be made up of nothing?

The concept of "nothing" in this context refers to the absence of matter and energy, rather than a complete absence of everything. In other words, the universe may be made up of a balance of positive and negative energy, resulting in a net total of zero.

3. What implications does this idea have for our understanding of the universe?

If the sum total of everything is nothing, it could potentially change our understanding of the origins of the universe and the fundamental laws of physics. It may also raise questions about the nature of reality and the role of consciousness in shaping our perceptions of the world.

4. Can this theory be proven?

At this time, there is no conclusive evidence to support or disprove the idea that the sum total of everything is nothing. It is a theoretical concept that is still being explored and debated by scientists and philosophers.

5. How does this concept tie into the concept of nothingness in philosophy and spirituality?

The idea of the sum total of everything being nothing may have implications for philosophical and spiritual beliefs about the nature of existence and the interconnectedness of all things. It may also challenge traditional notions of what constitutes reality and what it means to exist.