Is it possible to build a single-stage spacecraft that can exit the atmosphere?

In summary: V-2. :smile:Yep, I was. Bond's model uses an air breathing engine so it can greatly reduce the amount of O2 it has to carry into orbit.As said before, getting through the atmosphere isn't much issue anymore. There are logistical issues, but not scientific ones. Most of the bugs were worked out by the Nazis. A history of the V-2 and Wernher von Braun (who came to the US after WWII) might be interesting to you.In summary, the author is working on a story about space travel and has some questions about exiting the atmosphere. The vehicle is only in the atmosphere for a few minutes and is not affected by the atmosphere. If
LaurelAnnyse
Hey there! My name is Laurel, and I'm working on a short story with a friend about, among other thing, space travel. I've just got some questions about exiting the atmosphere in order to fly a spaceship around looking for other stuff. I don't want you to feel you have to over simplify things, because I can use google to figure out terms and whatnot, but if it makes it easier for you, by all means.
Thanks so much!

Physics news on Phys.org
As for exiting the atmosphere that doesn't present any problem for modern designs of rocket.
The vehicle is only in the atmosphere for 2 or 3 minutes, and as long as there are no structural failures the atmosphere has very little effect on it's flight.
If there are structural failures then the rocket is probably doomed anyway whether it's in the atmosphere or not. but atmosphere will cause it to disintegrate more quickly.

Drakkith said:
I've moved the thread to the Writing and World Building forum. :smile:

Thanks! I didn't realize there was one, lol.

If you are working with current technology then you need a rocket with a large amount of fuel and multiple stages. Currently no one has figured out how to do a single stage craft that can leave the atmosphere. So you are talking a large undertaking by a significant crew of professionals and a massive controlled explosion :) Unless you introduce future or alien tech, there would be no discreet way for your characters to lift off. Not sure if that is a feature of your story or not. As far as the speeds involved, your craft would need to reach 11 kilometers a second or a little over 40,000 kilometers an hour. This would get them free of our orbit and off into space. if they just want to reach low Earth orbit and cruise around, maybe buzz the International space station then they only need to get there ship up to almost 8 kilometers a second or just under 28000 kilometers an hour.

DHF said:
Currently no one has figured out how to do a single stage craft that can leave the atmosphere.

Oh we know how to do it. It's just way easier and cheaper to use a multi-stage rocket since you don't have to carry a huge amount of dead weight into orbit (and/or beyond). :biggrin:

Drakkith said:
Oh we know how to do it. It's just way easier and cheaper to use a multi-stage rocket since you don't have to carry a huge amount of dead weight into orbit (and/or beyond). :biggrin:
I wasn't aware anyone had build a successful prototype yet. I know Allen Bond has been working on it for decades but I thought he was still working out the bugs.

DHF said:
I wasn't aware anyone had build a successful prototype yet. I know Allen Bond has been working on it for decades but I thought he was still working out the bugs.

Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you referring to a vehicle which is essentially a plane-rocket hybrid?

Drakkith said:
Maybe I misunderstood you. Are you referring to a vehicle which is essentially a plane-rocket hybrid?
Yep, I was. Bond's model uses an air breathing engine so it can greatly reduce the amount of O2 it has to carry into orbit.

Likes Drakkith
As said before, getting through the atmosphere isn't much issue anymore. There are logistical issues, but not scientific ones. Most of the bugs were worked out by the Nazis. A history of the V-2 and Wernher von Braun (who came to the US after WWII) might be interesting to you.

DHF said:
Currently no one has figured out how to do a single stage craft that can leave the atmosphere.
Uh, the Germans did it in the 1940's

1. What is space travel?

Space travel refers to any form of travel that takes place outside of Earth's atmosphere. This includes both manned and unmanned missions to other planets, satellites, and other celestial objects.

2. How do astronauts survive in space?

Astronauts survive in space through the use of specialized equipment and technology. This includes spacesuits, oxygen tanks, and spacecraft that are designed to provide a livable environment for humans in space.

3. What are the risks of space travel?

Space travel comes with several risks, including exposure to high levels of radiation, loss of bone density due to microgravity, and the potential for equipment malfunctions. Astronauts also face the risk of psychological effects from being isolated in small spaces for extended periods of time.

4. How long does it take to travel to other planets?

The time it takes to travel to other planets varies depending on the distance and the speed of the spacecraft. For example, it takes about 3 days to reach the Moon, while it can take anywhere from 6 to 9 months to reach Mars.

5. What is the future of space travel?

The future of space travel is constantly evolving and advancing. Some potential developments include longer manned missions to Mars, the establishment of a permanent base on the Moon, and the possibility of commercial space travel for civilians.