Is it possible to get down by throwing hands upwards?

• Thread starter Titania
  • Start date
In summary, according to Newton's first law, we are unable to move our bodies or change direction in space without an external force acting upon us. However, we can use our arms to throw or swing in order to rotate our position in space. This is due to the principle of conservation of momentum, where the force exerted by our arms creates an equal and opposite reaction in the opposite direction. While we may not be able to move our center of mass, we can still experience rotational motion. This concept is also demonstrated in how cats land on their feet and in the idea of "swimming" in curved space using general relativity. Ultimately, our ability to generate motion depends on the potential energy stored in our bodies, which can be converted
Titania said:
I'm sorry I sound a bit silly.. But u see, to move your body in space, u will have to exert force or do an action, right? Isn't throwing arms upwards considered as an action? Do correct me.
Of course that is an action. The issue you'll run into, if you want to actually travel some distance in space, is that your arms are typically attached to you. If you throw your arms up, that is an action causing an equal and opposite reaction in the rest of your body. But, then your arms reach maximum extension and the force of tension in your arms brings them to a stop, along with the rest of your body which was, briefly, traveling in the opposite direction. Stretching out could let you reach something you couldn't before, but it won't let you go anywhere.

Likes Titania
Physics news on Phys.org
jackwhirl said:
Of course that is an action. The issue you'll run into, if you want to actually travel some distance in space, is that your arms are typically attached to you. If you throw your arms up, that is an action causing an equal and opposite reaction in the rest of your body. But, then your arms reach maximum extension and the force of tension in your arms brings them to a stop, along with the rest of your body which was, briefly, traveling in the opposite direction. Stretching out could let you reach something you couldn't before, but it won't let you go anywhere.
Okay~ Thanks :)

Titania said:
I'm sorry I sound a bit silly.. But u see, to move your body in space, u will have to exert force or do an action, right? Isn't throwing arms upwards considered as an action? Do correct me.
Yes, this is correct (I'm assuming you mean "rotate", not move your center of mass). See post #5. This is what everyone in the thread, except stevmg, have said throughout.

Likes Titania