Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is it possible to have a board specifically for sci fi related science discussions?

1. Jun 21, 2010 #1
    I think it'll be great to look into these issues seriously such as time travel etc.

2. jcsd
  3. Jun 21, 2010 #2

ZapperZ

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

4. Jun 21, 2010 #3

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

Re: Is it possible to have a board specifically for sci fi related science discussion

I recommend consulting your copy of the "Star Trek, The Next Generation Technical Manual", page vi, Introduction by Gene Roddenberry for a perspective on the fallacy in attempting to use science fiction as a basis for actual science:
    Sorry, Secret: sometimes fiction really is just fiction, cool as it may look on a big screen tv.

5. Jun 21, 2010 #4

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Re: Is it possible to have a board specifically for sci fi related science discussion

Though, if you'd like to discuss the literary merits of science fiction, feel free to do so in the "History and Humanities" subforum. https://www.physicsforums.com/forumdisplay.php?f=148 [Broken]

Though, when I Skype with my boyfriend, I sometimes am reminded of The Jetsons and their video phones that seemed so futuristic when I was a kid. Again, I'm sure that the influence of science fiction or cartoons on the direction of technological development would be fine as a history topic. But I think that's the safest route is to discuss it in retrospect as an historical topic rather than discussing it prospectively.

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  6. Jun 21, 2010 #5

Evo

Use something like yahoo! chat instead of skype if you are doing computer to computer, and you can do video at the same time, and it's free and has more features. If you call each other and the phone doesn't answer, it will automatically send your voice message to each other's e-mail, not a notification. AND it doesn't require any software. And you can use it on your cell phone. Skype is so "1990's" as a person said the other day. :tongue2:

Back to your regularly scheduled programming.

7. Jun 21, 2010 #6

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Skype has video. We actually switched to Skype from Yahoo because Yahoo was absolutely awful for dropping the calls and lagging when we were video chatting. We can use Skype on our cell phones too. :wink: I guess you haven't used it in a while to know how updated it is.

8. Jun 21, 2010 #7
  9. Jun 21, 2010 #8

Evo

Evo Child added Skype because of her BF, and when they saw my yahoo chat, they could not believe the better quality and features (last week). They aren't using Skype anymore.

10. Jun 22, 2010 #9

LOL nice way to put down a brother!

11. Jun 23, 2010 #10

EnumaElish

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I don't see how this thread justifies locking of Secret's GD thread on "darkness emitters." In that GD thread, at least one serious, scientific response was posted in reference to luminance wave interference patterns (to which both DaveC... and I responded).

More generally, let's remind ourselves that not a few decades ago anything approaching "Dark Matter" or "Dark Energy" as physical phenomena would have been nominated as sci-fi, unless sooner derided as crazy.

Yours respectfully,
    EE

12. Jun 23, 2010 #11

berkeman

I agree with the lock. The OP was definitely overly speculative, and had way too much bad science mixed in. Bringing up standard photon interference was a useful counterpoint to the OP's post, but not enough to salvage the thread, IMO. I suppose we could try pruning out the comedy and trying to see if the OP is willing to understand why what he wrote is wrong, and what standard photon interference is, but based on his OP in this thread here, I don't think that would interest him much.

Boy, you got that right. Albert and his [tex]\Lambda[/tex] :bugeye:

13. Jun 23, 2010 #12

Evo

EE, you know we stick to discussions of mainstream science. If we start making exceptions, we can no longer enforce the rules.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2010
  14. Jun 24, 2010 #13

Now I will never learn how to use dilithium crystals to control a matter/anti-matter reaction or how to make transparent aluminum.

Sigh.

15. Jun 24, 2010 #14

Actually, some poeple did consider sci fi as a possiblilty
    Such as theoretical physicist Michio Kaku, who wrote "Physics of the Impossible: A Scientific Exploration Into the World of Phasers, Force Fields, Teleportation, and Time Travel".

Also what we take for granted nowadays are just pure scifi in the past such as travelling to space, internet etc.

But I never aware that this forum is for mainstream science only
    The intro of the GD board wrote something like this

So I thought scifi might fit here

In fact there's no obvious hints or rules that the forum is only for mainstream science discussions only.

Now that i know the rules, i'll stick to mainstream science discussion and leave my ideas for later in the future

Edit: @TM, transpareant aluminium does exist, some scientists have made that, however it is transparent only to UV.
    http://www.ox.ac.uk/media/news_releases_for_journalists/090726.html [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2017
  16. Jun 24, 2010 #15

Pengwuino

Gold Member

Please see the global forum rules that are provided upon registering.

https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=5374

17. Jun 24, 2010 #16

Mainstream science as published in peer reviewed journals can still be science fiction like. There is plenty of stuff in journals such as the Physical Review D about how one can (or cannot) theoretically use cosmic strings, wormholes, etc. to make a time machine.

Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook