Is it possible to make a sun ?

• Thread starter AnthreX
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Sun
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of creating a sun through fusion technology, which would eliminate the need for fossil fuels. The participants mention that there have been some successes in creating a fusion reaction, but the process is still being researched and refined. The process involves using strong lasers to heat up elements such as hydrogen, creating plasma, but the challenge is in containing the reaction for a long enough period of time.
AnthreX
is it possible to make a sun ?
coz if we do , than we don't need things like fossil fuels to produce heat

Physics news on Phys.org
I think they call this "fusion." And yes, we are working on it (on a much smaller scale than the sun, naturally).

Case closed.

any sucesses? on the trials ?
i heard that they can make the reaction going for like
1 mili second
but does anyone know the process ? like.. how they actually do it ?
all i know is that, it starts from hydrogen or some other element that is being heated up with really strong lasers, and it creates plasma or something
need some opinions thanx

I heard that they put a small sample of tritium and deuterium on something that looks like the tip of a pen, and then concentrate a lot of powerful lasers from all directions. This heats the atoms up and (almost) started the reaction. They couldn't contain the smaple long enough for it to be heated up enough, because the atoms(ions, I should say) repelled each other too strongly.

1. Can we create a sun in a laboratory?

No, it is not currently possible to create a sun in a laboratory. The process of creating a sun involves extremely high temperatures and pressures that are beyond our current technological capabilities.

2. Can we build a man-made sun?

There are ongoing research and development projects exploring the possibility of building a man-made sun, but it is still a long way off. The main challenge is creating a sustained fusion reaction, which requires precise control of high temperatures and pressures.

3. Will creating a sun on Earth be safe?

The safety of creating a sun on Earth is a major concern. The process involves harnessing nuclear fusion, which can have dangerous consequences if not properly controlled. Scientists are working on ways to safely contain the sun's energy, but it is still a challenging task.

4. Can a man-made sun provide renewable energy?

Yes, a man-made sun has the potential to provide a virtually limitless source of renewable energy. Nuclear fusion, the process that powers the sun, produces no greenhouse gases and does not create long-lasting radioactive waste, making it a clean and sustainable energy source.

5. How close are we to creating a sun on Earth?

Creating a sun on Earth is a complex and ongoing scientific endeavor. While there have been significant advancements in the understanding and control of nuclear fusion, we are still far from creating a sustainable man-made sun. It will likely take many more years of research and development before we can achieve this feat.