Is it possible to partially reflect microwaves as we can do with light?

In summary, different types of mirrors and reflective surfaces can be set up to reflect predetermined amounts of light, like 70% of it, or 30%, or 99% of it, while letting the rest through. Can the same be done with microwaves? It seems even very very weak metal cages can completely reflect microwaves. Is there a way to have some kind of surface that reflects only a certain percentage of the MW radiation while letting the rest pass through (unabsorbed)?
Xtensity
Different types of mirrors and reflective surfaces can be set up to reflect predetermined amounts of light, like 70% of it, or 30%, or 99% of it, while letting the rest through. Can the same be done with microwaves? It seems even very very weak metal cages can completely reflect microwaves. Is there a way to have some kind of surface that reflects only a certain percentage of the MW radiation while letting the rest pass through (unabsorbed)?

Science news on Phys.org
walls of brick, wood, concrete etc depending on their thickness will have varying attenuation which ill also be frequency dependant

Any solid metal structure will not allow any RF to pass
a metal mesh cage of a given size of holes will act as a high pass filter allowing frequencies above a certain range to pass through the holes ( gaps)

look at your microwave oven, you will see that there is a metalised mesh screen over the glass door ... it allows the really high freq of light to pass through but not the lower freq of 2.45 GHz RF
that the oven produces to cook the food

Dave

I understand the basic functioning of a microwave, but my question was more focused on the actual mechanics of how an object might could reflect a fraction of microwaves that hit it, while letting the rest past through, while absorbing none. My curiosity stems from my recent research into LASING and the bridge into the realm of MASING. I just can't seem to find information specific to my question, or whether or not such a thing is even possible.

Xtensity said:
, but my question was more focused on the actual mechanics of how an object might could reflect a fraction of microwaves that hit it, while letting the rest past through, while absorbing none
I cannot imagine a system / material where none would be absorbed. I would expect there always to be some % absorbed. With the result the final 100% result would be an addition of
1) what is absorbed
2) what is transmitted through
3) what is reflected

This is a standard problem in electromagnetics. At every interface where there is an impedance change (such as vacuum to dielectric), a portion of the incident wave is transmitted and the rest reflected. These are described by transmission and reflection coefficients that depend on properties of the media, on the angle of incidence, and on the polarization.

Xtensity said:
I understand the basic functioning of a microwave, but my question was more focused on the actual mechanics of how an object might could reflect a fraction of microwaves that hit it, while letting the rest past through, while absorbing none. My curiosity stems from my recent research into LASING and the bridge into the realm of MASING. I just can't seem to find information specific to my question, or whether or not such a thing is even possible.
Masers were around before Lasers. I remember that my Physics course reading list included "Optical Masers" by O.S. Heavens.

The behaviour of a wave at an interface is easiest to consider in the context of transmission lines. It is relatively easy to produce a discontinuity in a transmission like that will reflect / absorb / transmit any fraction of the power you want. To do it in 3D with an free wave and a large screen you can use a grid of holes of various sizes and shapes in a metal plate and you can also introduce lossy material if you wanted to. You basically need to produce an appropriate complex refractive index.
But, if you are talking in terms of 'an object' then the size of the object will be a major factor in how it affects an incident wave. Measurable diffraction will happen if the object is not many wavelengths wide. Can you be more specific about the context?

Xtensity said:
while absorbing none
This does not happen with light and mirrors. There is always some absorption also. Same with microwaves.

Likes davenn
DaleSpam said:
This does not happen with light and mirrors. There is always some absorption also. Same with microwaves.
which is what I say way back in post #5 :)

Dave

Well, superconductors will be highly efficient for reflecting/transmitting (with suitable geometry) microwaves.

1. Is it possible to partially reflect microwaves?

Yes, it is possible to partially reflect microwaves. Just like light, microwaves are a form of electromagnetic radiation and can be reflected under certain conditions.

2. What determines the amount of microwaves that can be reflected?

The amount of microwaves that can be reflected depends on the material and its properties. Specifically, the reflectivity of a material is determined by its dielectric constant and its conductivity.

3. Can microwaves be reflected at different angles?

Yes, microwaves can be reflected at different angles depending on the surface they are reflecting off of. Just like with light, the angle of incidence and the angle of reflection are equal.

4. How does the reflectivity of microwaves compare to that of light?

The reflectivity of microwaves is generally lower than that of light. This is because the wavelength of microwaves is much longer than that of light, which makes it harder for them to interact with and be reflected by small objects.

5. Are there any practical applications for partially reflecting microwaves?

Yes, there are several practical applications for partially reflecting microwaves. One example is in radar technology, where partially reflecting microwaves can be used to detect objects and measure distances. Microwaves are also partially reflected in microwave ovens, which helps to evenly distribute heat and cook food more efficiently.