Is it possible to use air as a medium to display images?

  • Level: Undergrad 
  • Thread starter Thread starter GreenAce92
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    Air Images Medium
Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
5 replies · 3K views
GreenAce92
Messages
40
Reaction score
0
Yes holographs but not really

So... I guess what I'm trying to get around is energy levels

I will admit that my understanding is vague

I believe I understand that certain gases are easier to excite (to give off light when going back down) like xenon but what about the general atmospher eg. oxygen, nitrogen

I thought about using magnetic fields and then projecting an inverse image

If a screen uses Red Green Blue then in theory couldn't I create a screen from the air using this principle ?

I thought that if I could excite the air so that the air is ready to give off light, couldn't I control what light is given off by beaming a certain anti-light so if I wanted red, I would beam everything else but red 900nm or something

I just wonder if holograms are not good if they need to lasers and special gases perhaps enclosed in a container or mirrors...
 
Physics news on Phys.org
Interesting idea. In the aurorae borialis and australis the nitrogen and oxygen atoms in the air get excited by particles coming from the sun. They are guided to the polar regions by the Earth's magnetic field.
 
Is that sort of event replicable without any crazy technology?

I mean, marketable anyway

The Earth's magnetic field isn't very strong right? What about the energy from the sun? The solar flares? Is that a lot? MeV's or something?
 
GreenAce92 said:
Is that sort of event replicable without any crazy technology?

I mean, marketable anyway ...
a shop coloured neon sign is basically the same principal.Dave
 
Isn't that using non-normal gas?

That's a defined shape too

No control

It's like, screens are 2dimensional so the format of the holgram ought to follow a similar suite though I suppose you might as well take advantage of the extra dimension. Now pages can truly appear to be stacked.
 
Last edited:
What if you were to combine acoustics with projection? Might there be a way to compress the air using acoustics waves enough to reflect to scatter projected light?