Is it Possible? Laser Generated from Non-Absorbable Substances

• Thread starter A-A
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of reducing the problem of laser absorption by the environment by generating lasers from substances that are not easily absorbed by water. However, the relationship between the type of laser emitted and its solubility in water is not straightforward. While it may be possible to find a laser that emits wavelengths not absorbed by water vapor, the issue becomes more complicated with the presence of clouds, which also reflect light.
A-A
I don't know anything about physics but some times I wonder whether a particular procedure is possible or not. As for this post, It is known that a major problem with use of laser is absorption by the environment (ex. clouds or any form of water vapor). It is also known that laser (as far as I know) could be generated from substances such as CO2 and N2 which are easily absorbable by environment due to their nature. Now, my question is "if laser could be generated from substances that are not easily absorbable by environment could the problem stated above at least be reduced?"

tq.

Physics news on Phys.org
A-A said:
I don't know anything about physics but some times I wonder whether a particular procedure is possible or not. As for this post, It is known that a major problem with use of laser is absorption by the environment (ex. clouds or any form of water vapor). It is also known that laser (as far as I know) could be generated from substances such as CO2 and N2 which are easily absorbable by environment due to their nature. Now, my question is "if laser could be generated from substances that are not easily absorbable by environment could the problem stated above at least be reduced?"

tq.
What do you mean with "easily absorbable by environment"? If you take any gas, it would certainly mix with air if you release it; if you shoot a lead bullet on a rock, in a sense you could say as well that it was "absorbed by environment".

lightarrow said:
What do you mean with "easily absorbable by environment"? If you take any gas, it would certainly mix with air if you release it; if you shoot a lead bullet on a rock, in a sense you could say as well that it was "absorbed by environment".

by absorption of laser I mean reduction of its power (this is not the same as shooting a bullet). as you know, atmospheric use of laser is heavily influenced by turbulence (The basic mechanisms of atmospheric currents are wind shear and heating. Under turbulent conditions, flow is broken up into vortices and eddies, each of these possessing a slightly different temperature. This results in the volume of the eddy possessing a slightly different refractive index. If we pass a beam of light through an interface between two substances with different refractive indices, it will change its direction) and water vapor (ex. clouds, fog). Now, my question is that (i may be totally wrong, correct me if i am): given that water by nature absorbs substances (gases or name it whatever) like carbon very well (an evident proof is pretty polluted rain falls over industrialized cities) and that laser produced from such gases may also be absorbed well by water. is it possible to study the substances that are not absorbed easily by water and generate a kind of laser from them that is resistant to water vapor?

A-A said:
by absorption of laser I mean reduction of its power (this is not the same as shooting a bullet). as you know, atmospheric use of laser is heavily influenced by turbulence (The basic mechanisms of atmospheric currents are wind shear and heating. Under turbulent conditions, flow is broken up into vortices and eddies, each of these possessing a slightly different temperature. This results in the volume of the eddy possessing a slightly different refractive index. If we pass a beam of light through an interface between two substances with different refractive indices, it will change its direction) and water vapor (ex. clouds, fog). Now, my question is that (i may be totally wrong, correct me if i am): given that water by nature absorbs substances (gases or name it whatever) like carbon very well (an evident proof is pretty polluted rain falls over industrialized cities) and that laser produced from such gases may also be absorbed well by water. is it possible to study the substances that are not absorbed easily by water and generate a kind of laser from them that is resistant to water vapor?

Now I've understood what you intended, but you was not clear at all.

Actually there is no (obvious or simple) relation between the fact that, e.g., a CO2 laser emits wavelenghts absorbed by water and the fact CO2 is water-soluble (or easily absorbed by water).

Concerning water vapour only, it shouldn't be difficult to find a kind of laser which emits wavelenghts not absobed by it; concerning clouds it's all another story: they are also made of tiny drops of liquid water, which reflects (almost all kind of) light.

FAQ: Is it Possible? Laser Generated from Non-Absorbable Substances

1. Can lasers be generated from non-absorbable substances?

Yes, it is possible to generate lasers from non-absorbable substances. The key is to use a method called stimulated emission, where atoms are excited to emit photons of light in a specific direction, creating a laser beam. This process can be achieved in both absorbable and non-absorbable materials.

2. How does stimulated emission work in non-absorbable substances?

In non-absorbable substances, stimulated emission works by using external energy sources such as electrical currents or intense light to excite the atoms. This leads to the emission of photons in a specific direction, creating a laser beam. The process is similar to how it works in absorbable materials, but with an external energy source rather than the absorption of light.

3. What are some examples of non-absorbable substances that can generate lasers?

Some examples of non-absorbable substances that can generate lasers include gases like carbon dioxide, helium-neon, and argon, as well as solid-state materials like crystals, semiconductors, and glasses. These substances are commonly used in laser technology and have been shown to produce efficient and powerful laser beams.

4. Are there any limitations to generating lasers from non-absorbable substances?

One limitation of using non-absorbable substances to generate lasers is that they may require higher energy inputs compared to absorbable materials. This can make the process more complex and expensive. Additionally, not all non-absorbable substances are suitable for laser generation, as they must have the right properties and structures to undergo stimulated emission.

5. What are the potential applications of lasers generated from non-absorbable substances?

The potential applications of lasers generated from non-absorbable substances are vast and diverse. They are commonly used in industries such as manufacturing, medicine, and communications. They can also be used in research and scientific experiments, as well as in everyday technologies like barcode scanners and DVD players.