Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is It Possible?

1. Jan 3, 2008 #1

A-A

I don't know anything about physics but some times I wonder whether a particular procedure is possible or not. As for this post, It is known that a major problem with use of laser is absorption by the environment (ex. clouds or any form of water vapor). It is also known that laser (as far as I know) could be generated from substances such as CO2 and N2 which are easily absorbable by environment due to their nature. Now, my question is "if laser could be generated from substances that are not easily absorbable by environment could the problem stated above at least be reduced?"

tq.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 3, 2008 #2
    What do you mean with "easily absorbable by environment"? If you take any gas, it would certainly mix with air if you release it; if you shoot a lead bullet on a rock, in a sense you could say as well that it was "absorbed by environment".

4. Jan 3, 2008 #3

A-A

by absorption of laser I mean reduction of its power (this is not the same as shooting a bullet). as you know, atmospheric use of laser is heavily influenced by turbulence (The basic mechanisms of atmospheric currents are wind shear and heating. Under turbulent conditions, flow is broken up into vortices and eddies, each of these possessing a slightly different temperature. This results in the volume of the eddy possessing a slightly different refractive index. If we pass a beam of light through an interface between two substances with different refractive indices, it will change its direction) and water vapor (ex. clouds, fog). Now, my question is that (i may be totally wrong, correct me if i am): given that water by nature absorbs substances (gases or name it whatever) like carbon very well (an evident proof is pretty polluted rain falls over industrialized cities) and that laser produced from such gases may also be absorbed well by water. is it possible to study the substances that are not absorbed easily by water and generate a kind of laser from them that is resistant to water vapor?

5. Jan 4, 2008 #4
    Now I've understood what you intended, but you was not clear at all.

Actually there is no (obvious or simple) relation between the fact that, e.g., a CO2 laser emits wavelenghts absorbed by water and the fact CO2 is water-soluble (or easily absorbed by water).

Concerning water vapour only, it shouldn't be difficult to find a kind of laser which emits wavelenghts not absobed by it; concerning clouds it's all another story: they are also made of tiny drops of liquid water, which reflects (almost all kind of) light.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?