Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is light speed attainable for space craft from Jupiter's magnetic field is a joke?

1. Nov 8, 2012 #1
    I heard that light speed is attainable for a space craft from Jupiter's magnetic field and by Lorentz force. in this concept electric charge is turned on in a space craft orbiting Jupiter and Lorentz force caused by Jupiter's high magnetic field causes space craft to rotate around Jupiter faster and faster; when light speed is attained electric charge is turned off and space craft shoots through space at light speed.

my question is this; is any velocity higher than Jupiter's escape velocity is possible to attained by the above said concept?

I strongly feel that after attaining escape velocity of Jupiter, space craft will shoot to outer space: am I correct?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 8, 2012 #2
    Bud, SR forbids *all* travel through space at or faster than the local value of C. Put another way, you can never go as fast or faster than light through a given medium.

Escape velocity from Jupiter does not equal escape velocity from the sun.

4. Nov 9, 2012 #3

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Re: is light speed attainable for space craft from Jupiter's magnetic field is a joke

Sure you can. Cherenkov radiation is a direct result of particle traveling faster than light through a medium. The key is that nothing can ever exceed c, the speed of light in a vacuum, and nothing with invariant mass can ever reach c.

5. Nov 9, 2012 #4
    Re: is light speed attainable for space craft from Jupiter's magnetic field is a joke

Intriguing. . . Your comment spurred me to do some more digging, and it appears that virtual photons (per QFT) don't even have to travel at c over short distances.

Thanks for setting me straight!

6. Nov 9, 2012 #5

Drakkith

Staff: Mentor

Hmmm...it may be better to leave virtual particles out of any talk of the speed of light, as things tend to get...confusing if you bring them up anywhere but the QM forum. Well, not even then, as things still get confusing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook