Is log(x) well-defined on [-1,1]?

• Thread starter docnet
  • Start date
In summary: Well-behaved means that the function is single-valued on the entire complex plane and is also well-behaved on the contour that goes around the origin.
docnet
Gold Member
Homework Statement
is log(x) well-defined on [-1,1]?
Relevant Equations
is log(x) well-defined on [-1,1]?
True/False: The logarithm is undefined on ##[-1,0]## and well defined on ##(0,1]##. Thus log(x) is well-defined on ##[-1,1]##.

1. True. Undefined does not mean not well defined.

2. False. Undefined means not well defined.

• Wow
Likes Delta2
Physics news on Phys.org
In my opinion undefined is a special case of not well defined (not well defined is a generic notion and can mean other things too) so it is 2.False.

Likes docnet
##\log(x)## is multi-valued for negative values of ##x## and so I think it should be false.

• Informative
Likes docnet and Delta2
Delta2 said:
In my opinion undefined is a special case of not well defined (not well defined is a generic notion and can mean other things too) so it is 2.False.

I read on Wiki that "A function that is not well defined is not the same as a function that is undefined. For example, if f(x) = 1/x, then the fact that f(0) is undefined does not mean that the f is not well defined – but that 0 is simply not in the domain of f." Does it mean that log(x) is defined on [0,1]?

HomogenousCow said:
##\log(x)## is multi-valued for negative values of ##x## and so I think it should be false.
Could you please explain why log(x) is multivalued for negative values of x? what about the case when x is a complex number, is the logarithm undefined over ##\{x|Re(x)<0\}## or over the origin?

docnet said:
I read on Wiki that "A function that is not well defined is not the same as a function that is undefined. For example, if f(x) = 1/x, then the fact that f(0) is undefined does not mean that the f is not well defined – but that 0 is simply not in the domain of f." Does it mean that log(x) is defined on [0,1]?
In my opinion f=1/x is undefined on 0 means the f is not well defined on R but f is well defined on R-{0}. It depends which set you consider the domain set in order to say if f is well defined or not well defined on that set.

Likes docnet
What are the definitions of well defined and undefined in your class? Does it match Wikipedia?

Likes docnet
Delta2 said:
In my opinion f=1/x is undefined on 0 means the f is not well defined on R but f is well defined on R-{0}. It depends which set you consider the domain set in order to say if f is well defined or not well defined on that set.
The question is in context of contour integration, while trying to use the fundamental theorem of calculus to evaluate $$\int_C \frac{1}{z}dz$$
where $$\mathcal C=\{z=(\cos(t),\sin(t))|0\leq t\leq 2\pi\}$$

And I was trying to see if the antiderivative ##F(z)=\log(z)## is well-defined on ##\mathcal C## because in the class notes my professor says the antiderivative should to be well defined over the contour to use the fact that if ##\mathcal C## is a closed curve, then the contour integral zero, but only if the antiderivative ##F(z)## is well behaved.

Office_Shredder said:
What are the definitions of well defined and undefined in your class? Does it match Wikipedia?
My class notes say that undefined means multivalued. I might be just making a big deal out of nothing, because we can still compute the integral using FTC even if ##F(x)## is not well behaved.

docnet said:
And I was trying to see if the antiderivative ##F(z)=\log(z)## is well-defined on ##\mathcal C## because in the class notes my professor says the antiderivative should to be well defined over the contour to use the fact that if ##\mathcal C## is a closed curve, then the contour integral zero, but only if the antiderivative ##F(z)## is well behaved.
Well behaved where? On the entire complex plane, on the contour, or in some other region?

docnet said:
My class notes say that undefined means multivalued. I might be just making a big deal out of nothing, because we can still compute the integral using FTC even if ##F(x)## is not well behaved.
As you know, by definition, a function is single-valued. It unambiguously maps a point ##a## in its domain to a point ##b## in its codomain. If a "function" ##f## maps a point ##a## to two different points ##b_1## and ##b_2##, it is not a well-defined function because you can't unambiguously say either ##f(a) = b_1## or ##f(a)=b_2##. It's in that sense that ##f(a)## is undefined.

Consider the point ##z=1## in the complex plane. You can represent ##z## in polar form as ##z_1 = e^{0i}## or ##z_2 = e^{2\pi i}##. What do you get for ##\log z_1## and ##\log z_2##?

• Love
Likes docnet
vela said:
Well behaved where? On the entire complex plane, on the contour, or in some other region?As you know, by definition, a function is single-valued. It unambiguously maps a point ##a## in its domain to a point ##b## in its codomain. If a "function" ##f## maps a point ##a## to two different points ##b_1## and ##b_2##, it is not a well-defined function because you can't unambiguously say either ##f(a) = b_1## or ##f(a)=b_2##. It's in that sense that ##f(a)## is undefined.

Consider the point ##z=1## in the complex plane. You can represent ##z## in polar form as ##z_1 = e^{0i}## or ##z_2 = e^{2\pi i}##. What do you get for ##\log z_1## and ##\log z_2##?
I think the antiderivative has to be well behaved in the region enclosed by the contour. But, if the singular point(s) of ##f(z)## are all enclosed by the contour, as in the case with ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z}## then one can still evaluate the integral using the F.T.C using an involution about a circle...?

With ##z=e^{2\pi i k}## for integer values of ##k##, ##\log(z)## has infinitely many values, i.e. ##2\pi i k##, unless you define the polar form ##z=r\cdot e^{i\theta}## with ##\theta=\theta mod(2\pi)##. Then ##log(z)## would be single valued everywhere except the origin.

docnet said:
I think the antiderivative has to be well behaved in the region enclosed by the contour. But, if the singular point(s) of ##f(z)## are all enclosed by the contour, as in the case with ##f(z)=\frac{1}{z}## then one can still evaluate the integral using the F.T.C using an involution about a circle...?
Right, but you just need to be careful. For your problem, the contour begins and ends at ##z=1##, but it would be wrong to say
$$\int_C \frac 1z dz = \log z \big\vert_{z=1}^{z=1} = 0.$$

docnet said:
With ##z=e^{2\pi i k}## for integer values of ##k##, ##\log(z)## has infinitely many values, i.e. ##2\pi i k##, unless you define the polar form ##z=r\cdot e^{i\theta}## with ##\theta=\theta mod(2\pi)##. Then ##log(z)## would be single valued everywhere except the origin.
Correct again. With no conditions on ##\theta##, ##\log z## isn't a well-defined function. Sometimes it's referred oxymoronically as a multi-valued function. You can deal with this using Riemann sheets, branch cuts, etc., to effectively make the complex log single-valued.

• Love
Likes vanhees71 and docnet
vela said:
Right, but you just need to be careful. For your problem, the contour begins and ends at ##z=1##, but it would be wrong to say
$$\int_C \frac 1z dz = \log z \big\vert_{z=1}^{z=1} = 0.$$Correct again. With no conditions on ##\theta##, ##\log z## isn't a well-defined function. Sometimes it's referred oxymoronically as a multi-valued function. You can deal with this using Riemann sheets, branch cuts, etc., to effectively make the complex log single-valued.
Is it acceptable to write
$$\int_C \frac 1z dz = \log z \big\vert_{z_1}^{z_2} = \log(z_2)-\log(z_1).$$ and introduce the branch cut ##z_2=z_1=1##?

Is the contour integral being zero related to the mean value theorem in PDE (the mean value theorem for the LaPlace equation) that says that the integrals of harmonic functions over ball boundaries are zero?

Last edited:
docnet said:
Is it acceptable to write
$$\int_C \frac 1z dz = \log z \big\vert_{z_1}^{z_2} = \log(z_2)-\log(z_1).$$ and introduce the branch cut ##z_2=z_1=1##?
The cut would start at the singularity at ##z=0## and extend along the ##+x## axis. That way the log is continuous along the entire contour except at the endpoints.

docnet said:
Is the contour integral being zero related to the mean value theorem in PDE (the mean value theorem for the LaPlace equation) that says that the integrals of harmonic functions over ball boundaries are zero?
No, because the integral isn't 0. Try parameterizing the contour as ##z=e^{it}## and evaluating it that way.

Likes docnet and DaveE
vela said:
The cut would start at the singularity at ##z=0## and extend along the ##+x## axis. That way the log is continuous along the entire contour except at the endpoints.No, because the integral isn't 0. Try parameterizing the contour as ##z=e^{it}## and evaluating it that way.
If one introduces a branch cut that starts at the singularity at ##z=0## and extends along the ##+x## axis, then does it imply that the domain of t is ##[0,2\pi]## and ##2\pi \not\equiv 0##? If that's true then ##\log(e^{2\pi i})=2\pi i \neq 1 = e^0## ?

Using this new information,

Evaluating the integral using the F.T.C:

$$\log(e^{2\pi i})-\log(e^0)=2\pi i-0$$

Check:

$$\int_0^{2\pi}f(z(t))z'(t)dt = \int_0^{2\pi}\frac{ie^{it}}{e^{it}}dt=\int_0^{2\pi}idt=2\pi i $$

So if one parametrizes the unit circle using values of t such that ##2\pi k\leq t\leq 2\pi (k+1)## for any real valued k and define the branch cuts ## 0\leq r, t=2\pi (k+1)##, the integral is still equal to ##2\pi i##. Do I still have the right idea? Thank you @vela.

Yup, you got it.

Likes docnet

1. What does it mean for a function to be "well-defined"?

A function is considered well-defined if it has a unique output for every input. In other words, each input has a single corresponding output and there are no ambiguities or contradictions in the function's definition.

2. Is log(x) well-defined on the interval [-1,1]?

No, log(x) is not well-defined on the interval [-1,1] because the logarithm function is only defined for positive values. When x is negative or zero, the logarithm is undefined. Therefore, log(x) is not well-defined on the interval [-1,1] which includes negative and zero values.

3. Why is it important for a function to be well-defined?

It is important for a function to be well-defined because it ensures that the function is consistent and reliable. A well-defined function will always produce the same output for a given input and there will be no confusion or contradictions in its definition. This allows for more accurate and meaningful mathematical calculations and analysis.

4. Can a function be partially well-defined?

No, a function cannot be partially well-defined. It is either well-defined or not. If a function has any ambiguities or contradictions in its definition, it is not considered well-defined.

5. How can we determine if a function is well-defined?

To determine if a function is well-defined, we need to check if each input has a unique output and if there are no contradictions or ambiguities in the function's definition. This can be done by analyzing the domain and range of the function and checking for any potential issues such as division by zero or negative values. In the case of log(x), we know that it is not well-defined on the interval [-1,1] because it violates the domain restriction of the logarithm function.