Is my physics GRE score strong enough?

In summary: Cause the best practice (in my view) is the real thing, and there is not enough time for additional takes after Quantum Mechanics, E&M 2, and Statistical Mechanics are complete and before scores are due for the grad school...
thisisphysics
Hey! So I got my physics GRE score back. Got a 780, which I'm happy with, but I'm wondering, is it strong enough for the most competitive programs? Here's my profile:

3.76 GPA
4 years of research experience, 2-3 publications
URM: racial minority, first-gen, low-income
Majoring in math and physics at an Ivy

Physics news on Phys.org
thisisphysics said:
Hey! So I got my physics GRE score back. Got a 780, which I'm happy with, but I'm wondering, is it strong enough for the most competitive programs? Here's my profile:

3.76 GPA

You are at an Ivy League school. Ask your advisor or one of your professor. He/she should be able to tell you.

Zz.

Likes StatGuy2000, Uzair hyder, Vanadium 50 and 2 others
thisisphysics said:

3.76 GPA

I've got a couple students I'm mentoring aiming for the "most competitive programs." One student I mentored was recently admitted to Harvard. Another student's profile is:

Top 30 school
4.0 GPA
4+ years of research experience
7 peer-reviewed publications, first author on 6
Physics major, Math minor

If their PGRE score were only a 780, I'd recommend they take it again after preparing diligently and addressing weak areas. A 780 puts one in the 64th percentile, which may or may not get one into the "most competitive" schools. An 860-880 would be my cut-off for the student I'm mentoring with the above profile to stand pat. And I know what is in this student's recommendation letters and that they are excellent - probably the strongest recommendation letters in their department in the past 20 years.

The goal is not just to barely get into one of the most competitive schools, it's to get into all the ones you apply to and to have several research advisers all eager for you to join their groups at each school, so you get to pick what you'd really want to do.

Likes bhobba, berkeman and thisisphysics
Dr. Courtney said:
I've got a couple students I'm mentoring aiming for the "most competitive programs." One student I mentored was recently admitted to Harvard. Another student's profile is:

Top 30 school
4.0 GPA
4+ years of research experience
7 peer-reviewed publications, first author on 6
Physics major, Math minor
Zowie... :smile:

Thank you everyone for the advice! I guess I'll retake! I know to do practice tests and read conquering the pGRE. Any other advice?

A 780 is the 64th percentile. That puts you in the top 7200 test-takers. There are 3500 students entering grad school every year.

Likes bhobba and thisisphysics
Vanadium 50 said:
A 780 is the 64th percentile. That puts you in the top 7200 test-takers. There are 3500 students entering grad school every year.

Thank you for the information! So you're suggesting retaking?

I'm not suggesting anything. Furthermore, retaking will only help you if your score goes way up. Any reason to believe that will be true?

Likes bhobba
Vanadium 50 said:
I'm not suggesting anything. Furthermore, retaking will only help you if your score goes way up. Any reason to believe that will be true?

@Vanadium 50, the GRE (including the subject-based GREs like the pGRE) tests for acquired knowledge. So presumably the more someone reviews the material required and practices with mock tests, then the greater the likelihood that individual will improve their score, all else being equal.

You seem to be suggesting otherwise. Any reason to back that up?

Likes thisisphysics
I've seen people who have retaken it do better. I've seen them not do better. In general, the people who do better spend serious time working on it and don't simply "retake" it.

Likes bhobba
The other thing that tends to improve scores on retakes in addition to focused preparation is that if a semester has passed, many undergrads will have several additional physics courses under their belt (complete or nearly so). One student I'm mentoring won't have had Quantum Mechanics, E&M 2, or Statistical Mechanics when they take the pGRE for the first time, but they will by the second try.

Dr. Courtney said:
The other thing that tends to improve scores on retakes in addition to focused preparation is that if a semester has passed, many undergrads will have several additional physics courses under their belt (complete or nearly so). One student I'm mentoring won't have had Quantum Mechanics, E&M 2, or Statistical Mechanics when they take the pGRE for the first time, but they will by the second try.

Then why did they take the test the first time around?

Zz.

ZapperZ said:
Then why did they take the test the first time around?

Zz.

Cause the best practice (in my view) is the real thing, and there is not enough time for additional takes after Quantum Mechanics, E&M 2, and Statistical Mechanics are complete and before scores are due for the grad school applications. I can't in good conscience recommend a student only take the PGRE once when the stakes are so high. There are many undergrad Physics programs that backload key coursework and put students in this position.

Vanadium 50 said:
I've seen people who have retaken it do better. I've seen them not do better. In general, the people who do better spend serious time working on it and don't simply "retake" it.

I am operating under the assumption that people who are retaking the pGRE are doing so specifically to improve their scores, and thus are actively and seriously working on improving the understanding required to do just that, instead of simply "retaking" the test.

Likes thisisphysics
That's not a bad assumption, but many folks underestimate the work to make a substantial improvement. I've seen substantial motion - but it took a year of solid work.

Likes bhobba

1. What is considered a strong physics GRE score?

A strong physics GRE score is typically considered to be in the 90th percentile or above. This translates to a score of around 900 or higher on the exam. However, it is important to keep in mind that what is considered a strong score may vary depending on the program or institution you are applying to.

2. How important is my physics GRE score for graduate school admissions?

Your physics GRE score is just one aspect of your application and is not the sole determining factor for graduate school admissions. Admissions committees also consider other factors such as letters of recommendation, research experience, and your undergraduate GPA. However, a strong physics GRE score can help strengthen your overall application.

3. Should I retake the physics GRE if my score is not strong enough?

It ultimately depends on your individual circumstances and the program you are applying to. If your score is significantly below the average for the program, it may be beneficial to retake the exam. However, if your score is within the average range, it may not be necessary to retake it. It is important to also consider the time and effort it would take to improve your score and if it is worth it for your overall application.

4. How can I improve my physics GRE score?

One way to improve your physics GRE score is to thoroughly review the material covered on the exam and practice with sample questions and exams. It can also be helpful to seek guidance from a tutor or join a study group. Additionally, taking practice exams under timed conditions can help you become more familiar with the format and improve your pacing on the actual exam.

5. Are there any alternative exams that can be submitted instead of the physics GRE?

Some graduate programs may accept alternative exams such as the GRE subject test in physics or the MCAT physics section. It is important to check with the specific program you are applying to and see what exams they accept as an alternative to the physics GRE. Keep in mind that these exams may have different content and scoring systems, so it is important to prepare accordingly.