Is my solution for Kirchoff's Rules Problem correct?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving finding the currents and power in a circuit. The attempt at a solution involved using the formulas V=IR and P=IV, and the person asking for help also shares some tips for making the solution process easier. The final conclusion is that the problem looks sound and can be solved in fewer steps by first solving for the mesh currents.
Kant Destroyer

Homework Statement

QIG1SmS.png

Homework Equations

V = IR
P = IV

The Attempt at a Solution

The attempt is much too long to type out, so here is a link to a picture of my work.

I'm mostly concerned about part C, because I've seen some similar problems and my answer has been different by a magnitude of 10. Does this work look sound?

Physics news on Phys.org
Looks right to me.

As far as I can tell, part C looks fine (assuming that parts b. and c. are right). I do have two tips to share that might make things easier. One, if you remember the other formulas for power, like P=I^2*R, then you can skip a step or two. The second has to do with finding the currents. You have two mesh-currents in this problem, right? One on the left, one on the right. You kind of turned those two variables into three variables before you'd solved any of them, which really kind of complicates things a lot. Just solve for mesh-current 1 and mesh-current 2, then after you've found both of them you can say that the current through the 7 ohm resistor is just mesh-current 1, and the current through the 4 ohm resistor is just mesh-current 1 minus mesh current 2. I think you'll find you can solve the whole thing in much less steps that way.

1. What are Kirchoff's Rules?

Kirchoff's Rules are principles in circuit analysis that are used to determine the voltages and currents at different points in an electrical circuit.

2. What is the difference between Kirchoff's Voltage Law and Kirchoff's Current Law?

Kirchoff's Voltage Law states that the sum of all voltages around a closed loop in a circuit is equal to zero, while Kirchoff's Current Law states that the sum of all currents entering and leaving a node in a circuit is equal to zero.

3. How do I apply Kirchoff's Rules to solve a circuit problem?

To apply Kirchoff's Rules, you must first identify all the nodes and closed loops in the circuit. Then, you can use Kirchoff's Voltage Law and Kirchoff's Current Law to set up a system of equations and solve for the unknown variables.

4. Can Kirchoff's Rules be applied to any type of circuit?

Yes, Kirchoff's Rules can be applied to any type of circuit, including series, parallel, and complex circuits. They can also be used for both DC and AC circuits.

5. What are some common mistakes when using Kirchoff's Rules to solve a circuit problem?

Some common mistakes include forgetting to include all the necessary equations, incorrectly labeling the nodes and loops, and using incorrect signs for the voltages and currents. It is important to carefully follow the rules and double-check your work to avoid these mistakes.