Is Observable A Invariant Under Symmetry Generators G_i?

In summary, to know if an observable is invariant under a set of transformations described by generators ##G_i##, it must fulfill the condition of commuting with the generators. The observable is represented as an operator "##A##" on Hilbert space, and the symmetry generators are also represented as operators on the same space. A helpful resource for further understanding is the textbook "Ballentine".
Kara386
How do I know if an observable is invariant, specifically under some set of transformations described via the generators ##G_i##? Which conditions would this observable have to fulfil?

Physics news on Phys.org
How is the observable defined? Can it be written in terms of Gi?

dextercioby said:
How is the observable defined? Can it be written in terms of Gi?
It's just a quantum mechanical observable, A. I have no more information than that about it. I'm not sure what ##G_i## is, so I'm not sure if it can be written like that. Strange question really, can't seem to find the answer on google. :)

Last edited:
Apparently the answer is that the observable must commute. With what exactly I don't know, but there we are!

The observable is represented as an operator "##A##" (say) on Hilbert space. The symmetry generators ##G_i## are represented as operators on the same Hilbert space. The notion that the observable is invariant under those symmetries is implemented by requiring ##[A, G_i] = 0##. I.e., the observable operator must commute with the symmetry generators.

My only other suggestion is: "get thee to a copy of Ballentine" (quickly). :oldbiggrin:

Likes DrClaude
strangerep said:
The observable is represented as an operator "##A##" (say) on Hilbert space. The symmetry generators ##G_i## are represented as operators on the same Hilbert space. The notion that the observable is invariant under those symmetries is implemented by requiring ##[A, G_i] = 0##. I.e., the observable operator must commute with the symmetry generators.

My only other suggestion is: "get thee to a copy of Ballentine" (quickly). :oldbiggrin:
Yeah, good plan. Quite a lot of textbooks needed, I think. Thanks for your help! :)

Related to Is Observable A Invariant Under Symmetry Generators G_i?

What is meant by "invariance" of an observable A?

Invariance of an observable A refers to the property of the observable remaining unchanged under a given transformation. In other words, the value of the observable A does not depend on the choice of coordinates or reference frame.

What types of transformations can affect the invariance of an observable A?

The most common types of transformations that can affect the invariance of an observable A are rotations, translations, and boosts. These transformations can change the coordinates or reference frame, potentially altering the value of the observable A.

Why is invariance of an observable A important in scientific research?

Invariance of an observable A is important because it allows for consistency and reliability in scientific measurements. If an observable is not invariant, it may vary depending on the chosen coordinates or reference frame, leading to inconsistent or inaccurate results.

How is invariance of an observable A mathematically represented?

Invariance of an observable A is mathematically represented by a transformation law, which describes how the observable changes under a given transformation. This allows for the calculation of the observable in different reference frames, ensuring its invariance.

Are all observables invariant?

No, not all observables are invariant. Some observables, such as position and momentum, are invariant, while others, such as energy, are not. It depends on the specific observable and the type of transformation being applied.