Is the Angle Depiction in the Rainbow Diagram Accurate?

In summary, the conversation discusses a figure given by a teacher to find mistakes in. It is mentioned that the angles on the horizontal lines may be incorrect and the person asks for clarification on how to point this out to their teacher. Another person points out that the order of colors in a rainbow is reversed in one compared to the other, which is not shown in the figure. The person then asks if the angles in the figure are correct, to which the other person responds by asking which angle is larger in the teacher's drawing.
whyonlyme
Is rainbow figure correct ??

Homework Statement

It's a basic principle that why we see rainbow. I've described information in my attachment.
That figure is given by my teacher, he says to find out mistake in it.

My attempts

I think angles on horizontal lines are incorrect, will anyone explain how I tell it to my teacher ?

Attachments

• Rainbow.jpg
    Rainbow.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 401
Physics news on Phys.org

whyonlyme said:

Homework Statement

It's a basic principle that why we see rainbow. I've described information in my attachment.
That figure is given by my teacher, he says to find out mistake in it.

My attempts

I think angles on horizontal lines are incorrect, will anyone explain how I tell it to my teacher ?

One thing - if you look up a picture of a rainbow - especially a double rainbow - you will notice that the order of colours is reversed in one compared to the other.

That feature is NOT shown in the diagram you included.

Try to trace the light rays - both the blue and the red ones- inside the water drop. You will see then what is wrong with your teacher's drawing.

ehild

What about angles ?? are they correct ??

PeterO said:
One thing - if you look up a picture of a rainbow - especially a double rainbow - you will notice that the order of colours is reversed in one compared to the other.

That feature is NOT shown in the diagram you included.
Yes it is.

See http://wiki.pingry.org/u/physics/index.php/Rainbows,_Reflection,_and_Refraction
Which angle is really larger in the drawing of your teacher?

ehild

Last edited:

1. Is the rainbow figure accurate?

The accuracy of the rainbow figure depends on the source of the information. Some sources may have more updated or reliable data than others. It is important to consider the credibility of the source when evaluating the accuracy of the figure.

2. How is the rainbow figure determined?

The rainbow figure is determined by analyzing the visible light spectrum and the way light is refracted and reflected through water droplets in the atmosphere. This results in the formation of a rainbow with distinct colors.

3. Are there always seven colors in a rainbow?

The traditional rainbow figure depicts seven colors - red, orange, yellow, green, blue, indigo, and violet. However, some people may perceive more or less colors depending on their individual vision and the conditions in which the rainbow is seen.

4. Can a rainbow be a full circle?

Yes, a rainbow can form a full circle under certain conditions, such as when viewed from above or when light is reflected off of a body of water. However, the more common and well-known form of a rainbow is a half-circle.

5. Is the rainbow figure the same all over the world?

The rainbow figure is a natural phenomenon that is observed all over the world. However, the specific colors and intensity of the rainbow may vary depending on the location, atmospheric conditions, and time of day.