Is Starting an Oldies Rock Online Radio Station a Viable Idea?

• Thread starter tribdog
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Radio
In summary, the conversation is about a person getting a large collection of oldies rock music from their father, who received it from someone in a class. They discuss the possibility of starting a radio station with science lectures and talk shows, but question the potential audience for such a niche station. They also mention the idea of playing science-themed music as bumper music for talk segments.
tribdog
I don't listen to very much music, but I just couldn't pass this up. I just got an oldies rock station's music library. 60Gigs of Mp3s. EVERYTHING from 1959 to 2000.I don't get it until Christmas, but I've seen it and it took 15 minutes to scan the artist list

Physics news on Phys.org
Where'd you get your paws on that?

my dad got it from a guy in a class he was taking. I guess by the time the classes were over everyone in the class plus most professors had brought in a an external harddrive and gotten a copy. It has every song I could imagine plus it is cataloged so nicely. That's my biggest problem I can't ever get things in order.

Awesome .

and the cool thing is I already owned every album ever made, so there are no laws being broken

what about a radio station with physics lectures and science/math talkshows?

oh yeah, Or how about a bottomless pit we could throw our money into with no hope of ever making a profit. how about a radio station that plays static, but in reverse. ohh how about a station just out of reach on the dial KPFR FM109.7 AM 190

There are plenty of net based radio shows that don't make money. I'm not quite sure how much it costs to run one though.

I don't know if many people would listen to PF Radio but it would definitely be good for when Dr. Kaku does his interviews here. Greg would just have to make sure that Kaku has the proper equipment for his computer.

Hmmmm... maybe he could broadcast lectures of interest.

If PF radio were to broadcast music it would have to be something specialized enough that people couldn't listen to the same thing elsewhere. The one net radio station I've ever listened to plays mostly subcultural music that you rarely if ever hear on the radio and it still doesn't get much of an audience.
Science themed music probably wouldn't bring that much of an audience. It would make good bumper music for talk segments though.

Related to Is Starting an Oldies Rock Online Radio Station a Viable Idea?

1. How do I start a radio station?

Starting a radio station involves several steps, including obtaining a license, finding a frequency, purchasing equipment, and creating programming. It's important to research and plan carefully before beginning the process.

2. Do I need a license to start a radio station?

Yes, in most cases, you will need to obtain a license from the Federal Communications Commission (FCC) in order to legally operate a radio station. This process can be lengthy and may require a significant financial investment.

3. What equipment do I need to start a radio station?

The specific equipment you will need depends on the type of radio station you want to start. At minimum, you will need a transmitter, antenna, and audio equipment. You may also need a studio, computer, and other specialized equipment for broadcasting.

4. How much does it cost to start a radio station?

The cost of starting a radio station can vary greatly depending on factors such as the type of station, equipment needed, and licensing fees. It's important to create a budget and carefully research all costs before beginning the process.

5. What kind of programming can I create for my radio station?

The type of programming you can create for your radio station is only limited by your imagination and resources. You can choose to play music, host talk shows or interviews, cover local events, or even create your own original content. It's important to consider your target audience when deciding on programming.