Non-Ground State Atom: 1s2 2s2 2p5 3s2 3p5 - Possible?

• Thread starter no name
  • Start date
In summary, the electron configuration 1s2 2s2 2p5 3s2 3p5 is not possible for a non ground state atom. It would have a very short lifetime and is not considered a stable configuration. However, in certain situations it may exist temporarily. It is best to clarify with your teacher why your answer was marked wrong.
no name
is this electron configuration possible for non ground state atom:
1s2 2s2 2p5 3s2 3p5
Thannx in advance

Chemistry news on Phys.org
It will have a very tiny lifetime, probably no longer than nanoseconds - in other words, "NO".

Why do you ask ?

Gokul43201 said:
It will have a very tiny lifetime, probably no longer than nanoseconds - in other words, "NO".

Why do you ask ?

How is it even possible to fill up the 3s orbital when the 2p isn't full?

in my chem quiz there was a question like this ' is it possible to have this electron configuration for an excited atom' ..
i wrote no ... but the teacher marked me wrong ...
wut do u think ..?

anyone has any clue?

Bladibla said:
How is it even possible to fill up the 3s orbital when the 2p isn't full?
You start with a full 2p subshell. Then an electron or photon comes by and knocks out one of the 2p electrons. Very soon, an electron from the 3s subshell falls to occupy the vacancy created. But for a very tiny length of time, the stated configuration exists (but it's unfair to say that such a configuration is, in general, "possible").

no name said:
in my chem quiz there was a question like this ' is it possible to have this electron configuration for an excited atom' ..
i wrote no ... but the teacher marked me wrong ...
wut do u think ..?
You should ask your teacher for his/her reasoning is...and do come back and let us know what it is.

1. What does the term "non-ground state atom" mean?

"Non-ground state atom" refers to an atom that is not in its lowest energy state, or ground state. In this state, the electrons are arranged in the lowest possible energy levels and are more stable compared to higher energy states.

2. What is the electron configuration of a non-ground state atom?

The electron configuration of a non-ground state atom can vary, but it is typically represented in the form of "1s2 2s2 2p5 3s2 3p5". This means that there are 2 electrons in the 1s orbital, 2 electrons in the 2s orbital, 5 electrons in the 2p orbital, 2 electrons in the 3s orbital, and 5 electrons in the 3p orbital.

3. How do atoms reach non-ground state configurations?

Atoms can reach non-ground state configurations through the absorption of energy, such as heat or light. This extra energy can cause electrons to jump to higher energy levels, resulting in a non-ground state configuration.

4. Is a non-ground state atom stable?

Non-ground state atoms are generally less stable than ground state atoms, as they have higher energy levels. However, they can still exist and be relatively stable depending on the specific atom and its energy levels.

5. Can a non-ground state atom transition back to its ground state?

Yes, a non-ground state atom can transition back to its ground state by releasing energy, such as through emission of light or heat. This results in the electrons returning to their lowest energy levels and the atom becoming more stable.