Is the Adherence Condition Still Valid in Turbulent Flow?

• Thread starter Clausius2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Turbulence
In summary, the conversation discusses the adherence condition in Fluid Mechanics and whether it applies to turbulent regimes. The speaker asks for clarification and help translating their statement into Spanish, but ultimately understands that they may have said something wrong. The conversation ends with a mention of a forum thread where the topic is further discussed.
Clausius2
Science Advisor
Gold Member
Hey I came into a doubt in the classical physics forums, and I want to know if I said something stupid.

Usually we employ in Fluid Mechanics the adherence condition (u=0 just on the wall, where fluid and solid meets; u=velocity field). But I'm not sure if in turbulent regimenes this keeps on being correct. Sure that boundary layer separates from the wall, or it is formed a turbulent one. Imagine a vortex near wall, do you think I can impose u=0 at the wall?

Engineering news on Phys.org
That statement is very convoluted.. can u clarify it?... do you need help translating.. tpye it in spanish

Esa declaración es muy complicada.. lo puede lo clarifica? ... lo hace necesita traducir de ayuda.. lo escribe en español. I can understand it better than i can type it, but that should get the point across

Sorry I missed this earlier, Clausius.

Yes, you can still impose u=0 at the wall in a turbulent flow.

KrazyIBKid said:
That statement is very convoluted.. can u clarify it?... do you need help translating.. tpye it in spanish

Esa declaración es muy complicada.. lo puede lo clarifica? ... lo hace necesita traducir de ayuda.. lo escribe en español. I can understand it better than i can type it, but that should get the point across

:smile: My english is disappointing, but your spanish is the worst!. Anyway, Enigma seems to understand me after all. If what you are saying is true, it is certain I have said something stupid. See this thread:

www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=34511

got it.. and yes my spanish is crap i know... but u got what i meant.. like i said i understand it better than i write it

Related to Is the Adherence Condition Still Valid in Turbulent Flow?

What is turbulence?

Turbulence is a chaotic and irregular movement of air or fluid that is caused by the interaction of various forces and can be observed in a wide range of scales, from microscopic to global.

What are the causes of turbulence?

Turbulence can be caused by a variety of factors, including wind shear, changes in temperature or pressure, and the presence of obstacles or irregularities in the flow of air or fluid.

Why is turbulence important to study?

Turbulence plays a crucial role in many natural and man-made systems, such as weather patterns, ocean currents, and the flow of air around airplanes. Understanding turbulence can help us improve our predictions and models of these systems.

How is turbulence measured?

Turbulence can be measured using various instruments, such as anemometers, which measure wind speed and direction, or sensors that detect changes in pressure or temperature. Scientists also use computer simulations to study turbulence in complex systems.

Can turbulence be controlled or prevented?

While turbulence cannot be completely controlled or prevented, there are ways to minimize its effects. For example, airplanes are designed to withstand and minimize turbulence, and buildings can be built with aerodynamic features to reduce wind turbulence. Scientists are also researching ways to better predict and mitigate turbulence in various systems.