Is the Calculation of Req Correct in This Circuit Problem?

In summary, the equation for calculating i2 is (r1 ll r2) + (r3 ll r4) = 0, where r1, r2, and r3 are the resistors in the circuit and I2 is the current through the circuit.
Mach

Homework Statement

Calculate i2, given that r1=12, r2=6, r3=12, r4=6.
There is a 20V source.

The first step here is calculate Req, I believe.

http://media.newschoolers.com/uploads/cache/images/1222468444-632813-600x325-1222468266Untitled2423423.jpg

Homework Equations

Req=(r1 ll r2) + (r3 ll r4)

note: ' ll ' means parallel.

The Attempt at a Solution

1/Req = 1/(6+12)+1/(6+12)

Req=9

The answer says that Req should be 8. Is my formula for Req correct?

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
I think you have the right idea but you're getting the math wrong.

For two resistors in parallel, the equivalent resistance is [tex]\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{R_1} + \frac{1}{R_2}[/tex]

This is NOT the same as [tex]\frac{1}{R_{eq}} = \frac{1}{(R_1+R_2)}[/tex]! (which is what you have done.)

So take it one step at a time, and solve for the Req of R1 and R2, then for R3 and R4, then the Req of the circuit.

Imagine that you remove the wire carrying I2. Assume that the negative side of the voltage source is taken to be a reference (ground). What is the voltage at the junction of R1 and R3? What is the voltage at the junction of R2 and R4? I think that if you calculate those two voltages, you will see that it doesn't take much more calculation to determine I2.

Thanks a lot! I got the answer and have a better understanding of circuits!

By the way thanks for not giving me the answer, haha.

For those others trying the question the answer is: i2=0.833A

Be careful. It looks to me like if you remove the wire carrying I2, the voltage at the junction of R1 and R3 will be 10 volts (with respect to the negative end of the voltage source), and the voltage at the junction of R2 and R4 will also be 10 volts. Do you agree?

And, if that's the case, what will be the value of I2?

Related to Is the Calculation of Req Correct in This Circuit Problem?

What is "Req Calculation"?

"Req Calculation" stands for Requirement Calculation. It is a process used in project management to determine the necessary resources, time, and budget needed to complete a project successfully.

Why is "Req Calculation" important?

"Req Calculation" is important because it helps project managers and teams to plan and allocate resources effectively. It ensures that projects are completed within the given constraints of time, budget, and resources.

What are the steps involved in "Req Calculation"?

The steps involved in "Req Calculation" may vary depending on the project and organization, but generally, it includes identifying project requirements, estimating resource needs, creating a project schedule, and calculating the budget required.

What are the key factors considered in "Req Calculation"?

The key factors considered in "Req Calculation" include project scope, available resources, project deadlines, potential risks, and budget constraints. These factors help in determining the most efficient and effective way to complete the project.

How does "Req Calculation" contribute to project success?

"Req Calculation" contributes to project success by providing a clear understanding of project requirements, identifying potential challenges and risks, and ensuring that the project is completed within the given constraints. It also helps in tracking progress and making necessary adjustments to ensure successful project completion.