Is the composition of a function and a metric a metric?

In summary, the problem is to find a function f that preserves order and satisfies the positivity and symmetry properties of metrics, but fails the triangle inequality when applied to the standard metric d(x,y) on the real number line. The attempt at a solution involves exploring functions that map the standard metric |x-y| to a new 'distance' d'(x,y), with the goal of either proving or disproving the triangle inequality for all functions satisfying the given conditions.
chipotleaway

Homework Statement

Given that f is continuous and strictly increasing, f:[0, ∞)->[0, ∞), f(0)=0, and d(x,y) is the standard metric on the real number line,

Is there a function f such that [itex]d'(x,y)=f(d(x,y))[/itex] is not a metric on the real number line?

The Attempt at a Solution

The standard metric firsts maps (x,y) in R2 to |x-y|, which the function f then takes and maps it to a new 'distance', which preserves order since f is strictly increasing. As far as I can tell, the new metric d'(x,y) satisfies the positivity and symmetry properties of metrics as far as I can tell so I think I need to look at the triangle inequality:
Either showing d'(x,y)≤d'(x,z)+d(z,y) holds, i.e. equivalently, f(|x-y|)≤f(|x-z|)+f(|z-y|)) for all functions satisfying the conditions, or finding an example of such a function where it fails. If the function is strictly increasing - finding f where the triangle doesn't hold seems like it might be pretty tough.

Physics news on Phys.org
chipotleaway said:

Homework Statement

Given that f is continuous and strictly increasing, f:[0, ∞)->[0, ∞), f(0)=0, and d(x,y) is the standard metric on the real number line,

Is there a function f such that [itex]d'(x,y)=f(d(x,y))[/itex] is not a metric on the real number line?

The Attempt at a Solution

The standard metric firsts maps (x,y) in R2 to |x-y|, which the function f then takes and maps it to a new 'distance', which preserves order since f is strictly increasing. As far as I can tell, the new metric d'(x,y) satisfies the positivity and symmetry properties of metrics as far as I can tell so I think I need to look at the triangle inequality:
Either showing d'(x,y)≤d'(x,z)+d(z,y) holds, i.e. equivalently, f(|x-y|)≤f(|x-z|)+f(|z-y|)) for all functions satisfying the conditions, or finding an example of such a function where it fails. If the function is strictly increasing - finding f where the triangle doesn't hold seems like it might be pretty tough.

Have you looked for any such functions? What have you tried?

1. What is the definition of a composition of a function and a metric?

The composition of a function and a metric is a mathematical operation that combines a function and a metric to create a new metric. It is denoted by f∘d, where f is a function and d is a metric.

2. How is a composition of a function and a metric calculated?

The composition of a function and a metric is calculated by first applying the function to the given input, and then applying the metric to the result of the function. This process is repeated for all inputs in the domain of the function.

3. Is the composition of a function and a metric commutative?

No, the composition of a function and a metric is not commutative. This means that the order in which the function and metric are applied can affect the result of the composition. In other words, f∘d may not be equal to d∘f.

4. Can a composition of a function and a metric be a metric itself?

Yes, a composition of a function and a metric can be a metric itself if it satisfies the three properties of a metric: non-negativity, identity, and triangle inequality. However, not all compositions of a function and a metric will be a metric.

5. What is the significance of a composition of a function and a metric in mathematics?

The composition of a function and a metric is important in mathematics because it allows us to define new metrics based on existing functions and metrics. This can help us to better understand and analyze mathematical concepts, and can also be used in various applications such as optimization problems and data analysis.