1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is the composition of a function and a metric a metric?

1. Mar 23, 2014 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Given that f is continuous and strictly increasing, f:[0, ∞)->[0, ∞), f(0)=0, and d(x,y) is the standard metric on the real number line,

Is there a function f such that [itex]d'(x,y)=f(d(x,y))[/itex] is not a metric on the real number line?

3. The attempt at a solution
    The standard metric firsts maps (x,y) in R2 to |x-y|, which the function f then takes and maps it to a new 'distance', which preserves order since f is strictly increasing. As far as I can tell, the new metric d'(x,y) satisfies the positivity and symmetry properties of metrics as far as I can tell so I think I need to look at the triangle inequality:
    Either showing d'(x,y)≤d'(x,z)+d(z,y) holds, i.e. equivalently, f(|x-y|)≤f(|x-z|)+f(|z-y|)) for all functions satisfying the conditions, or finding an example of such a function where it fails. If the function is strictly increasing - finding f where the triangle doesn't hold seems like it might be pretty tough.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 23, 2014 #2

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Have you looked for any such functions? What have you tried?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted