Is the Discrete Time System x[n] → y[n] = x[-n] Time Invariant?

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
1 reply · 2K views
ElijahRockers
Gold Member
Messages
260
Reaction score
10

Homework Statement



I am supposed to determine wether or not the discrete time system

[itex]x[n] \rightarrow y[n] = x[-n][/itex]

is time invariant or not.

The Attempt at a Solution



Let [itex]x_d[n] = x[n-n_0][/itex]

[itex]y_d[n] = x_d[-n] = x[-(n-n_0)] = x[-n+n_0][/itex]

[itex]y[n-n_0] = x[-(n-n_0)] = x[-n+n_0][/itex]

Since [itex]y_d[n] = y[n-n_0][/itex], shouldn't this prove time invariance?

The book says the answer is that it is not time invariant...

From the more qualitative definition, a time invariant system is one for which the behavior does not change depending on when it is evaluated...
Now, I see that for -ve values of n, the system looks ahead, and for +ve values of n the system looks behind. Would this be considered time variant because of this? If so, how do I go about showing that mathematically?
 
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I have just run into a similar problem, where y[n] = Even{x[n-1]}.

When I try shifting the input, then shifting the output and comparing them, the expressions are equal, but the book is telling me the system is not time invariant.