Linear and time-invariant system

In summary: To check for linearity, you can use the principle of superposition by considering multiple inputs and checking if the output is the sum of the individual outputs for each input ... Or you can also use the principle of proportionality by checking if the output is directly proportional to the input ... In summary, all 3 systems are time-invariant, but only the third system is linear while the first two are nonlinear.
cupcake

Homework Statement

consider these systems is linear or time invariant?
a) Y[n]=aX[n]+b
b) Y[n]=X[n] X[n-5]
c) Y[n]=5X[n]+9X[n-5]

Homework Equations

linearity of the system is defined by the principle of proportionality and superposition
and time-invariant system means if a time shift of the input sequence causes a coresponding shift in the output sequence.

The Attempt at a Solution

a) Y[n]=aX[n]+b
input X[n]
X1[n]= X[n-no]
Y1[n]= aX[n-no]+b
Y[n-no]= aX[n-no]+b
so,this system is time-invariant

b)Y[n]=X[n] X[n-5]
input X[n]
Y1[n]=X[n-no] X[n-no-5]
Y[n-no]=X[n-no] X[n-no-5] <- here I'm not sure..
but, I think this system is time-invariant

c)Y[n]=5X[n]+9X[n-5]
input X[n]=X[n-no]
Y1[n]=5X[n-no]+9X[n-no-5]
Y[n-no]=5X[n]-5X[no]+9X[n]-9X[no]+9X[-5]
since the output wasn't as we expect, so the system is not time-invariant

can, someone check my works, am I correct or wrong? and also, how to check whether the system is linear, I know that theoretically the linear system should satisfy the superposition and proportionality, but I'm not sure how to work out with it.. thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
pls anyone?

Hi ...

All the 3 systems are time - invariant ... The first two systems are non-linear

1. What is a linear and time-invariant system?

A linear and time-invariant system is a mathematical model used to describe the behavior of a physical system. It follows the principles of linearity, which means that the output is directly proportional to the input, and time-invariance, which means that the system's behavior does not change over time.

2. What is the significance of linearity in a system?

Linearity is an important property of a system as it allows us to easily analyze and predict the system's behavior. It also enables us to use mathematical tools, such as Fourier transforms, to understand the system's response to different inputs.

3. How does time-invariance affect a system's response?

Time-invariance ensures that a system's response will not change over time, regardless of when the input is applied. This property is particularly useful in systems where the input may vary over time, as it allows us to accurately predict the system's behavior in the future.

4. What are the limitations of a linear and time-invariant system?

While linear and time-invariant systems are useful models for many physical systems, they have limitations. For example, they cannot accurately describe systems with nonlinear behavior, such as chaotic systems. Additionally, they may not be able to accurately predict the behavior of a system under extreme conditions.

5. How are linear and time-invariant systems used in real-world applications?

Linear and time-invariant systems are used in a wide range of fields, including engineering, physics, and economics. They are particularly useful in designing control systems, analyzing electrical circuits, and understanding the behavior of mechanical systems. They are also used in signal processing to filter and analyze signals in communication systems.