Is the function differentiable everywhere?

In summary, the conversation is about determining the differentiability of a function defined by f(x,y) = 0 if (x,y) = (0,0) and f(x,y) = (xy^2)/((x^2+y^4)^1/2) otherwise. The partial derivatives exist everywhere but are not continuous at the origin. It is asked to prove whether the function is differentiable everywhere, except possibly at the origin. The discussion involves checking the limit of the function at the origin using the definition of differentiability and choosing paths to show that the inequality cannot hold for certain values of epsilon. One suggestion is to approach the origin by setting x=y^2 and showing that there cannot be a horizontal plane at the
Essnov
I am hoping someone can help me with the following problem:

Define f by:

[tex]f(x, y) = 0 \ if \ (x, y) = (0,0) \ and \ f(x, y) = \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}} \ otherwise[/tex]

The problem is to determine (and prove) whether the function is differentiable everywhere.

First of all, the partials exist everywhere (they are 0 at the origin in particular) but are not continuous at the origin. Since they are continuous everywhere else, the function is certainly differentiable everywhere, except possibly at the origin.

If the function has a derivative at the origin then it is the zero vector since I have computed the partials to be 0 at the origin. Hence to determine differentiability at the origin I must check whether the following holds:

[tex] \lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{f(x, y) - f(0, 0) - <0,0> \cdot <x, y>}{||(x, y)||} = \lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}(x^{2}+y^{2})^{1/2}} = 0[/tex]

I'm asked to show whether this holds using the definition, i.e.: [tex] \forall \epsilon > 0 \ \exists\ \delta > 0 \ s.t. \ if \ ||(x, y)|| < \delta \ then \ \frac{|x|y^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}} < \epsilon ||(x, y)||[/tex]

This is the part where I am having some issues. In particular I tried choosing paths like x = y or x = y^2 to try and show that the inequality cannot hold for certain values of epsilon but this was not very helpful.

Any tips/hints are greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Essnov said:
I am hoping someone can help me with the following problem:

Define f by:

[tex]f(x, y) = 0 \ if \ (x, y) = (0,0) \ and \ f(x, y) = \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}} \ otherwise[/tex]

The problem is to determine (and prove) whether the function is differentiable everywhere.

First of all, the partials exist everywhere (they are 0 at the origin in particular) but are not continuous at the origin. Since they are continuous everywhere else, the function is certainly differentiable everywhere, except possibly at the origin.

If the function has a derivative at the origin then it is the zero vector since I have computed the partials to be 0 at the origin. Hence to determine differentiability at the origin I must check whether the following holds:

[tex] \lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{f(x, y) - f(0, 0) - <0,0> \cdot <x, y>}{||(x, y)||} = \lim_{(x, y)\rightarrow(0,0)} \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}(x^{2}+y^{2})^{1/2}} = 0[/tex]

I'm asked to show whether this holds using the definition, i.e.: [tex] \forall \epsilon > 0 \ \exists\ \delta > 0 \ s.t. \ if \ ||(x, y)|| < \delta \ then \ \frac{|x|y^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}} < \epsilon ||(x, y)||[/tex]

This is the part where I am having some issues. In particular I tried choosing paths like x = y or x = y^2 to try and show that the inequality cannot hold for certain values of epsilon but this was not very helpful.

Any tips/hints are greatly appreciated.

I think you are supposing here that in the origin the tangent plane is the horizontal plane.
But:
[tex]\lim_{(x, y) \to (0,0)} \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{2}+y^{4})^{1/2}(x^{2}+y^{2})^{1/2}} = \lim_{(x, y) \to (0,0)} \frac{xy^{2}}{(x^{4}+y^{6}+x^2y^2+x^2y^4)^{1/2}} [/tex]

If you approach the origin by [itex]x=y^2[/itex]
you have
[tex]\lim_{(x) \to (0)} \frac{x^{2}}{(x^{2}(2+2x^2)^{1/2}} = \frac{1}{\sqrt2} [/tex]
so there cannot be any horizontal plane there.
I'm not sure 100%, I hope this helps.

Last edited:

1. What does it mean for a function to be differentiable everywhere?

When a function is differentiable everywhere, it means that it is possible to find the derivative of the function at every point in its domain. This indicates that the function is smooth and has a well-defined slope at every point.

2. How do you determine if a function is differentiable everywhere?

A function is differentiable everywhere if its derivative exists at every point in its domain. This can be determined by checking if the function is continuous and if the derivative exists at every point in its domain. If both of these conditions are met, then the function is differentiable everywhere.

3. What are the consequences of a function not being differentiable everywhere?

If a function is not differentiable everywhere, it means that there are points in its domain where the derivative does not exist. This can result in sharp corners, breaks, or vertical tangents in the graph of the function. It also means that the function is not smooth and may not have a well-defined slope at every point.

4. Can a function be differentiable everywhere but not continuous?

No, a function cannot be differentiable everywhere if it is not continuous. This is because the existence of a derivative at a point requires the function to be continuous at that point. Therefore, a function must be continuous everywhere in its domain in order to be differentiable everywhere.

5. How does differentiability relate to the smoothness of a function?

A function that is differentiable everywhere is considered to be smooth. This is because a differentiable function has a well-defined slope at every point in its domain, which results in a smooth and continuous graph. On the other hand, a function that is not differentiable everywhere may have sharp corners or breaks, making it less smooth.