Is the limit of functions necessarily equal to "itself"?

In summary, the conversation discussed different mathematical concepts such as limits, continuity, and derivatives, and their applications in physics. The main focus was on understanding the direction of acceleration in uniform circular motion and clarifying any potential misunderstandings. It was concluded that the direction of acceleration is defined as the limit of the direction of change in velocity as the time interval approaches zero. This means that the direction of acceleration is not necessarily the same as the direction of change in velocity.
Philethan
As I read in the James Stewart's Calculus 7th edition, he said:
Picture Link:https://www.dropbox.com/s/aynxv7kuh7edqpi/相片 2015-1-28 13 16 39.jpg?dl=0
An alternative notation for

[itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow a}f(x) = L[/itex]

is

[itex]f(x) \rightarrow L[/itex] as [itex]x \rightarrow a[/itex]

which is usually read "f(x) approaches L as x approaches a"

My question is: Is [itex]f(x)\rightarrow 0[/itex] the same as [itex]f(x) = L[/itex]?

For example,

[itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex]

[itex]\displaystyle\lim_{x\rightarrow 5}f(x) = 25[/itex]

I can say that [itex]f(x) = x^2[/itex] approaches 25 as [itex]x[/itex] approaches 5.

Therefore, can I say that the f(x) is not equal to 25 unless x is not approaching 5, but x, itself, is 5?

Thanks for reading!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Philethan said:
My question is: Is "f(x) approaches L" the same as "f(x) equals L"?

No. You may have a function which has a discontinuity at x=a. Consider the function f(0) = 1 and f(x) = 0 if x is different from 0. It has 0 as both left and right limits and yet the function value at x=0 is one.
Philethan said:
so, can I say that the f(x) is not equal to 25 unless x is not approaching 5, and x, itself, is 5?
This is a different question and formulated with so many negations that I am not completely sure what question you actually intend to ask. Can you reformulate it?

Likes Philethan
Here you're asking about the notion of continuity of functions. A continuous function, by definition, has the property that its limit at a point is equal to its value at that point. But there are functions that are not continuous and so don't have this property. See the section Non-examples in the given link.

Likes Philethan
Orodruin said:
No. You may have a function which has a discontinuity at x=a. Consider the function f(0) = 1 and f(x) = 0 if x is different from 0. It has 0 as both left and right limits and yet the function value at x=0 is one.

This is a different question and formulated with so many negations that I am not completely sure what question you actually intend to ask. Can you reformulate it?
Sorry about that. It's a little difficult for me to express this abstract question in English.

The proposition is : [itex]x + 2 \neq 7[/itex] unless [itex] x = 5[/itex]
Is that proposition correct? I guess someone's answer is no because when x approaches 5, [itex]x + 2[/itex] would also be 7.

Philethan said:
Sorry about that. It's a little difficult for me to express this abstract question in English.

Is that proposition correct? I guess someone's answer is no because when x approaches 5, [itex]x + 2[/itex] would also be 7.
When x approaches 5, x + 2 approaches 7, but won't necessarily be equal to 7. When we talk about x approaching 5, what we're saying is that x is in some neighborhood around 5 (i.e., |x - 5| is "small"), so x + 2 will be in some neighborhood around 7 (i.e., |x + 2 - 7| is also "small"). x + 2 won't be equal to 7 if x ≠ 5.

Likes Philethan
Philethan said:

No, for the function x+2, the statement is true. Even if it approaches 7 as x approaches 5, it is not 7 except for when x=5.

However, this is not always the case. Take the function f(x)=0 for all x. The limit when x goes to 0 is 0 and also f(0)=0. There are also examples where you will find that f takes the same values in very different points. That f(x) = a for only one x is a property called injective (also formulated as f(x) = f(y) implies x = y) and a linear function with non-zero slope has this property.

Likes Philethan
A better example would be the function f given by ##f(x) = \frac{x^2 + 3x + 2}{x + 1}##. We can talk about this limit:
##\lim_{x \to -1} f(x)##, which turns out to be 1, even though f is not defined at x = -1.

Mark44, thank you very much! You help me a lot. Now here's my next relevant question.
Actually, my question has something to do the following physics question:

In the uniform circular motion, is the instantaneous centripetal acceleration perpendicular to instantaneous velocity?

[itex]\vec{a}_{c}=\displaystyle \lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex]

If we differentiate the velocity and solve the inner product [itex]\vec{a}\cdot \vec{v}[/itex], then we'll get zero.
However, if we imagine the [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex] then we would think [itex]\vec{v}[/itex] will never be perpendicular to [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex].
Someone would say we have to reconcile these two facts.

And I think the reason why they think those two argument are contradictory is that
they mistaken the direction of [itex]\vec{a}_{c}=\displaystyle \lim_{\Delta t\rightarrow 0}\frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex] as the direction of [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex].

Just like what you told me, the direction of [itex]\vec{a}_{c}[/itex] is what [itex]\frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex] approaches as [itex]\Delta t[/itex] approaches [itex]0[/itex].
Therefore, the direction of [itex]\vec{a}_{c}[/itex] is not the same as the direction of [itex]\frac{\Delta \vec{v}}{\Delta t}[/itex].
Is that correct?

Thanks so much:)

Well, the direction is the limit of the direction of ##\Delta \vec v## as ##\Delta t \to 0##. This is just by definition of the derivative.

Likes Philethan
Yes, Orodruin. So, there's no contradiction, right?
That means, the direction of [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex] is not the direction of [itex]a_{c}[/itex].

And the we should say the direction of [itex]a_{c}[/itex] is what [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex] approaches as [itex]\Delta t[/itex] approaches zero, rather than the direction of [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex].

Last edited:
Philethan said:
Yes, Orodruin. So, there's no contradiction, right?
That means, the direction of [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex] is not the direction of [itex]a_{c}[/itex].

As long as ##\Delta t## remains finite, the direction of ##\Delta \vec v## is not orthogonal to ##\vec v##. Acceleration is a derivative of the velocity and thus defined in the limit.

Likes Philethan
Sorry, Orodruin. I want to know more about "thus defined in the limit". Does that mean what I said?

The direction of [itex]a_{c}[/itex] is defined as the direction of what [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex] approaches as [itex]\Delta t[/itex] approaches [itex]0[/itex], rather than the direction of [itex]\Delta \vec{v}[/itex].

Yes. Or rather if you just talk about direction, the direction of ##\vec a## is the what the direction of ##\Delta \vec v## approaches as ##\Delta t \to 0##.

Likes Philethan
Wow~ Thank you so much:)!

FAQ: Is the limit of functions necessarily equal to "itself"?

1. What is the limit of a function?

The limit of a function is the value that a function approaches as the input approaches a specific value, often referred to as the "x-value". This value is not necessarily the same as the actual value of the function at that specific x-value, but rather the value that the function gets closer and closer to as the x-value gets closer and closer to the specified value.

2. How is the limit of a function defined?

The limit of a function is defined using the concept of epsilon-delta, which states that for any given small number (epsilon), there exists a corresponding small value (delta) such that when the distance between the input (x) and the specified value approaches zero, the distance between the output (f(x)) and the limit approaches zero as well.

3. Is the limit of a function always equal to itself?

No, the limit of a function is not always equal to itself. In some cases, the limit may not exist or may be undefined. This can happen when the function approaches different values from the left and right sides of the specified value, or when the function has a vertical asymptote at the specified value.

4. What is the difference between a one-sided limit and a two-sided limit?

A one-sided limit only considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specified value from one side (either the left or the right). A two-sided limit, on the other hand, considers the behavior of the function as the input approaches the specified value from both the left and the right sides. In order for a two-sided limit to exist, the one-sided limits must be equal.

5. How do you determine the limit of a function algebraically?

To determine the limit of a function algebraically, you can use various techniques such as direct substitution, factoring, rationalization, and trigonometric identities. In some cases, you may also need to use l'Hopital's rule or the squeeze theorem to evaluate the limit. It is important to note that these methods may not always work and in some cases, the limit may need to be evaluated graphically or numerically.