Is the S-matrix Consistent with Time Dependent Hamiltonian?

• Thread starter Petar Mali
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Matrix
In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between the time dependent Hamiltonian and the S-matrix. It is mentioned that the wave function in the Schrodinger picture can be expressed as a function of the S-matrix and the initial wave function. The topic of time dependent density matrix is also brought up, with an expression for it being provided. Finally, the conversation concludes with a statement about the expectation value of an operator and its relation to the S-matrix.
Petar Mali
When I have time dependent Hamiltonian

[tex]\hat{H}(t)=\hat{H}_0+\hat{V}(t)[/tex]

Is then this relation correct?

[tex]\psi_S(t)=e^{\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}_0t}\hat{S}(t)\psi_S(0)[/tex]

where [tex]\hat{S}(t)[/tex] is S-matrix.

[tex]\psi_S(t)[/tex] - wave function in Schrodinger picture

Physics news on Phys.org
If I want time dependent density matrix is it

[tex]\hat{\rho}_t=e^{\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}_0t}\hat{S}(t)\hat{\rho}_H\hat{S}^{-1}(t)e^{-\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}_0t}[/tex]

Is this expression OK?

So I have

[tex]\left\langle \hat{A} \right\rangle_t=Tr(\hat{A}_S\hat{\rho}_t)=\left\langle \hat{S}^{-1}(t)\hat{A}_H(t)\hat{S}(t) \right\rangle_{\hat{\rho}_H}[/tex]

Does it make sense?

, describes the state of a system at time t

\hat{H}(t) - time dependent Hamiltonian, describes the energy of the system at time t

\psi_S(0) - initial wave function at t=0

\hat{S}(t) - S-matrix, describes the scattering of particles in a system

The relation \psi_S(t)=e^{\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}_0t}\hat{S}(t)\psi_S(0) is correct in the context of the S-matrix formalism. This formalism is used to describe the scattering of particles in a system, and the time dependent Hamiltonian allows for the inclusion of time varying potentials or interactions. The S-matrix itself is independent of time, and is related to the time independent Hamiltonian \hat{H}_0 through the scattering operator \hat{S}(t). The wave function in the Schrodinger picture, \psi_S(t), is related to the wave function in the Heisenberg picture, \psi_H(t), through the unitary transformation \psi_H(t)=e^{\frac{i}{\hbar}\hat{H}t}\psi_S(t). Therefore, the relation \psi_S(t)=e^{\frac{1}{i\hbar}\hat{H}_0t}\hat{S}(t)\psi_S(0) is consistent with the time dependent Hamiltonian and the S-matrix formalism.

Related to Is the S-matrix Consistent with Time Dependent Hamiltonian?

1. What is the S-matrix?

The S-matrix, also known as the scattering matrix, is a mathematical tool used in quantum mechanics to describe the scattering of particles. It relates the incoming and outgoing states of a physical system undergoing scattering.

2. How is the S-matrix calculated?

The S-matrix is calculated using the time-independent Schrödinger equation, which is a fundamental equation in quantum mechanics. It involves solving for the wave function of the system and then using it to calculate the scattering amplitudes, which are then used to construct the S-matrix.

3. What does the S-matrix tell us about a physical system?

The S-matrix contains information about the possible outcomes of a scattering event, such as the probability of a particle being scattered in a particular direction. It can also provide insight into the properties of the particles involved, such as their energy and spin.

4. How does the S-matrix relate to quantum field theory?

In quantum field theory, the S-matrix is used to describe the interactions between particles. It is a crucial tool for calculating scattering amplitudes and predicting the outcomes of experiments involving subatomic particles.

5. What are the applications of the S-matrix?

The S-matrix has a wide range of applications in theoretical physics, including high-energy particle physics, condensed matter physics, and nuclear physics. It is also used in practical applications, such as in the design of particle accelerators and nuclear reactors.