Is the universe deterministic?

• Thread starter mihaiv
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Universe
In summary, the causal relations that we see around us are complete and going back to the birth of universe. There is no real randomness, only causal relations and randomness in order to have free will.
alt said:
I don't mean to intrude too much on this thread, the intellection of which I'm quite in awe of, but can you tell, who are these 'true' scientists who are interested in reality as it actually exists ?

You can't really divide the world into people who are interested in true reality and those that aren't. It's more like anyone can have the experience of wanting to cut through obfuscation to really know something beyond what other people want them to know about it or what is convenient for themselves to know. Who hasn't had the experience of wanting to know the real truth, even when they suspect it would disrupt their reality or otherwise hurt them. What kid doesn't eventually want to know the truth about Santa Claus, even if they know it's going to ruin the magic of Christmas if it turns out he doesn't really exist?

Space news on Phys.org
brainstorm said:
You can't really divide the world into people who are interested in true reality and those that aren't. It's more like anyone can have the experience of wanting to cut through obfuscation to really know something beyond what other people want them to know about it or what is convenient for themselves to know. Who hasn't had the experience of wanting to know the real truth, even when they suspect it would disrupt their reality or otherwise hurt them. What kid doesn't eventually want to know the truth about Santa Claus, even if they know it's going to ruin the magic of Christmas if it turns out he doesn't really exist?

We are chock full of monkey curiosity; it's built into us and largely embraced.

nismaratwork said:
We are chock full of monkey curiosity; it's built into us and largely embraced.
Maybe at some level of abstract romanticism, but few people have the discipline to actually embrace and appreciate will to truth and will to power in everyday life. Most of the time, people are engaged in avoiding freedom and truth for the sake of generating harmonious interaction. Cyborg is the ultimately attractive social-image that has evolved, imo. People want all the aesthetics of healthy living flesh with the behavioral control and conformity of a robot. This is how, imo, free-will degenerates into little more than a means of following protocols and conforming to cultural prescriptions - and of course eschewing those who fail to follow suit. I'm not sure why creativity and individualism are under attack, but I have the idea that it has something to do with repression and the corresponding sadism of taking out your frustration on others instead of liberating yourself, which you are of course always free to do if you would dare.

brainstorm said:
Maybe at some level of abstract romanticism, but few people have the discipline to actually embrace and appreciate will to truth and will to power in everyday life. Most of the time, people are engaged in avoiding freedom and truth for the sake of generating harmonious interaction. Cyborg is the ultimately attractive social-image that has evolved, imo. People want all the aesthetics of healthy living flesh with the behavioral control and conformity of a robot. This is how, imo, free-will degenerates into little more than a means of following protocols and conforming to cultural prescriptions - and of course eschewing those who fail to follow suit. I'm not sure why creativity and individualism are under attack, but I have the idea that it has something to do with repression and the corresponding sadism of taking out your frustration on others instead of liberating yourself, which you are of course always free to do if you would dare.

Interesting, and do I detect a hint of Nietzsche there? For myself, I remain as before, full of monkey curiosity. I agree with Dirac, that one can replace a faith in god or religion with a faith that we need to improve. I don't see homogenizing society and punishing those who fail to conform as improvement. I don't necessarily agree with the cyborg angle, because beyond control there is enhancement; I might point to drug use as a better example. People want control, it's natural, but at some point as you say, it crushes who you are or could be.

nismaratwork said:
Interesting, and do I detect a hint of Nietzsche there? For myself, I remain as before, full of monkey curiosity. I agree with Dirac, that one can replace a faith in god or religion with a faith that we need to improve. I don't see homogenizing society and punishing those who fail to conform as improvement. I don't necessarily agree with the cyborg angle, because beyond control there is enhancement; I might point to drug use as a better example. People want control, it's natural, but at some point as you say, it crushes who you are or could be.

"Detect a hint of Nietzche?" Yes, "will to power" is a Nietzchean idea but you either recognize what it is empirically or not. It's so annoying when people act like these concepts are completely relative to the philosopher or "school of thought" they are attributed to. I also don't get why you call curiosity "monkey curiosity." It seems as if you're trying to associate curiosity with irrational animalistic behavior. It may be linked to that, but will to truth goes beyond what monkeys feel when searching through your pockets for shiny objects. Will to power motivates people to conform without fear of punishment or even a desire to homogeneity most of the time, imo. Oftentimes, people conform by distinguishing themselves from so-called Others, and by doing so only sub-consciously end up conforming to other others who represent differentiation from the others they wish to differentiate themselves from. In race & ethnic studies, for example, negative stereotypes circulated regarding ethnic others are utilized to stimulate conformity to whiteness as transcendence of behavior seen as "ethnic" and therefore lower. The result is diversity within white culture, although there is conformity to the attitude that transcending behavioral characteristics identified as low/ethnic is good. So there is a will to whiteness in the sense it is seen as a form of power to secure certain privileges (although avoidance of poverty could be seen as punishment avoidance too). That's slightly different from active conformity and pursuit of homogeneity, isn't it?

brainstorm said:
"Detect a hint of Nietzche?" Yes, "will to power" is a Nietzchean idea but you either recognize what it is empirically or not. It's so annoying when people act like these concepts are completely relative to the philosopher or "school of thought" they are attributed to. I also don't get why you call curiosity "monkey curiosity." It seems as if you're trying to associate curiosity with irrational animalistic behavior. It may be linked to that, but will to truth goes beyond what monkeys feel when searching through your pockets for shiny objects. Will to power motivates people to conform without fear of punishment or even a desire to homogeneity most of the time, imo. Oftentimes, people conform by distinguishing themselves from so-called Others, and by doing so only sub-consciously end up conforming to other others who represent differentiation from the others they wish to differentiate themselves from. In race & ethnic studies, for example, negative stereotypes circulated regarding ethnic others are utilized to stimulate conformity to whiteness as transcendence of behavior seen as "ethnic" and therefore lower. The result is diversity within white culture, although there is conformity to the attitude that transcending behavioral characteristics identified as low/ethnic is good. So there is a will to whiteness in the sense it is seen as a form of power to secure certain privileges (although avoidance of poverty could be seen as punishment avoidance too). That's slightly different from active conformity and pursuit of homogeneity, isn't it?

No... I attribute human curiosity to our evolutionary heritage, and "der will zur macht" may not be specific to the philosopher, but it's still fairly recognizable. Perhaps you learned that specific turn of phrase elsewhere, but tell me, was I wrong?

nismaratwork said:
No... I attribute human curiosity to our evolutionary heritage, and "der will zur macht" may not be specific to the philosopher, but it's still fairly recognizable. Perhaps you learned that specific turn of phrase elsewhere, but tell me, was I wrong?

Probably Nietzche through Foucault, yes, but don't you think the genealogical citations distract from the substantive discussion of content? Positioning and posturing really gets on my nerves in academic discourse. What's worse is how often it is taken as a substitute for any substantive argumentation AT ALL. It's just flag-waving.

brainstorm said:
The line between blaming and recognizing responsibility for actions is a fine one much of the time.
I'd argue its a mile-wide and full of grey.
Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists
Science isn't interested in what exists, its interested in what can be consistently observed.
And everyday reality is quite different from the highly structured reality of math/science. When people say they want simple, they mean straight-forward and useful. Pursuing the details, for their own sake, is just autism.

JoeDawg said:
I'd argue its a mile-wide and full of grey.
that's vague.

Science isn't interested in what exists, its interested in what can be consistently observed.
And everyday reality is quite different from the highly structured reality of math/science. When people say they want simple, they mean straight-forward and useful. Pursuing the details, for their own sake, is just autism.
Sounds like someone who's afraid of the unabashed pursuit of truth. Pursuing truth is just anti-obfuscation. It has nothing to do with autism.

brainstorm said:
that's vague.
Yes. It is.
Sounds like someone who's afraid of the unabashed pursuit of truth. Pursuing truth is just anti-obfuscation. It has nothing to do with autism.

Counting the number of ants in an anthill is pursuing truth, about an anthill, but its a waste of time(for most people) unless you are someone who gets off on counting things.

Philosophy isn't just about navel gazing, its about how we choose to live.

brainstorm said:

Yes, lol, and the Easter Bunny ..

But earlier you said;

Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists - and everyone else just uses knowledge to play social games and vie for power (not that scientists never do this - that's why I say "true" scientists).

That sounds a lot more than a generalisation. Who ARE these true / truest scientists ?

brainstorm said:
Probably Nietzche through Foucault, yes, but don't you think the genealogical citations distract from the substantive discussion of content? Positioning and posturing really gets on my nerves in academic discourse. What's worse is how often it is taken as a substitute for any substantive argumentation AT ALL. It's just flag-waving.

I think you are taking a playful observation and reading into it, what was not there. I don't posture, I prefer direct and brutal honesty. Was I in any way indirect in our earlier argument a few pages ago? Where someone comes by their ideas and knowledge can be insightful, that's all, just as my comment about monkey curiosity comes from Larry Niven (the sci-fi author) and was also playful. When I'm being direct, you'll know it, I don't attack from the flanks.

JoeDawg said:
Counting the number of ants in an anthill is pursuing truth, about an anthill, but its a waste of time(for most people) unless you are someone who gets off on counting things.

Philosophy isn't just about navel gazing, its about how we choose to live.
Fine, that's a good example of an irrelevant truth. But I hope you realize that people rarely target irrelevant truths for obfuscation. They pick the ones that they know or suspect may have some influence in their lives. Philosophy may be about choosing how to live, but when someone's ethic is to obfuscate or otherwise lie or mislead to achieve a certain way of living, it's a problem ethically. And let's face it, there are many unsustainable and unreasonable lifestyle choices that people pursue in the name of freedom and by the power of privilege that are susceptible to scrutiny, hence the term "inconvenient truth." When awareness of inconvenient truths is immanent, claiming that certain questions or truths are irrelevant is one tactic for obfuscating and averting the conclusion that something has to change, despite it being inconvenient to do so. No offense, and I am certainly open to the possibility that I am wrong, but this is the way it came across to me so I said what I saw.
alt said:
Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists - and everyone else just uses knowledge to play social games and vie for power (not that scientists never do this - that's why I say "true" scientists).

That sounds a lot more than a generalisation. Who ARE these true / truest scientists ?

The Santa Claus example was meant to show that anyone could have a true interest in truth despite the inconvenience or social consequences of true knowledge. A truly honest person can reflect on why they want to discover or believe certain things. I knew, for example, when global warming was being debated that I wanted there to be limits on fossil fuel consumption because I think excessive fossil-fuel burning creates a way of life that I dislike. However, because I knew I had an interest in the outcome, I could decide that I was more interested in whether global warming is valid science or not instead of just rallying for the outcome that suited my political interest. Now, how many people who don't want to curb their fuel consumption or pay higher gas tax do you think are open to the possibility that global warming IS a true reality? Probably not many. Political interests affect people's will to know, even many scientists.

nismaratwork said:
I think you are taking a playful observation and reading into it, what was not there. I don't posture, I prefer direct and brutal honesty. Was I in any way indirect in our earlier argument a few pages ago? Where someone comes by their ideas and knowledge can be insightful, that's all, just as my comment about monkey curiosity comes from Larry Niven (the sci-fi author) and was also playful. When I'm being direct, you'll know it, I don't attack from the flanks.
Glad to hear you don't attack from the flanks. When I was accusing you of posturing, it was because you were primarily focussing on source-citations. While it can be relevant in certain discussions what source something comes from, e.g. when there is disagreement over interpretation or meaning of earlier usages of a concept, it does not automatically lend credibility to an argument. Information, whether grounded in citation or not, has to make a reasonable argument.

Too many scholars publish writing in which source-citation and posturing are subtly substituted for reason and argumentation. The point of their articles is basically to say, "I have great expertise in this subject and I have read many other things other people have written on similar topics, therefore when I make a claim it is substantiated by my position in my field." In your earlier posts, I didn't see any explicit argumentation or reasoning so I assumed you were just plotting multiple points of citation and trying to imply that your claims were defensible without defending them. That's what I call posturing.

brainstorm said:
Fine, that's a good example of an irrelevant truth. But I hope you realize that people rarely target irrelevant truths for obfuscation. They pick the ones that they know or suspect may have some influence in their lives. Philosophy may be about choosing how to live, but when someone's ethic is to obfuscate or otherwise lie or mislead to achieve a certain way of living, it's a problem ethically. And let's face it, there are many unsustainable and unreasonable lifestyle choices that people pursue in the name of freedom and by the power of privilege that are susceptible to scrutiny, hence the term "inconvenient truth." When awareness of inconvenient truths is immanent, claiming that certain questions or truths are irrelevant is one tactic for obfuscating and averting the conclusion that something has to change, despite it being inconvenient to do so. No offense, and I am certainly open to the possibility that I am wrong, but this is the way it came across to me so I said what I saw.

The Santa Claus example was meant to show that anyone could have a true interest in truth despite the inconvenience or social consequences of true knowledge. A truly honest person can reflect on why they want to discover or believe certain things. I knew, for example, when global warming was being debated that I wanted there to be limits on fossil fuel consumption because I think excessive fossil-fuel burning creates a way of life that I dislike. However, because I knew I had an interest in the outcome, I could decide that I was more interested in whether global warming is valid science or not instead of just rallying for the outcome that suited my political interest. Now, how many people who don't want to curb their fuel consumption or pay higher gas tax do you think are open to the possibility that global warming IS a true reality? Probably not many. Political interests affect people's will to know, even many scientists.

Glad to hear you don't attack from the flanks. When I was accusing you of posturing, it was because you were primarily focussing on source-citations. While it can be relevant in certain discussions what source something comes from, e.g. when there is disagreement over interpretation or meaning of earlier usages of a concept, it does not automatically lend credibility to an argument. Information, whether grounded in citation or not, has to make a reasonable argument.

Too many scholars publish writing in which source-citation and posturing are subtly substituted for reason and argumentation. The point of their articles is basically to say, "I have great expertise in this subject and I have read many other things other people have written on similar topics, therefore when I make a claim it is substantiated by my position in my field." In your earlier posts, I didn't see any explicit argumentation or reasoning so I assumed you were just plotting multiple points of citation and trying to imply that your claims were defensible without defending them. That's what I call posturing.

Ahhhh, no no, we've moved past the source issues, I abandoned that a while ago. I can see why you'd still be defensive on the point however, but I'm not completely monolithic.

nismaratwork said:
Ahhhh, no no, we've moved past the source issues, I abandoned that a while ago. I can see why you'd still be defensive on the point however, but I'm not completely monolithic.

I really didn't bring it up to be defensive or aggressive. It was just the example of posturing that came to mind because that was the context in which it came up last for me. I have no problem or grudge against you. I'm not even sure you share my view of source-citing as posturing, but I would be willing to discuss it further if there was something to be learned by the exchange. Honestly, I've heard people talk a lot about posturing in the past but I never gave much thought to what it was, so there's probably a lot I haven't even thought about yet. Probably a topic for another thread though.

brainstorm said:
I'm not even sure you share my view of source-citing as posturing, but I would be willing to discuss it further if there was something to be learned by the exchange.

The deep issue here is how to achieve scholarly discussion on the internet. In the early days of the net, it seemed very easy. For a start, no-one under the age of 20 probably had a computer and modem :wink:, and the majority on the net were academics or professionals in some form. So they imported their scholarly standards from everyday life.

It really was one of those Woodstock things for about five years.

Then the unscholarly herd arrived and things changed. One response was blogging. Another was wiki. You either set yourself up as an expert voice (which is rather restricting as you have to narrowcast rather than broady discuss) or became part of the wisdom of the crowd (a powerful, but homogenising, device).

Anyway, the internet has become a generic platform and so suffers the pull of the lowest common denominator. To combat that tendency, it seems quite right that anonymous voices on the internet demonstrate their connections back to a framework of wider scholarship. This is a safeguard to counter posturing - though I can see how it could be used as an aid to posturing too.

The test becomes whether the voices demonstrate an understanding of their references. Goggling makes it easy to find references. But the bluff of bluffers can still be called with further questions.

brainstorm said:
Fine, that's a good example of an irrelevant truth. But I hope you realize that people rarely target irrelevant truths for obfuscation.
Are you kidding?

Apart from the fact 'relevant' is highly subjective, there is a whole industry devoted to obfuscation of what most people consider irrelevant truths... its called advertising.

So, how does one determine 'relevant' truth? Because I guarrantee, how a car works is irrelevant to most people... until it stops working, at which point the only relevant fact is how much it will cost to fix it.

JoeDawg said:

He said scientists, not science. Scientists are definitely interested in reality. What can consistently be observed is an important part of determining aspects of reality. Also, provide for me an example of a credible alternative. Every argument you make will have been rooted in observations. Inconsistent observations won't make your argument any stronger. It seems consistent observations are our strongest evidence.

And everyday reality is quite different from the highly structured reality of math/science.

Definitely for people who don't regularly practice math/science. I'd be careful about speaking for everyone, though. A statement about reality is a statement about perspective, and I can only assume this is your perspective. A perspective I was familiar with prior to being familiar with math/science, but that I've lost touch with now.

When people say they want simple, they mean straight-forward and useful. Pursuing the details, for their own sake, is just autism.

Ad hominem.

And too extreme of a counter-argument. Sometimes miscommunication arises from simplification. Just because a degree of complexity is required to understand a concept doesn't mean that the details are being pursued for their own sake.

apeiron said:
The deep issue here is how to achieve scholarly discussion on the internet. In the early days of the net, it seemed very easy. For a start, no-one under the age of 20 probably had a computer and modem :wink:, and the majority on the net were academics or professionals in some form. So they imported their scholarly standards from everyday life.

It really was one of those Woodstock things for about five years.

Then the unscholarly herd arrived and things changed. One response was blogging. Another was wiki. You either set yourself up as an expert voice (which is rather restricting as you have to narrowcast rather than broady discuss) or became part of the wisdom of the crowd (a powerful, but homogenising, device).

Anyway, the internet has become a generic platform and so suffers the pull of the lowest common denominator. To combat that tendency, it seems quite right that anonymous voices on the internet demonstrate their connections back to a framework of wider scholarship. This is a safeguard to counter posturing - though I can see how it could be used as an aid to posturing too.

The test becomes whether the voices demonstrate an understanding of their references. Goggling makes it easy to find references. But the bluff of bluffers can still be called with further questions.

It shouldn't be necessary to establish any identity status in order to engage in discussion. The very fact that you distinguish between two broad categories of internet-users suggests that you are likely to accept some claims as valid just because you perceive them as scholarly, while you will reject other uncritically, just because the tone doesn't "sound" scholarly to you or sources aren't cited, etc. Imo, it should not be that difficult to interact with information in a critically open way such that it is neither necessary to reject it completely or accept it blindly or on the basis of citations or credentials of the writer. You should be able to read content for content, with only whatever context you as a reader are able to apply to engage it with sufficient critical reason.

Pythagorean said:
Sometimes miscommunication arises from simplification. Just because a degree of complexity is required to understand a concept doesn't mean that the details are being pursued for their own sake.

And othertimes, complexity is the culprit.

The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
Albert Einstein

If you're unable to bring your concepts back to the realm of everyday thinking, you're merely doing bussiness with yourself(ves).

Spelling edit - realm.

Last edited:
I think if universe were deterministic (and I'm not saying it is or that it is not) it would have no impact on your free will what so ever.
In such a universe, you'd simply arrive at a particular time at a particular place with a particular thought in your head. Now that place might as well be this forum and the thought might as well be the doubt over the existence of your free will. Now you might want to prove you have free will indeed by acting differently than you normally would if this thought didn't cross your mind. But this wanting would simply be the result of the current state of your brain interacting with the new input.
Of course, you might say that that state of your brain might have been different had you shaped it differently by different actions in the past. But such actions would only have been the product of your previous wants, and those were not in your control either, by the same reasoning.
Ergo at the beginning of that chain you'd have deterministic influence again.

So by all accounts, in a deterministic universe, you could say you have a free will, but in fact that will would be determined and what you would have is only free reign over acting on that will.
Nevertheless the illusion that you have free will would be so perfect that you might simply want to act like you do have one.

Simply because acting on your free will makes you feel like you have control. And us people so like to have control. And if it would be an illusion or not, it wouldn't matter.

That's what I think.

alt said:
And othertimes, complexity is the culprit.

The whole of science is nothing more than a refinement of everyday thinking.
Albert Einstein

If you're unable to bring your concepts back to the realm of everyday thinking, you're merely doing bussiness with yourself(ves).

Spelling edit - realm.

Why do people so often assume that "everyday thinking" is a homogenous culture? One person's everyday thinking is another person's obfuscation.

brainstorm said:

OK - I know instances where the global warming aurgument has made enemies of the best of friends. I really don't want to go there, and your point is lost on me anyway.

First you gave me Santa Claus and then you gave me global warming. MAy I refer you to your earlier statement that has piqued my interest;

Only the truest scientists are interested in reality as it actually exists ..

I was wondering if you meant that literally, ie, can you point to one or two that are only the truest scientists, and that are exclusively (as your sentence suggests) interested in reality as it actually exists ?

Or were you generalising ? And if you were, is that at the exclusion of lesser scientists ? Your sentence seems to exclude lesser scientists from any ability or intention to be interested in reality as it actually exists.

Heck ! Where does it leave non scientists ?

With the greatest of respect, I should say I've read your posts here with much interest and admiration, eager to see some development of your ideas about these greatest of truths, and actual realities.

Spelling edit

Last edited:
ThorX89 said:
I think if universe were deterministic (and I'm not saying it is or that it is not) it would have no impact on your free will what so ever.
In such a universe, you'd simply arrive at a particular time at a particular place with a particular thought in your head. Now that place might as well be this forum and the thought might as well be the doubt over the existence of your free will. Now you might want to prove you have free will indeed by acting differently than you normally would if this thought didn't cross your mind. But this wanting would simply be the result of the current state of your brain interacting with the new input.
Of course, you might say that that state of your brain might have been different had you shaped it differently by different actions in the past. But such actions would only have been the product of your previous wants, and those were not in your control either, by the same reasoning.
Ergo at the beginning of that chain you'd have deterministic influence again.

So by all accounts, in a deterministic universe, you could say you have a free will, but in fact that will would be determined and what you would have is only free reign over acting on that will.
Nevertheless the illusion that you have free will would be so perfect that you might simply want to act like you do have one.

Simply because acting on your free will makes you feel like you have control. And us people so like to have control. And if it would be an illusion or not, it wouldn't matter.

That's what I think.

If free-will was just an illusion that was needed to be sufficiently determined by the universe, then what effect could it possibly have to deny or question it? What would be the purpose of even considering whether it had any real power or not? Are your reflections on free-will simply yet another determined part of your determined life? How do you decide whether to embrace or resist consciousness and active self-determination?

brainstorm said:
If free-will was just an illusion that was needed to be sufficiently determined by the universe, then what effect could it possibly have to deny or question it?

None. If you are questioning it, you were "going to" question it no matter what.

brainstorm said:
What would be the purpose of even considering whether it had any real power or not?

The human conception of purpose would be a mind model.

brainstorm said:
Are your reflections on free-will simply yet another determined part of your determined life?

They would be if that person was in a determined universe.

brainstorm said:
How do you decide whether to embrace or resist consciousness and active self-determination?

You can't resist determinism. Although you can know that for practical purposes only you have free will.

ThoX89 said:
So by all accounts, in a deterministic universe, you could say you have a free will, but in fact that will would be determined...

Correct. FAPP, free will exists. But really, everything you do/think "has" to be that way.

Last edited:
brainstorm said:
Why do people so often assume that "everyday thinking" is a homogenous culture? One person's everyday thinking is another person's obfuscation.

Sure. If there's an intent to obfuscate, one can do so at any level. But I think the Einstein quote I referenced earlier, was just what he said in another;

Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone.

I am simply saying that you (anyone), if you think you know something, should be able make it known to anyone who is interested in knowing it.

alt said:
Sure. If there's an intent to obfuscate, one can do so at any level. But I think the Einstein quote I referenced earlier, was just what he said in another;

Most of the fundamental ideas of science are essentially simple, and may, as a rule, be expressed in a language comprehensible to everyone.

I am simply saying that you (anyone), if you think you know something, should be able make it known to anyone who is interested in knowing it.

Well, Dirac believed that the rules were simple, but that they were generally incomprehensible to anyone who didn't speak the language of mathematics required to understand the relevant equations. The belief in fundamental simplicity can go hand in hand with nearly impenetrable (at the time) symbols.

nismaratwork said:
Well, Dirac believed that the rules were simple, but that they were generally incomprehensible to anyone who didn't speak the language of mathematics required to understand the relevant equations. The belief in fundamental simplicity can go hand in hand with nearly impenetrable (at the time) symbols.

(at the time)

And at this time too, surely, for the vast majority of people on this Earth I would suggest, would find the language of mathematics incomprehensible - unless trained thereof for many years.

Does that however, leave everyone other than mathematicians out in the cold, so far as the deeper meanings, higher truths, ultimate realities are concerned ?

Surely not !

To brainstorm: My reply to that would be approximately the same as what imiyakawa wrote. :-)

imiyakawa said:
You can't resist determinism. Although you can know that for practical purposes only you have free will.
The only reason I think your perspective here is problematic is that ideologies of social determinism actually have the effect of discouraging people from exercising their free will more than necessary to comply with forces and structures they believe to be deterministic. When structural-determination is deconstructed and replaced with a radically constructive view of social life, people can not only no longer orient toward imagined structures in their actions, they become the responsible agents, i.e. co-authors, of the structures they believe to be determining their actions.

If this was not a powerful re-imaging tool, why would so many people react to it with so much irritation and frustration? Tell almost anyone that they are the authors of their own structural-determination as they perceive it and they will argue insistently that determining forces are real, that they are beyond their control, and that they are relatively powerless to resist them. If these people truly believed their determination was beyond their control, why would they feel so strongly compelled to argue against perspectives that say otherwise?

Correct. FAPP, free will exists. But really, everything you do/think "has" to be that way.
Maybe. And if so, I HAVE to convince as many people as possible to embrace their free-will and reject ideologies of structural-determinism. Since it is something I can't choose not to do, why would anyone argue against me for doing it? Because they have no choice but to do so? But what if they do? And what if I do too?

alt said:

I agree completely and I always explain intellectual ideas in comprehensible language. The problem is that the reason many people are arguing against complex language isn't because they can't deal with the complexity. If that was the case, no one would ever accuse me of being overly complex, because there's no encrypted expert language in the way I write. Instead, they criticize anything that doesn't confirm their established worldview. In other words, it's not that they resist complexity - it's that they resist cognitive dissonance and ideological conflicts. The same people will embrace a highly complex and jargon-encrypted version of any idea that resonates with what they want to believe.

Someone criticizing global warming science for political reasons will claim that the language is too complex and that science should be simpler, as you say, and then they will support an equally complex and jargon-filled theory about why global climate is not affected by CO2 emissions. Complaining about intellectual complexity is nothing more than a tactic for attacking views they don't like for whatever reason.

brainstorm said:
Maybe. And if so, I HAVE to convince as many people as possible to embrace their free-will and reject ideologies of structural-determinism. Since it is something I can't choose not to do, why would anyone argue against me for doing it? Because they have no choice but to do so? But what if they do? And what if I do too?

You have misunderstood the concept of pseudo-free will in a deterministic universe.
It's about that that you DO have a choice. You DON'T HAVE to convince as many people as possible about anything. You CAN decide what to do on your OWN. But whatever you do, in a deterministic universe, you WERE GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY.

Since you still can do whatever you want, you might as well be in an nondeterministic universe.
You wouldn't be able to tell the difference.
You can still make a difference in the world. But if you do, you were going to do it anyway.

brainstorm said:
The only reason I think your perspective here is problematic is that ideologies of social determinism actually have the effect of discouraging people from exercising their free will more than necessary to comply with forces and structures they believe to be deterministic.

The perspective is problematic if not fully understood.
If people understood that as far as their everyday life goes, they don't lose their free will in a deterministic universe, they wouldn't be discouraged.
Unfortunately, the concept is not easy to grasp, so it's often the best just to say that for all intents and purposes free will does exist, no matter if the universe is deterministic or not.
It's all just the simple fact that (in a det. universe) "whatever you do, you were going to do it anyway".
And since you can't do anything about this, it's best just not to care and live your life the best way you can. :-)

P.S. It still quite important for you to care about this if you're a physicist.

ThorX89 said:
It's about that that you DO have a choice. You DON'T HAVE to convince as many people as possible about anything. You CAN decide what to do on your OWN. But whatever you do, in a deterministic universe, you WERE GOING TO DO IT ANYWAY.

Since you still can do whatever you want, you might as well be in an nondeterministic universe.
You can still make a difference in the world. But if you do, you were going to do it anyway.

This is correct to an orgasmic extent. This is the distinction that everyone should be making when discussing free will, and one that hasn't been acknowledged yet as far as I can tell. A) For practical purposes & B) From the perspective of physics. Free will from a practical, emergence perspective, exists. It almost certainly cannot exist (the ability to actually choose) from a physicist's perspective unless you posit a "soul", or some biasing mechanism.

In a deterministic universe, you will act and think a certain way at time x and there's nothing that can change that (assuming causal closure, of course). In an inherently probabilistic universe, your future probability distribution of possibilities are determined (a physicist told me this statement was correct, so that isn't crackpottery) - there's no "I" that chooses at the fundamental level. Sorry.

This isn't about deluded atomists trying to deny you your ability to choose. The same consequence applies to random/determined AND determined universes.

But, I emphasize, for practical purposes you can choose. But really, you can't. <<-- This statement can be argued against only if you tweak the definition of the agent that chooses away from what I intended.

ThorX89 said:
But according you you, whatever I choose, that was to have been my choice. Now the question is what happens to my psyche if I start believing everything that I'm doing will have been determined in whatever choices I make. Does that affect the free exercise of free-will? I think it would. Therefore it is probably best to deny the possibility that free-will is determined, even if it is the truth. If it is the truth, btw, then there is no ethical problem with denying it because truth has no value in a deterministic social world - all information would just be instrumental to moving the plot along, no? Besides, no unplanned truth-discoveries or denials would be possible, therefore denying a discovered truth would be inevitable. Does any of this start to smell like bottomless BS to you after a while?

But how could one make a difference in the world without operating with faith in free-will. Anyone believing their actions to be determined would only be making a difference insofar as they are an instrument of someone else's will (but whose?). So a person has to believe in free will to perceive themselves as making a difference in anything. Otherwise, how could anything that happens be attributed to anyone?

And since you can't do anything about this, it's best just not to care and live your life the best way you can. :-)
So why do you mention it? Because you were determined to do so?

P.S. It still quite important for you to care about this if you're a physicist.
Why physicists and not others?

Sorry, I felt compelled to respond.
brainstorm said:
Does any of this start to smell like bottomless BS to you after a while?

No. However, "inescapable consequence" comes to mind.

brainstorm said:
But how could one make a difference in the world without operating with faith in free-will.

Me and ThorX have agreed that in this determined universe (and even in a random universe, in my opinion), true agent causation can't exist, but for practical purposes free will exists. None of this automatically precludes moral decision making and the validity of the coherent illusion of free will. (Or the actuality of free will, depending on perspective).

brainstorm said:
Anyone believing their actions to be determined would only be making a difference insofar as they are an instrument of someone else's will (but whose?).

?

brainstorm said:
So a person has to believe in free will to perceive themselves as making a difference in anything. Otherwise, how could anything that happens be attributed to anyone?

Free will (for practical purposes) VS. actual agent-causation free will/an introduced bias into the evolution of law in the brain (some kind of self causation stripped of total constraint).

Both are perspectives.

brainstorm said:
So why do you mention it? Because you were determined to do so?

That depends on how you define "why".

brain said:
Why physicists and not others?

Not necessarily physicists, but others seem to have a chronically hard time of understanding this ... They know they have agent causation (in the physicist's sense - just ask a guy on the street) - they experience it. If you surveyed the population I wouldn't be surprised at a response of 99.95% in the affirmative of consciousness being self causal in some way. (By the way, self causation is not synonymous with the concept of self perpetuity/self organization).

Also, because it's not a practically useful chain of thought for ordinary people.

Last edited:
ThorX89 said:
You have misunderstood the concept of pseudo-free will in a deterministic universe.

Did I miss the bit where you demonstrated that reality is determined to the extent where brain processes and a wider world of social interactions can all be completely determined in a strict micro-causal fashion? That there is zero error in the propagation of causes and effects all the way upwards in scale? That this determinism survives despite QM intedeterminancy, initial condition issues of chaos modelling, the thermal jostle of noisy brains, etc?

I don't feel convinced that determinism could operate flawlessly all the way from the micro to the macro scale. It seems to conflict with other scientific models. So tell us how you are vaulting this gap?