Unraveling the Mystery of the Expanding Universe

In summary, it is believed that the Earth's distance from the sun is increasing due to the expansion of the universe, but this increase is not enough to cause the Earth to move away from the sun.
newtron
I know it's been proven beyond all doubt that the universe is expanding but one thing is bugging me. Why isn't the Earth (and the other planets for that matter) moving away from the sun due to this expansion? Maybe this is a daft question but I can't think of an answer. Can somebody please explain?

Space news on Phys.org
newtron said:
I know it's been proven beyond all doubt that the universe is expanding but one thing is bugging me. Why isn't the Earth (and the other planets for that matter) moving away from the sun due to this expansion?

They don't because that's what General Relativity says (more or less). :smile:

OK, that was a joke. Seriously, it has been discovered not so many years ago
that the Astronomical Unit (AU) is increasing, so at least the Earth's distance from
the Sun is increasing secularly at this epoch. See

G.A. Krasinsky and V.A. Brumberg, Celestial Mechanics & Dynamical Astronomy 90, 287 (2004).

It must be stressed that the result reported here (an increase of the AU of about 15 m per century)
is indirect, inasmuch as this increase is inferred from an analysis of radiometric measurements of distances between the Earth and the major planets. So while it seems that the reported increase
of the AU is far too small to have anything to do with the Hubble expansion, it is possible that this
discrepancy can be blamed on incorrect theory-dependent assumptions made when analyzing the data.

What expands?

newtron said:
Why isn't the Earth (and the other planets for that matter) moving away from the sun due to this expansion? Maybe this is a daft question but I can't think of an answer. Can somebody please explain?

It's a good question, and somebody has. See [thread=153958]this PF thread[/thread] and references therein.

The keyword is "pennies on an expanding balloon", but at a higher level of approximation, clearly we should model gravitationally bound solar systems and galaxies in a more sophisticated way than as rigid pennies. For advanced students, some relevant arxiv eprints are
http://www.arxiv.org/abs/gr-qc/0102103, http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0609271, http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0605611, and (often cited!) http://www.arxiv.org/abs/astro-ph/0310808

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for pointing me in the direction of some answers. Very interesting stuff.

Related to Unraveling the Mystery of the Expanding Universe

1. What evidence do we have that the Universe is expanding?

One of the main pieces of evidence for the expansion of the Universe comes from observing the redshift of galaxies. This means that the light from distant galaxies appears to be shifted towards the red end of the spectrum, indicating that they are moving away from us at high speeds. Additionally, the cosmic microwave background radiation, which is leftover radiation from the Big Bang, also shows patterns that suggest the expansion of the Universe.

2. How fast is the Universe expanding?

The expansion of the Universe is measured by a value known as the Hubble constant, named after astronomer Edwin Hubble. Currently, the most widely accepted value for the Hubble constant is around 70 km/s/Mpc (kilometers per second per megaparsec). This means that for every megaparsec (about 3.26 million light years) of distance, the Universe is expanding by 70 kilometers per second.

3. Will the Universe continue to expand forever?

Based on current observations and theories, it is believed that the expansion of the Universe will continue indefinitely. This is because the dominant force driving the expansion is dark energy, a mysterious force that is causing the expansion to accelerate. However, new discoveries and further research could potentially change our understanding of the fate of the Universe.

4. Can anything travel faster than the expansion of the Universe?

According to Einstein's theory of relativity, nothing can travel faster than the speed of light. This also applies to the expansion of the Universe, as the speed of light is the maximum speed at which information can travel. Therefore, the expansion of the Universe cannot be outrun by anything, including spacecrafts or particles.

5. How does the expansion of the Universe affect our daily lives?

On a day-to-day basis, the expansion of the Universe has very little impact on our lives. This is because the Universe is expanding on such a large scale that the effects are not perceivable on a human level. However, understanding the expansion of the Universe and its processes can help us better understand the origins and future of our Universe, as well as our place in it.