Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a definition of "hyperdimensional resonance"?

1. Jul 17, 2015 #1
    I was talking to a friend recently and he said something to me that i just didn't understand. He is a physicist and i most certainly am not. I was telling him about similarities that i had observed between two things and was not sure if it was a coincidence or if there was a tangible link between these two things. His response to me, i didn't quite understand. Bottom line is, I'm not sure if he was just fooling with me or if his statement had meaning. His response was one sentence:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    We'd call that an excellent example of "hyperdimensional resonance" .... :)

Thanks.

RCH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2015 #2

fzero

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The terms have meaning separately, but together, there is no mainstream physics phenomenon that would be described in those words. Some google searching reveals that there was a guy in the 1980s that sold a device called a "Hyperdimensional Resonator" that he purported to be a time-travel device. It's possible that your friend was joking around.

4. Jul 17, 2015 #3
    Yes, that seems to be the safe conclusion. I found very similar results with my web search. Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

5. Jul 21, 2015 #4
    I don't know of any phenomena by that name, so if he is a physicist maybe you misheard him or he mis-spoke?

It's definitely possible for a system of more than 3 variables (ie more than 3-dimensions) to have resonant behavior, or he may have been referring to some kind of resonant behavior of a differential equation on a manifold, and in trying to describe something of these sorts he may have chosen his words poorly (we all do that sometimes).

Or maybe he was just being tongue-in-cheek about an idea that sounded like woo and made up some nonsense words to criticize it as such, like if I sarcastically said that something was "clearly an example of irreducible complexity" or that one struggling with a computer problem ought to "download more RAM".

Though, out of curiosity, I did a Google search of "hyperdimensional resonance" and found a few people offering "hyperdimensional resonators" for sale or instructions for how to build them, and they all look like woo and free energy sites.

6. Jul 21, 2015 #5

berkeman

Staff: Mentor

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

7. Jul 21, 2015 #6

Mark44

@danrussotti, your physicist friend was pulling your leg...

8. Jul 21, 2015 #7

berkeman

Thread will remain closed.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook