Is there a definition of "hyperdimensional resonance"?

In summary, the conversation revolved around a statement made by a friend who is a physicist. The statement mentioned "hyperdimensional resonance," which does not seem to be a recognized concept in mainstream physics. A web search revealed that the term is associated with pseudoscientific ideas such as time travel and free energy. It is likely that the friend was joking or using the term sarcastically. The conversation concluded with the understanding that the term is not a legitimate concept in physics.
danrussotti
I was talking to a friend recently and he said something to me that i just didn't understand. He is a physicist and i most certainly am not. I was telling him about similarities that i had observed between two things and was not sure if it was a coincidence or if there was a tangible link between these two things. His response to me, i didn't quite understand. Bottom line is, I'm not sure if he was just fooling with me or if his statement had meaning. His response was one sentence:

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We'd call that an excellent example of "hyperdimensional resonance" ... :)

Thanks.

RCH

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
The terms have meaning separately, but together, there is no mainstream physics phenomenon that would be described in those words. Some google searching reveals that there was a guy in the 1980s that sold a device called a "Hyperdimensional Resonator" that he purported to be a time-travel device. It's possible that your friend was joking around.

fzero said:
The terms have meaning separately, but together, there is no mainstream physics phenomenon that would be described in those words. Some google searching reveals that there was a guy in the 1980s that sold a device called a "Hyperdimensional Resonator" that he purported to be a time-travel device. It's possible that your friend was joking around.

Yes, that seems to be the safe conclusion. I found very similar results with my web search. Thanks for your reply, its much appreciated.

I don't know of any phenomena by that name, so if he is a physicist maybe you misheard him or he mis-spoke?

It's definitely possible for a system of more than 3 variables (ie more than 3-dimensions) to have resonant behavior, or he may have been referring to some kind of resonant behavior of a differential equation on a manifold, and in trying to describe something of these sorts he may have chosen his words poorly (we all do that sometimes).

Or maybe he was just being tongue-in-cheek about an idea that sounded like woo and made up some nonsense words to criticize it as such, like if I sarcastically said that something was "clearly an example of irreducible complexity" or that one struggling with a computer problem ought to "download more RAM".

Though, out of curiosity, I did a Google search of "hyperdimensional resonance" and found a few people offering "hyperdimensional resonators" for sale or instructions for how to build them, and they all look like woo and free energy sites.

Thread closed temporarily for Moderation...

danrussotti said:
We'd call that an excellent example of "hyperdimensional resonance" ... :)
@danrussotti, your physicist friend was pulling your leg...

Thread will remain closed.

1. What does "hyperdimensional resonance" mean?

"Hyperdimensional resonance" refers to the concept that there may be higher dimensions beyond the three spatial dimensions and one time dimension that we are familiar with. This resonance suggests that these dimensions may interact with each other and affect our perception of reality.

2. Is there a scientific definition for hyperdimensional resonance?

Currently, there is no widely accepted scientific definition for hyperdimensional resonance. It is a theoretical concept that is still being explored and studied by scientists.

3. How is hyperdimensional resonance related to string theory?

Hyperdimensional resonance is closely linked to string theory, which proposes that the fundamental building blocks of the universe are tiny strings vibrating in multiple dimensions. These vibrations are thought to create the illusion of particles and the forces between them.

4. Can hyperdimensional resonance be observed or measured?

As of now, there is no direct evidence or experimental data that supports the existence of hyperdimensional resonance. However, some phenomena, such as quantum entanglement, have been attributed to potential hyperdimensional interactions.

5. What are the potential implications of hyperdimensional resonance?

If hyperdimensional resonance is proven to exist, it could have significant implications for our understanding of the universe and possibly even open up new avenues for technology and exploration. It could also help reconcile some of the discrepancies between different theories of physics.