Is there a limit to the size of a black hole?

In summary, the conversation discusses the maximum size that a black hole can reach and whether there are any theoretical limits to its growth. Some theories suggest that there may be an upper mass limit, while others argue that the black hole's size becomes irrelevant once a singularity is formed. The conversation also touches upon the relationship between a galaxy's size and the mass of its black hole.
alex1819
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question and I apologize if it's a rudimentary question but, is there a maximum size that a black hole can get to? Given an infinite amount of mass, would it ever reach a point where it could grow no larger, at least from a mathematical stand point. I realize something like this is damn near impossible to observe but I was wondering if the equations pointed to any wacky happenings once a certain size is reached.

Thanks

Astronomy news on Phys.org
From the "standard" theories regarding black holes, they can always get bigger. There isn't infinite mass in the universe, and if there was - it would be a huge conservation of energy violation, so its hard to even look at it theoretically.

I know little to nothing about the details regarding non-standard theories, but i seem to recall hearing that in string theory (because the center has a finite size) there is an upper mass limit... but i can't even imagine what they'd claim would happen if you surpassed that limit. Not sure about that.

alex1819 said:
Hello all,

I was wondering if anyone could answer this question and I apologize if it's a rudimentary question but, is there a maximum size that a black hole can get to? Given an infinite amount of mass, would it ever reach a point where it could grow no larger, at least from a mathematical stand point. I realize something like this is damn near impossible to observe but I was wondering if the equations pointed to any wacky happenings once a certain size is reached.

Thanks

They recently have found a correlation between the mass of a galaxy and the mass of the black hole within it. Accordingly you would find the largest possible black holes inside the largest galaxies. If a black hole is rapidly spinning however there may be a lower limit to their size. If say two of the largest sized galaxies were to merge it would not be unlikely that eventually their black holes would also merge. Would the resulting huge black hole be unstable? different theories would have different answers.

A black hole already tips the scale for maximum density permitted by modern physics. Size become irrelevant once a singularity [black hole] forms. Gargantuan black holes have already been detected in other galaxies. Some are believed to be many billions of solar masses in size.

Related to Is there a limit to the size of a black hole?

What is a black hole?

A black hole is a region in space where the gravitational pull is so strong that nothing, including light, can escape from it. This is caused by a massive amount of matter being squeezed into a very small space.

How are black holes formed?

Black holes are formed when a massive star dies and collapses in on itself. This can also occur when two smaller black holes merge together.

Can we see black holes?

No, we cannot directly see black holes because they do not emit any light. However, we can detect their presence through their effects on surrounding matter and light.

What happens if you fall into a black hole?

If you were to fall into a black hole, the intense gravitational pull would cause you to stretch and compress until you reach the "singularity" at the center. At this point, the laws of physics as we know them break down and it is uncertain what would happen.

Do black holes last forever?

While black holes are not eternal, they have a very long lifespan. They slowly lose mass through a process called Hawking radiation, but it would take trillions of years for a black hole to completely dissipate.