Is there a quick analytic way to solve this polynomial?

• Thread starter DeanRichards
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Polynomial
In summary, the conversation discusses a polynomial equation with a sum of terms and explores the possibility of an analytic solution for a specific value of y and n. The conversation concludes that there is no simple analytic solution for polynomials with a degree of 5 or greater. However, it is suggested to use the sum formula (1-xn)/(1-x) to solve the equation.
DeanRichards
ny = x^(n-1) + x^(n-2) + ... + x + 1

for a certain y and n (>10000) with y!=1 and ny > 1.

Is there an analytic way to solve this? Thank you.

Physics news on Phys.org
yes, you can interpret it as a sum. that way you can work with it easily.
from that point on you can prove any type of given question whatsoever

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 10.26.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2013-05-23 at 10.26.10 AM.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 399
thank you for your reply, my question was though how to find x for let's say y = 4 and n = 10000 in the shortest possible amount of time. i know that's not feasible for polynomials of this size in general, but i don't know if there are any special kinds and solution strategies, since this one looks quite simple.
i should have added that i am only interested in real solutions which only exist for n*y >= 1.

I think poster #2 is confused. The OP was looking to solve the polynomial, not take derivatives or integrals.

AFAIK, there is no simple analytic way to solve polynomials with degree 5 and greater.

DeanRichards said:
ny = x^(n-1) + x^(n-2) + ... + x + 1

for a certain y and n (>10000) with y!=1 and ny > 1.

Is there an analytic way to solve this? Thank you.

The sum on the right = (1-xn)/(1-x).

Can you go from there?

mathman said:
The sum on the right = (1-xn)/(1-x).

Can you go from there?

incredible. thanks a lot!

Related to Is there a quick analytic way to solve this polynomial?

What is a polynomial?

A polynomial is a mathematical expression that consists of variables and coefficients, combined using addition, subtraction, and multiplication. Examples include 3x^2 + 4x + 2 and 2x^3 - 5x + 1.

What is an analytic solution to a polynomial?

An analytic solution to a polynomial is a method of solving the polynomial that involves using algebraic operations, such as factoring or the quadratic formula, to find the exact solutions. This is in contrast to numerical methods, which use approximations to find solutions.

Is there a quick way to solve all polynomials?

No, there is not a single quick method that can be used to solve all polynomials. The best approach will depend on the specific polynomial and its degree, as well as the available resources and tools.

What are some common analytic methods for solving polynomials?

Some common analytic methods for solving polynomials include factoring, the quadratic formula, and the rational root theorem. These methods can be used to solve polynomials of different degrees and can often provide exact solutions.

When would it be useful to use a quick analytic method to solve a polynomial?

A quick analytic method may be useful when time is limited or when exact solutions are needed. These methods can also be useful in situations where numerical methods may not be accurate enough, such as in engineering or scientific calculations.