1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a solution to this transcendental equation ?

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    This is not a homework problem, this equation simply occurred to my mind and my math teacher said such an equation either can't exist or he doesn't know the answer.
    sinX ➕ cosX = lnX

I don't know how to start....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2
    This looks ugly. To simplify it a bit, notice that the LHS is equal to ##\frac12 \sin (2x)##. In particular, this lies in ##\left[-\frac12,\frac12\right]##, so that any ##x## solving your equation would have to belong to ##\left[\frac1{\sqrt{e}},\sqrt{e}\right]##.

Using some knowlege of the functions ##\sin## and ##\ln## (i.e. knowing where each of them is positive/negative and where each of them is positively/negatively sloped, and using that ##2\in (0,\pi)##), you can use intermediate value theorem to show that the equation has a unique solution ##x^*>0##, and that it satifies ##x^*\in (1, \sqrt{e})##.

As for an explicit solution, good luck.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could have started by drawing a graph of each function. Note that:

##sin(x) + cos(x) = \sqrt{2}sin(x + \frac{\pi}{4})##

Which simplifies things.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##sin(x) + cos(x) \ne \frac12 \sin (2x)##

##sin(x)cos(x) = \frac12 \sin (2x)##

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
    Was it "+" rather than "*" ?

On my computer, it's showing up as "sin(x) [black square with a white X in it] cos(x)". If it was addition, my bad. Sorry for adding confusion.

7. Sep 29, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think it is some special character, something like a large "+" sign. So it is clearly an addition.
    This does not change the result - there is a unique solution, but probably no closed form for it.

8. Sep 30, 2014 #7
    with intermediate value method X is something like 1.8893....

9. Sep 30, 2014 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Indeed. Which is the sole numerical solution to sin(x)+cos(x) = ln(x).

It has no closed form, though. Numerical solution is the best you're going to get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook