Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Is there a solution to this transcendental equation ?

1. Sep 29, 2014 #1
    This is not a homework problem, this equation simply occurred to my mind and my math teacher said such an equation either can't exist or he doesn't know the answer.
    sinX ➕ cosX = lnX

I don't know how to start....

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 29, 2014 #2
    This looks ugly. To simplify it a bit, notice that the LHS is equal to ##\frac12 \sin (2x)##. In particular, this lies in ##\left[-\frac12,\frac12\right]##, so that any ##x## solving your equation would have to belong to ##\left[\frac1{\sqrt{e}},\sqrt{e}\right]##.

Using some knowlege of the functions ##\sin## and ##\ln## (i.e. knowing where each of them is positive/negative and where each of them is positively/negatively sloped, and using that ##2\in (0,\pi)##), you can use intermediate value theorem to show that the equation has a unique solution ##x^*>0##, and that it satifies ##x^*\in (1, \sqrt{e})##.

As for an explicit solution, good luck.

4. Sep 29, 2014 #3

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

You could have started by drawing a graph of each function. Note that:

##sin(x) + cos(x) = \sqrt{2}sin(x + \frac{\pi}{4})##

Which simplifies things.

5. Sep 29, 2014 #4

PeroK

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

##sin(x) + cos(x) \ne \frac12 \sin (2x)##

##sin(x)cos(x) = \frac12 \sin (2x)##

6. Sep 29, 2014 #5
    Was it "+" rather than "*" ?

On my computer, it's showing up as "sin(x) [black square with a white X in it] cos(x)". If it was addition, my bad. Sorry for adding confusion.

7. Sep 29, 2014 #6

mfb

2016 Award

Staff: Mentor

I think it is some special character, something like a large "+" sign. So it is clearly an addition.
    This does not change the result - there is a unique solution, but probably no closed form for it.

8. Sep 30, 2014 #7
    with intermediate value method X is something like 1.8893....

9. Sep 30, 2014 #8

Char. Limit

Gold Member

Indeed. Which is the sole numerical solution to sin(x)+cos(x) = ln(x).

It has no closed form, though. Numerical solution is the best you're going to get.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook