Is there an easier way to find this limit rigorously?

• Thread starter FaroukYasser
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Limit
In summary: I see it now. I was looking at the wrong place. I mean I was trying to use the sandwich theorem to limit the inequality of the expression and then use the squeeze theorem to get the limit. But your method is much simpler. Thanks again!In summary, the expression ##\frac{\sqrt{n+c}+d}{\sqrt[3]{n^2+an+b}}## approaches 0 as n approaches infinity, for n>-c. This can be shown by writing the numerator as ##\sqrt{n}((1+\frac{c}{n})^{1/2}+\frac{d}{\sqrt{n}})## and the denominator as ##n^{2/3}(1+\frac{a}{n
FaroukYasser

Homework Statement

Show that ##\lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \right) } =0,\quad n>-c ##

Homework Equations

Sandwich theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, So I know my method is extremely long, I'm just wandering if 1) It is correct and 2)If there is any better way than this.

##If\quad n>\frac { -b }{ a } And\quad n>{ d }^{ 2 }-c\\ \Longrightarrow \quad 0\quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \le \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt { { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } <\frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt { { n }^{ 2 } } } =\frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ n } \\ \\ <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| \sqrt { n+c } }{ n } =\frac { (1+\left| d \right| )(\sqrt { n+c } ) }{ n } <\frac { (1+\left| d \right| )(\sqrt { n+n } ) }{ n } ,\quad for\quad n>\left| c \right| =\frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \\ \therefore \quad for\quad n>max\left\{ \frac { -b }{ a } ,\left| c \right| ,{ d }^{ 2 }-c \right\} \quad \Longrightarrow \quad 0\quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \\ \because \quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \right) } =0\quad Then\quad by\quad the\quad sandwitch\quad theorem\quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \right) } =0##

Thanks in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
Divide both numerator and denominator by the same right power of n, and you can take easy limits everywhere.

mfb said:
Divide both numerator and denominator by the same right power of n, and you can take easy limits everywhere.
Thanks. I was wandering though, is my method ok or does it have any flaw in the logic? I am just trying to exercise with the sandwich theorem so I just want to make sure the steps are moving logically. And dividing the numerator and denominator by n^(2/3) would do the trick right?

FaroukYasser said:
And dividing the numerator and denominator by n^(2/3) would do the trick right?
Yes.
FaroukYasser said:
is my method ok or does it have any flaw in the logic?
That step does not work, you increase the denominator (in general), so you reduce the fraction when going from the left to the right:
$$\frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt { { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } }$$
There is a long way, but it is complicated.

FaroukYasser said:

Homework Statement

Show that ##\lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \right) } =0,\quad n>-c ##

Homework Equations

Sandwich theorem

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, So I know my method is extremely long, I'm just wandering if 1) It is correct and 2)If there is any better way than this.

##If\quad n>\frac { -b }{ a } And\quad n>{ d }^{ 2 }-c\\ \Longrightarrow \quad 0\quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \le \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt { { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } <\frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ \sqrt { { n }^{ 2 } } } =\frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| }{ n } \\ \\ <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +\left| d \right| \sqrt { n+c } }{ n } =\frac { (1+\left| d \right| )(\sqrt { n+c } ) }{ n } <\frac { (1+\left| d \right| )(\sqrt { n+n } ) }{ n } ,\quad for\quad n>\left| c \right| =\frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \\ \therefore \quad for\quad n>max\left\{ \frac { -b }{ a } ,\left| c \right| ,{ d }^{ 2 }-c \right\} \quad \Longrightarrow \quad 0\quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \quad <\quad \frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \\ \because \quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { 2 } (1+\left| d \right| ) }{ \sqrt { n } } \right) } =0\quad Then\quad by\quad the\quad sandwitch\quad theorem\quad \lim _{ n\rightarrow \infty }{ \left( \frac { \sqrt { n+c } +d }{ \sqrt [ 3 ]{ { n }^{ 2 }+an+b } } \right) } =0##

Thanks in advance

There is an easier way: write the numerator as
[tex] \text{numerator} = \sqrt{n+c} + d = \sqrt{n} \left( \left(1 + \frac{c}{n} \right)^{1/2} + \frac{d}{\sqrt{n}} \right) [/tex]
and the denominator as
[tex] \text{denominator} = \sqrt[3]{n^2 + an + b} = n^{2/3} \left( 1 + \frac{a}{n} + \frac{b}{n^2} \right)^{1/3} [/tex]
If you really insist on using the sandwich theorem you could start by finding simple upper and lower bounds on ##(1 + x)^{1/2}## and ##(1+x)^{1/3}## for small ##|x|##. However, avoiding the sandwich theorem altogether seems much simpler.

Likes FaroukYasser
Ray Vickson said:
There is an easier way: write the numerator as
[tex] \text{numerator} = \sqrt{n+c} + d = \sqrt{n} \left( \left(1 + \frac{c}{n} \right)^{1/2} + \frac{d}{\sqrt{n}} \right) [/tex]
and the denominator as
[tex] \text{denominator} = \sqrt[3]{n^2 + an + b} = n^{2/3} \left( 1 + \frac{a}{n} + \frac{b}{n^2} \right)^{1/3} [/tex]
If you really insist on using the sandwich theorem you could start by finding simple upper and lower bounds on ##(1 + x)^{1/2}## and ##(1+x)^{1/3}## for small ##|x|##. However, avoiding the sandwich theorem altogether seems much simpler.
Thanks a lot!

Related to Is there an easier way to find this limit rigorously?

1. What is a limit in mathematics?

A limit is a fundamental concept in mathematics that represents the value that a function approaches as its input approaches a specific value. It is used to describe the behavior of a function near a certain point.

2. What is meant by finding a limit "rigorously"?

Finding a limit rigorously means using a precise and logical approach to determine the exact value of a limit. This often involves using the definition of a limit and applying mathematical techniques such as algebraic manipulation and theorems to prove the limit exists and determine its value.

3. Is there a shortcut or easier way to find a limit rigorously?

While there are techniques that can make finding limits easier, such as using L'Hopital's rule or identifying patterns in the function, there is no shortcut or guaranteed easy way to find a limit rigorously. It requires a thorough understanding of the concept and careful application of mathematical principles.

4. What are some common mistakes when finding limits rigorously?

Some common mistakes when finding limits include not following the definition of a limit closely, assuming a limit exists without properly proving it, and making algebraic errors or incorrect calculations. It is important to carefully check every step and make sure all assumptions are justified.

5. Why is it important to find limits rigorously?

Finding limits rigorously is essential in many areas of mathematics, such as calculus and analysis, as it allows us to understand the behavior of functions and make accurate predictions. It also helps to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills, which are valuable in both mathematics and other fields.