Exploring the Possibility of a Device Producing 10^25 Electrons Per Second

• Thread starter ppyadof
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Device
In summary: No, our systems do not allow for this to happen. For our applications, we need a consistent and stable voltage/current.
ppyadof
I have another question. Is there a device which currently exists which can produce in the region of 10^25 electrons per second? I have to admit, I am a bit doubtful as to the existence of such a device simply because of the sheer number of electrons which it must produce.

Physics news on Phys.org
That's a million amps. If half of a 1000 megawatt power plant's energy ends up as 220v power, that's 4.3 million amps at the usage points.

The question is a little odd, though...the electrons aren't "produced" at the generator, they are just pushed around in a circle.

Well, russ, I produce at our accelerator as high as 110 nC per pulse, and we can pulse as high as 10 Hz., so that's 1100 nC per second. Quick, how many electrons is that? :)

Zz.

Fair enough - not a lot of particle accelerators in the air conditioning systems I design...

...though I don't know what an nC is...

nC = nanoCoulomb

C=6.24150962915265 ×10^18 elementary charges.

Integral said:
nC = nanoCoulomb
Ok, so, is that a typo...? Did he mean mC? What am I missing here? The op asked about a million amps and that's a millionth of an amp...

Last edited:
nano = 10^-9
Coulomb = 10^18

nC = 10^(18-9)=10^9

Thats a big number. Its small in terms of amps, but large in terms of number of electrons.

Its all relative.

Last edited:
russ_watters said:
Ok, so, is that a typo...? Did he mean mC? What am I missing here? The op asked about a million amps and that's a millionth of an amp...

No, it's "nC". It doesn't produce quite 10^25 charge per second, but it is still in the 10^20, which is, from what I've been told, the "world record" for charge per bunch, at least in an L-band accelerator.

Zz.

Ok, so I guess then the point is just that that is the most electrons you can have existing on their own (free of a wire)? A AA battery pushes around more than that, though, so I guess which is relevant depends on what the OP means by "produce"...

russ_watters said:
That's a million amps. If half of a 1000 megawatt power plant's energy ends up as 220v power, that's 4.3 million amps at the usage points.

The question is a little odd, though...the electrons aren't "produced" at the generator, they are just pushed around in a circle.

Thanks for the idea about the megawatt power generators. I used it in this post where I need million ampere current to create high power magnetic fields:

Ultra high magnetic fields using carbon nanotubes.
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=193266

Bob Clark

ZapperZ said:
Well, russ, I produce at our accelerator as high as 110 nC per pulse, and we can pulse as high as 10 Hz., so that's 1100 nC per second. Quick, how many electrons is that? :)

Zz.

Zz, I've heard of table top accelerators able to get extremely high voltages or currents by accelerating electrons.
For my application I need the high voltages/currents to be maintained.
Do your systems allow this to take place.

Bob Clark

1. Is there a device that can cure all diseases?

As of now, there is no single device that can cure all diseases. Medical treatments and technologies are constantly evolving and improving, but there is no one device that can cure every known disease.

2. Can a device make me smarter?

While there are devices such as brain stimulation devices that claim to improve cognitive function, there is no scientific evidence that proves a device can make someone inherently smarter. Improving intelligence involves a combination of factors, including genetics, education, and experiences.

3. Is there a device that can reverse aging?

There is currently no device that can reverse the process of aging. While some technologies and treatments may improve the appearance of aging, they cannot reverse the aging process itself.

4. Can a device give me superhuman abilities?

No, there is currently no device that can give someone superhuman abilities. While there are prosthetic devices that can enhance physical abilities, there is no device that can give someone supernatural powers.

5. Is there a device that can instantly transport me to another location?

Unfortunately, there is no device that can instantly teleport someone from one location to another. While there are transportation technologies like airplanes and trains, they still require travel time to reach a destination.