B Is there such a thing as Gm/r? (1 Viewer)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Since Fg = Gmm/r2and Coulomb's law being similar to that: Fe = kQq/r2,
and we also have E = kQ/r2 and g = Gm/r2 being alike,
I was wondering if there's anything that corresponds to the potential equation kQ/r. I converted it myself and figured that it's going to be Gm/r, and I'm not sure if a formula for that exists.

andrewkirk

Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Insights Author
Gold Member
If m stands for the mass of the body whose gravitational field we are considering then there is, except that it is standard to use M rather than m. The quantity is -GM/r and is called Gravitational Potential. It is always negative, asymptotically approaches zero as we go towards an infinitely remote distance and it decreases ever deeper into negative territory as we approach the centre of the mass M.

If m stands for the mass of the body whose gravitational field we are considering then there is, except that it is standard to use M rather than m. The quantity is -GM/r and is called Gravitational Potential. It is always negative, asymptotically approaches zero as we go towards an infinitely remote distance and it decreases ever deeper into negative territory as we approach the centre of the mass M.
Thank you so much! This is helpful and yes I apparently didn't use the right m:frown:

The Physics Forums Way

We Value Quality
• Topics based on mainstream science
• Proper English grammar and spelling
We Value Civility
• Positive and compassionate attitudes
• Patience while debating
We Value Productivity
• Disciplined to remain on-topic
• Recognition of own weaknesses
• Solo and co-op problem solving