Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is there such a thing as Gm/r?

  1. Aug 4, 2018 #1
    Since Fg = Gmm/r2and Coulomb's law being similar to that: Fe = kQq/r2,
    and we also have E = kQ/r2 and g = Gm/r2 being alike,
    I was wondering if there's anything that corresponds to the potential equation kQ/r. I converted it myself and figured that it's going to be Gm/r, and I'm not sure if a formula for that exists.
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 4, 2018 #2


    User Avatar
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

    If m stands for the mass of the body whose gravitational field we are considering then there is, except that it is standard to use M rather than m. The quantity is -GM/r and is called Gravitational Potential. It is always negative, asymptotically approaches zero as we go towards an infinitely remote distance and it decreases ever deeper into negative territory as we approach the centre of the mass M.
  4. Aug 4, 2018 #3
    Thank you so much! This is helpful and yes I apparently didn't use the right m:frown:
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted