Is this a 4-linear form ?

• Thread starter Sangoku
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Form
In summary, the conversation discusses whether the expression x^{2}-y^{2}+3xy-x^{4}+5y^{4}+ z^{4}-2t^{4}+3xyzt-6x^{2}tz+ 5x^{2}y^{2} or expressions similar to it could be considered a 4-linear form or a 4th degree polynomial in 4 variables. The confusion lies in the mixed up combination of a 2-form and a 4-form.
Sangoku
Is this a 4-linear form ??

rather a silly question, but i am a bit confused , could we consider the expression

[tex] x^{2}-y^{2}+3xy-x^{4}+5y^{4}+ z^{4}-2t^{4}+3xyzt-6x^{2}tz+ 5x^{2}y^{2} [/tex]

or even in general [tex] A_{i,j}x^{i}x^{j}-Q_{i,j,k,l}x^{i}x^{j}x^{k}x^^{l} [/tex]

could be considered a 4-linear form??.. i believe this is linear on every argument x^{i} but there seems to be 'mixed up' a 2-from plus a 4-form so i,m not sure what exactly is the proposed object.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The usual label for such expressions is 4th degree polynomial in 4 variables.

No, neither of these expressions can be considered a 4-linear form. A 4-linear form is a function that takes in four vectors and outputs a scalar value, and it must be linear in each of its arguments. In the first expression, there are terms that are not linear in their arguments (such as x^4 and y^4), and in the second expression, there is a mix of 2-form and 4-form terms, which does not fit the definition of a 4-linear form.

1. What is a 4-linear form?

A 4-linear form is a type of mathematical function that maps four input variables to one output variable. It is often used in the study of vector spaces and linear algebra.

2. How is a 4-linear form different from a linear form?

A linear form only maps one input variable to one output variable, while a 4-linear form maps four input variables to one output variable. This means that a 4-linear form takes into account the interactions between four variables, while a linear form does not.

3. How is a 4-linear form used in scientific research?

4-linear forms are used in a variety of fields, including physics, chemistry, and biology. They can be used to model complex systems and relationships between multiple variables. They are also used in optimization problems and in the analysis of data sets.

4. Can a 4-linear form be represented graphically?

Yes, a 4-linear form can be represented graphically using a 4-dimensional graph. This type of graph has four axes, each representing one of the input variables, and the output variable is represented by the height or color of the graph at a specific point.

5. Are there any real-world examples of 4-linear forms?

One example of a 4-linear form in the real world is the Ideal Gas Law, which relates the pressure, volume, temperature, and amount of gas in a closed system. Another example is the Schwarzschild metric, which describes the curvature of space-time in Einstein's theory of general relativity.