Is this a meaningless problem formulation?

• Thread starter charlesc56
  • Start date
In summary, the car is driving along a curved path with a given radius and an angle relative to the surface of the earth. The speed is at a magnitude where the friction force between the car and road has a downward component, but not at its maximum value. The question is asking for the largest tangential acceleration the car can have, and the central relation in this situation is the centripetal force. The radial friction force is influenced by the tangential acceleration, which is directly connected to the centripetal force. However, the relationship between tangential acceleration and speed is not specified, making it unclear how the tangential acceleration is related to the centripetal force.
charlesc56
A car is driving along a curved path (with a given radius) that is angled relative to the surface of the earth. The speed is of such magnitude that the friction force between car and road has a component directed downward the incline, however the friction does not have its maximum value. (So obviously the speed can increase a certain amount before the car starts sliding in the radial direction.)

Now the question is as follows:

What's the largest tangential acceleration the car can have?

I suppose the central relation in this situation is the centripetal force: F(radial) = m * v2/R

I don't see how the radial friction force is influenced directly by the tangential acceleration. The radial friction force naturally depends on the speed, since it is a factor in the centripetal force (m * v2/R). But how is the tangential acceleration related to this speed, when there is no mention whatsoever about the distance traveled or the duration of the motion. It suggests the tangential acceleration should be directly connected to the centripetal force, but I don't see the link. Could it be a very bad problem formulation, or what do you guys think? Thank you in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
The force of friction supplies both the centripetal force and the force needed to tangential acceleration. The acceleration vector has radial (ar) and tangential (at) components and its magnitude is a=sqrt(at^2+ar^2). m*a can not exceed the force of friction.

ehild

1. Is this problem formulation relevant to current research?

The relevance of a problem formulation often depends on the field of study and the specific research goals. It is important to thoroughly review existing literature and consult with peers and experts in the field to determine the relevance of a problem formulation.

2. How can I determine if this problem formulation is significant?

A significant problem formulation is one that addresses a gap in knowledge or understanding, has the potential to advance the field, and can lead to valuable insights or solutions. It is important to carefully consider the potential impact and implications of the problem formulation in order to determine its significance.

3. What makes a problem formulation meaningful?

A meaningful problem formulation is one that is well-defined, addresses a relevant and significant issue, and has the potential to provide valuable insights or solutions. It should also be feasible and practical to study within the constraints of the available resources and time.

4. How can I ensure that my problem formulation is clear and concise?

To ensure clarity and conciseness in a problem formulation, it is important to clearly define the research question or hypothesis, provide a brief overview of the relevant literature, and clearly state the objectives and scope of the study. It is also helpful to have peers or experts review the problem formulation for feedback and suggestions.

5. Can a problem formulation change during the research process?

Yes, a problem formulation can evolve and change during the research process as new information and insights are gained. It is important to regularly review and refine the problem formulation to ensure it remains relevant and meaningful throughout the research process.