Comparing Energy, Mass, Speed, Wavelength, and Momentum of Photons and Electrons

• Thread starter WeeBey
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses comparing a 2.2eV photon and a 2.2eV electron in terms of energy, rest mass, speed, wavelength, and momentum. The energy for both particles is 3.52 x 10-19 J. The rest mass of a photon is always zero, while the rest mass of an electron is 9.11 x 10-31. The results for wavelength and momentum will be different for each particle due to their different masses. The only value that is the same for both particles is their energy.
WeeBey
Homework Statement

Compare a 2.2eV photon with a 2.2 eV electron in terms of energy, rest mass, speed, wavelength, and momentum

The attempt at a solution

So...

E = (2.2eV) x (1.60 x 10-19 J/eV) = 3.52 x 10-19 J

Wouldn't 3.52 x 10-19 J be the energy for both the photon and electron? If so, wouldn't that make mass, speed, wavelength, and momentum equal for both particles?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, hopefully it wouldn't make mass the same...

Tabulate all the values for each particle. What's the rest mass of a photon?

Isn't it:

m = E / c2?

Or is the rest mass of a photon always zero.

WeeBey said:
Isn't it:

m = E / c2

?

Or is the rest mass of a photon always zero.

The rest mass of a photon is always zero.

Okay, so the rest mass for the photon is 0 and for the electron it is 9.11 x 10-31.

Wavelength would be:

E = hc / λ, or rather, λ = E / hc

Momentum would be:

p = h / λ

I assume because their energies are the same, the results for wavelength and momentum will be equal for the electron and photon.Speed is:

p = mv, or rather, v = p / m
In the end: their energies, wavelengths, and momentum are equal while mass and speed are different. Is that right?

Wavelength and momentum will not be the same. Look up DeBroglie wavelength, photon momentum.

Hmm,

So I first calculate velocity with:

v = √2eΔV/m

And then use:

λ = h / mv

That gives wavelength

For momentum I use:

p = mv

Because their masses are different, I should get different results.

So only the energy is the same for both?

As I said, you should tabulate all the values for each particle. You will have to be sure to use the appropriate formulas that apply to each. Then compare results.

1. What is a trick question?

A trick question is a question that is intentionally designed to be confusing or misleading in order to test the knowledge, critical thinking skills, or ability to solve problems of the person being asked.

2. How can I identify a trick question?

Trick questions often contain double negatives, multiple possible interpretations, or unfamiliar terms. They may also be worded in a convoluted or illogical manner. It's important to carefully read and analyze the question before answering to avoid falling for a trick question.

3. Why do people use trick questions?

Trick questions are often used as a way to challenge someone's reasoning skills or to test their ability to think under pressure. They can also be used as a teaching tool to help people learn how to think critically and avoid being fooled by tricky language.

4. How can I answer a trick question correctly?

The key to answering a trick question correctly is to take your time and carefully consider all possible interpretations of the question. It can also be helpful to break the question down into smaller parts and analyze each part individually before coming to a conclusion.

5. Are there any strategies for dealing with trick questions?

One strategy for dealing with trick questions is to rephrase the question in your own words to ensure that you fully understand it. You can also try breaking the question down into smaller, simpler parts and considering each part separately. Additionally, it can be helpful to stay calm and not rush into answering a trick question, as this can lead to mistakes.