Is this quadrilateral tangential?

• Thread starter ireallymetal
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a tangential quadrilateral and whether a particular quadrilateral with angles measuring 90, 90, 60, and 120 is tangential. The participants debate and provide examples to show that the quadrilateral may or may not be tangential, and additional conditions may be needed to determine tangentiality.
ireallymetal
If you have a quadrilateral whose angles measure 90, 90, 60, 120 where the right angles are opposite each other does that mean that the quadrilateral is tangential. If it is can somebody show me how they arrived at that conclusion?

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Your question doesn't make any sense with the standard meaning of "tangential". Maybe you used the wrong word, or you forgot to tell us what the quadrilateral is tangential to.

If you explain what you think the question meant, somebody will probably be able to help.

AlephZero: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tangential_quadrilateral

The quad with angles 90°, 60°, 90°, 120° is obviously symmetric, and it is well known that symmetric quads are tangential. Is that enough of a proof?

Otherwise I'd do a proof by construction: construct the angle bisectors at the 90° corners and use their intersection M as tangential circle center. Draw a perpendicular from one of the quad sides through M to find a point on the circle perimeter. There you go...

d01phi said:

OK, I guess this has come into use since I learned my geometry!

The quad with angles 90°, 60°, 90°, 120° is obviously symmetric

Are you sure about that?

Draw a circle. Draw a diameter. On one side of the diameter, draw two lines at 45 degrees, so you have a 45-90-45 triangle with each vertex on the circle.

Use those points as 3 vertices of the quadilateral and draw angles at 60 and 120 intersecting at the 4th vertex. Since the 4th vertex angle must be 90, it also lies on the circle (because the angle in a semicircle is a right angle).

Is that a symmetrical quadrilateral? I wouldn't call it symmetrical.
(Apologies if this is another use of terminology that I'm not familar with - and also for the scrappy diagram.)

quad.gif

There must be some other condition for the OP's statement to be true. Four angles do not fix the shape of a quadrilateral. In the diagram, you can draw any lines parallel to the sides and get different shaped quadrilaterals with the same angles. They can't all be tangential quadrilaterals.

AlephZero said:
Are you sure about that?

View attachment 31733

There must be some other condition for the OP's statement to be true. Four angles do not fix the shape of a quadrilateral. In the diagram, you can draw any lines parallel to the sides and get different shaped quadrilaterals with the same angles. They can't all be tangential quadrilaterals.

Yep, got me! Thanks for the enlightenment.

Your drawing is also a counterexample for the assumption that a quadrilateral with these angles be tangential in general. Playing around with an interactive geometry program, it seems to me that the symmetric 90-60-90-120 quad that I envisioned is the only tangential one.

1. What is a tangential quadrilateral?

A tangential quadrilateral is a four-sided polygon where all four sides are tangent to a circle. This means that the circle touches the quadrilateral at exactly four points, one on each side.

2. How do I determine if a quadrilateral is tangential?

In order for a quadrilateral to be tangential, it must meet the following criteria:

• All four sides must be tangent to the same circle.
  • Opposite angles must add up to 180 degrees.
  • The sum of any two adjacent angles must be equal to 180 degrees.
If all of these conditions are met, then the quadrilateral is tangential.

3. Can a quadrilateral be tangential to more than one circle?

Yes, it is possible for a quadrilateral to be tangential to more than one circle. This can happen if the quadrilateral is inscribed within another circle, or if the quadrilateral is made up of smaller tangential quadrilaterals that are each tangent to a different circle.

4. What is the significance of a tangential quadrilateral?

A tangential quadrilateral has several important properties:

• The sum of its opposite angles is always equal to 180 degrees, making it a cyclic quadrilateral.
  • The lengths of its sides can be used to calculate the radius of the circle that it is tangent to.
  • The tangents drawn from the vertices of the quadrilateral to the circle are all congruent.
These properties can be useful in solving geometric problems and constructing various shapes.

5. Can a non-convex quadrilateral be tangential?

Yes, a non-convex quadrilateral can be tangential as long as it meets the criteria for a tangential quadrilateral. This means that the circle must touch the quadrilateral at exactly four points, and the angles must satisfy the conditions for a tangential quadrilateral. Non-convex tangential quadrilaterals are also known as "bow-tie" quadrilaterals.