Is this RFID antenna design possible?

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of designing an on-metal RFID reader antenna as part of a steel cylinder. There are concerns about the lack of insulation and the effect of the steel on the signal. Suggestions are made for potential antenna designs, including an Alford Slot and different types of dipoles. However, it is acknowledged that finding a suitable design may take time and experimentation. Additionally, the low height of the proposed antenna may cause issues with efficiency, matching, and bandwidth.
40hrCaptain
Hey everyone,

Looking for someone in the know regarding RFID reader antenna design. Part of a project I'm working on requires a custom RFID transmitter antenna. If possible, I'd like to design the antenna as an integral part of a steel cylinder. I know there are on-metal tags, but is it possible to design an on-metal reader antenna? Please see the very rough diagram I've attached - the red represents the antenna location. It would basically need to be mounted on the face of the steel cylinder with some sort of epoxy. Read range requirements are very low, less than 1cm. The antenna would likely need to be 10-12 inches long.

WhatIF.jpg

Engineering news on Phys.org
I've done some microwave antenna design, but not RFID work.

The answer is, it depends.

Antenna design is both an art and a science. There are some requirements your diagram doesn't cover.

The big thing though is the lack of insulation between the steel and the conductor. The spacing of the (non-existent) gap is critical as is the material of the insulator. You will need to provide for that. The feed is also important and typically matches the transmission line's impedance (usually 50Ω).

Still, the basic shape looks fair. (Antennas that conform to curves are always a bit weak, but it should/might be good for 1 cm.)

I'm not sure how the steel will affect the signal. I've never worked with high permeability ground planes. (Does the rod need to be steel?) It might just lower the image current amplitude which would have little effect. Or it might significantly change the electrical size. (For higher power applications core saturation would be a problem, but not for your application I think.)

It seems a simple design. Perhaps fabricate one and hook it to a VNA? Tweak it until it works. :rolleyes:

Often that's cheaper than spending hours running software (assuming you have a VNA).

I have a very tight profile constraint of a few mm from the surface of the cylinder - do you think it would be reasonable to design an insulated antenna that protrudes less than 3mm from the cylinder face?

Can you explain feed and why it typically matches impedance?

As far as shape, can I expect this design to create a magnetic field ~perpendicular to the cylinder face at all points within the antenna plane? Is there a limit to how far I can wrap the antenna around the cylinder? Say 180, 270, or even 359 degrees? (the idea being, it would allow me to read tags from all sides of the cylinder)

Thanks a ton Jeff

I think it can be done.

Expect to spend some time and money.

Matching the transmission line impedance allows the transmission line to be something like a length of coax instead of a fixed geometry, which I doubt you want.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
I think it can be done.

Expect to spend some time and money.

Matching the transmission line impedance allows the transmission line to be something like a length of coax instead of a fixed geometry, which I doubt you want.
Why don't you use a slot along the length of the cylinder, forming an Alford Slot?

From the looks of it, an Alfred slot would significantly degrade the structural integrity of the cylinder.

40hrCaptain said:
From the looks of it, an Alfred slot would significantly degrade the structural integrity of the cylinder.

You might consider etching out a few more mils for separation from the ground plane.

Also consider an array of half/quarter wavelength dipoles rather than the dipole slot you have shown. That might give you better 360º coverage.

Another option might be a helical antenna running around the rod, though that would take some original design work with the iron rod in the middle.

Another option might be to use the rod as an antenna if you are lucky on the length. You might be able to wrap some grounded conductor tape around some of it to adjust its electrical length. By clever use of grounding tape, you could make all sorts of slots, or whatever.

There are lots of designs that might work. Finding one that does will take some time though.

Good luck.

Jeff Rosenbury said:
You might consider etching out a few more mils for separation from the ground plane.

Also consider an array of half/quarter wavelength dipoles rather than the dipole slot you have shown. That might give you better 360º coverage.

Another option might be a helical antenna running around the rod, though that would take some original design work with the iron rod in the middle.

Another option might be to use the rod as an antenna if you are lucky on the length. You might be able to wrap some grounded conductor tape around some of it to adjust its electrical length. By clever use of grounding tape, you could make all sorts of slots, or whatever.

There are lots of designs that might work. Finding one that does will take some time though.

Good luck.
I think the original proposed solution will have a problem because the height is so small and the radiation resistance will be miniscule. This creates problems with efficiency, matching and bandwidth.

1. Can an RFID antenna be designed for a specific frequency?

Yes, an RFID antenna can be designed and tuned for a specific frequency. The antenna's dimensions, shape, and materials can all be adjusted to achieve resonance at a desired frequency.

2. What factors should be considered when designing an RFID antenna?

Some factors to consider when designing an RFID antenna include the operating frequency, power requirements, read range, size limitations, and the type of RFID tag being used. The environment and application of the antenna should also be taken into account.

3. Is it possible to design an RFID antenna for a long read range?

Yes, the read range of an RFID antenna can be extended by optimizing its design and using a higher power reader. However, there are limitations due to regulatory restrictions and the physical properties of radio waves.

4. How can the efficiency of an RFID antenna be improved?

The efficiency of an RFID antenna can be improved by using high-quality materials with low losses, reducing the size of the antenna, and optimizing the antenna's matching to the reader's impedance. Additionally, the antenna's placement and orientation in the reader's field can also affect its efficiency.

5. Can an RFID antenna be designed for use in metal or liquid environments?

Yes, specialized RFID antennas can be designed and used in metal or liquid environments. These antennas are typically designed with materials and structures that can withstand the effects of interference and reflection from metal or liquid surfaces.