Is this the reason why time slows down as speed increases?

In summary: It's like moving from one place to another in the world seems to take less time than it would ordinarily.
farolero
ok so einstein considered there's a maximum speed in the universe which can not be traspassed and that electrons go at this speed

electrons make orbits around the nucleus at light speed

if you make the atom go close to light speed the elcetrons in its rotation will go at light speed one half and at light speed minus spaceship speed in the other half so electrons will complete revolutions around the nucleus at a slower rate than usual

in fact if you reach light speed electrons will go at light speed one half and at zero speed the other half so they will stop completing revolutions and time perception will be zero

is this correct or am i wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
farolero said:
No they don't.

You need to look up "relativistic velocity addition" as well.

Edit: Also, a textbook on quantum physics might be a good idea.

but here it says that electricity caused by the electrons movement its lightspeed for what einstein knew:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-speed-of-electricity.79645/

" If you calculate the instantaneous speed of electron
using the theoretical models, it comes out to be the velocity
of light."
maybe i should have said quantum orbits

what i told i saw it in a documental

maybe i explained it wrong:

electrons can't trespass certain speed and as the speed of the ship increases it takes the electron more time to complete a revolution, completing zero revolutions per second at light speed

Last edited:
farolero said:
ok so einstein considered there's a maximum speed in the universe which can not be traspassed and that electrons go at this speed

No, electrons do not go at this speed. In a vacuum, electric fields propagate at this speed.

In 1913 there was a theory that electrons make orbits around the nucleus, but their speed was not the speed of light. That theory worked as an explanation of some things, but it was soon realized that it wasn't consistent and it wasn't able to explain other things. By the 1920's it was outdated, but unfortunately it's still taught in school as the Bohr atom.

if you make the atom go close to light speed the elcetrons in its rotation will go at light speed one half and at light speed minus spaceship speed in the other half so electrons will complete revolutions around the nucleus at a slower rate than usual

If an atom is moving relative to you, that's equivalent to you moving relative to it. An atom's behavior doesn't change just because someone happens to be moving relative to it.

farolero said:
No, they don't. In QM it is tricky to even pose the question correctly, but in the Bohr model the electron orbits at ##c\alpha##

Likes farolero
farolero said:
but here it says that electricity caused by the electrons movement its lightspeed for what einstein knew:
https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-speed-of-electricity.79645/

" If you calculate the instantaneous speed of electron
using the theoretical models, it comes out to be the velocity
of light."
And the very next sentence after that says...? And the immediately following post by ZapperZ says...?

electrons can't trespass certain speed and as the speed of the ship increases it takes the electron more time to complete a revolution, completing zero revolutions per second at light speed
Nothing with mass can move at light speed. And electrons don't orbit in the sense you mean. Go and google for the "light clock" which is the standard way of deriving relativistic phenomena like time dilation. You don't need any maths beyond Pythagoras' Theorem.

Likes farolero
anyway i just took a glance on that documental on relativity

it shew an oscilating particle and as the speed of the platform in which it was got close to the speed particle it would go slower as i explained

i think if the components of your atoms go slower youll age slower and thinks slower

how could this explain the slowing of time perception as speed increases?

farolero said:
You have to be very specific about what speed you are talking about. The orbital speed, the drift velocity, the Fermi velocity, the group velocity of the field, ...

That thread was a huge mess of people talking about different things. I would not make any conclusions from it other than nire clarity was needed.

wow thanks a lot the light clock is very interesting indeed

maybe what i saw in the documental was the light clock

but wouldn't be better to set the light clock 90º offset as i missremember to show time stillness?

also with pithagoras you could calculate time dillation in function of speed i guess?

farolero said:
how could this explain the slowing of time perception as speed increases?

Whatever your explanation, it must be consistent with the Principle of Relativity. If someone passes by you at high speed, that is equivalent to him standing still and you passing by him at high speed.

Time dilation is something each of you will observe about the other. It is not something either of you will observe about yourselves.

Likes lsninja, FactChecker and stoomart

1. What is the theory behind time dilation at high speeds?

The theory of relativity, proposed by Albert Einstein, explains that time dilation occurs because the speed of light is constant and the laws of physics are the same for all observers.

2. How does an increase in speed affect the flow of time?

As an object approaches the speed of light, time appears to slow down for that object relative to a stationary observer. This means that time will appear to move slower for a fast-moving object compared to a stationary one.

3. Does this phenomenon only occur at extremely high speeds?

No, time dilation occurs at any speed, but it becomes more noticeable at speeds closer to the speed of light. Even at everyday speeds, such as in airplanes, time dilation occurs, but the effect is extremely small.

4. Are there any practical applications of time dilation?

Yes, time dilation is a proven phenomenon and is accounted for in GPS technology, which needs to take into account the difference in time between satellites in orbit and receivers on Earth. It is also an important concept in particle accelerators.

5. Is time dilation the only factor that affects the perception of time?

No, time perception is also influenced by other factors such as gravitational fields and the psychological state of an individual. Time dilation is just one aspect of how time can appear to be distorted.