Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

B Is this the reason why time slows down as speed increases?

1. Dec 7, 2016 #1
    ok so einstein considered theres a maximum speed in the universe which can not be traspassed and that electrons go at this speed

electrons make orbits around the nucleus at light speed

if you make the atom go close to light speed the elcetrons in its rotation will go at light speed one half and at light speed minus spaceship speed in the other half so electrons will complete revolutions around the nucleus at a slower rate than usual

in fact if you reach light speed electrons will go at light speed one half and at zero speed the other half so they will stop completing revolutions and time perception will be zero

is this correct or am i wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 7, 2016 #2

Ibix

Science Advisor

No they don't.

You need to look up "relativistic velocity addition" as well.

Edit: Also, a textbook on quantum physics might be a good idea.

4. Dec 7, 2016 #3
    but here it says that electricity caused by the electrons movement its lightspeed for what einstein knew:
    https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/what-is-the-speed-of-electricity.79645/

" If you calculate the instantaneous speed of electron
    using the theoretical models, it comes out to be the velocity
    of light."

maybe i should have said quantum orbits

what i told i saw it in a documental

maybe i explained it wrong:

electrons cant trespass certain speed and as the speed of the ship increases it takes the electron more time to complete a revolution, completing zero revolutions per second at light speed

Last edited: Dec 7, 2016
  5. Dec 7, 2016 #4

Mister T

Science Advisor

No, electrons do not go at this speed. In a vacuum, electric fields propagate at this speed.

In 1913 there was a theory that electrons make orbits around the nucleus, but their speed was not the speed of light. That theory worked as an explanation of some things, but it was soon realized that it wasn't consistent and it wasn't able to explain other things. By the 1920's it was outdated, but unfortunately it's still taught in school as the Bohr atom.

If an atom is moving relative to you, that's equivalent to you moving relative to it. An atom's behavior doesn't change just because someone happens to be moving relative to it.

6. Dec 7, 2016 #5

Dale

Staff: Mentor

No, they don't. In QM it is tricky to even pose the question correctly, but in the Bohr model the electron orbits at ##c\alpha##

7. Dec 7, 2016 #6

Ibix

Science Advisor

And the very next sentence after that says...? And the immediately following post by ZapperZ says...?

Nothing with mass can move at light speed. And electrons don't orbit in the sense you mean. Go and google for the "light clock" which is the standard way of deriving relativistic phenomena like time dilation. You don't need any maths beyond Pythagoras' Theorem.

8. Dec 7, 2016 #7
    anyway i just took a glance on that documental on relativity

it shew an oscilating particle and as the speed of the platform in which it was got close to the speed particle it would go slower as i explained

i think if the components of your atoms go slower youll age slower and thinks slower

how could this explain the slowing of time perception as speed increases?

9. Dec 7, 2016 #8

Dale

Staff: Mentor

You have to be very specific about what speed you are talking about. The orbital speed, the drift velocity, the Fermi velocity, the group velocity of the field, ...

That thread was a huge mess of people talking about different things. I would not make any conclusions from it other than nire clarity was needed.

10. Dec 7, 2016 #9
    wow thanks a lot the light clock is very interesting indeed

maybe what i saw in the documental was the light clock

but wouldnt be better to set the light clock 90º offset as i missremember to show time stillness?

also with pithagoras you could calculate time dillation in function of speed i guess?

11. Dec 7, 2016 #10

Mister T

Science Advisor

Whatever your explanation, it must be consistent with the Principle of Relativity. If someone passes by you at high speed, that is equivalent to him standing still and you passing by him at high speed.

Time dilation is something each of you will observe about the other. It is not something either of you will observe about yourselves.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted