Is this the right way to work out this pool ball momentum problem?

In summary: Vi2... for the overall picture, energy is conserved too, so..1/2mV12 + 1/2mV22... = 1/2mVi2But that doesn't make sense with the data supplied.In summary, we discussed a problem involving the collision of two .5kg pool balls, where one was initially at rest and the other approached with a speed of 10m/s. After the collision, one ball moved with a speed of 6m/s in a direction 60 degrees away from the initial line of motion. The question was what the speed and direction of the second ball was. We used the conservation of momentum and energy to solve the
Lo.Lee.Ta.
Please help me! Is this problem worked correctly...? If not, why?

1. In a pool ball game, consider the collision of two .5kg balls. One ball is at rest initially, the other approaches with a speed vi= 10m/s. The collision is not head-on, and after collision, ball #1 moves with a speed of 6.0m/s in a direction 60deg away from the initial line of motion. What is the speed and direction of ball#2?

Okay, so I know this is Elastic Collision, so momentum and energy are conserved.

Pi = Pf
Pi(x) =Pf(x)
Pi(y) = Pf(y)

m(1,i)(v) + m(2,i)(v) = m(1,f)(v) + m(2,f)(v)

P(x): (.5)(10) + (.5)(0) = (.5)(cos(60))(6) + (.5)(cos(θ))(vf)

P(y): (.5)(10) + (.5)(0) = (.5)(cos(60))(6) + (.5)(sin(θ))(vf)

Now I'm doing y/x to figure out the θ.

y/x = 5/5 = (1.5 + .5sinθ(vf))/(1.5 + .5cos(vf))

1 = tanθ
θ = 45deg

Put the 45deg back into x-comp. momentum:

(.5)(10) + (.5)(0) = (.5)cos(60)(6) + (.5)(cos45)(vf)
vf = 9.90m/s

...I'm thinking this is incorrect, though. It seems the vf is too high...
Please help me figure this problem out! Thank you! :)

Physics news on Phys.org
Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
Please help me! Is this problem worked correctly...? If not, why?

1. In a pool ball game, consider the collision of two .5kg balls. One ball is at rest initially, the other approaches with a speed vi= 10m/s. The collision is not head-on, and after collision, ball #1 moves with a speed of 6.0m/s in a direction 60deg away from the initial line of motion. What is the speed and direction of ball#2?

Okay, so I know this is Elastic Collision, so momentum and energy are conserved.

Pi = Pf
Pi(x) =Pf(x)
Pi(y) = Pf(y)

m(1,i)(v) + m(2,i)(v) = m(1,f)(v) + m(2,f)(v)

Now I'm doing y/x to figure out the θ.

y/x = 5/5 = (1.5 + .5sinθ(vf))/(1.5 + .5cos(vf))

1 = tanθ
θ = 45deg

Put the 45deg back into x-comp. momentum:

(.5)(10) + (.5)(0) = (.5)cos(60)(6) + (.5)(cos45)(vf)
vf = 9.90m/s

...I'm thinking this is incorrect, though. It seems the vf is too high...
Please help me figure this problem out! Thank you! :)

The way you are writing things, I think your second equation is wrong:

You say

But it appears to me that both the functions should be sin, and in the y-direction, perpendicular to the initial motion I think you mean, both balls have a zero velocity.

I am not certain all the supplied information is consistent either - but that will show up later.

Okay, I found where this problem was worked out previously in my notes...
Aparantly, the answer is v=8.0m/s and the θ= 40.5deg

All the teacher showed us to do was to use the conservation of kinetic energy formula since this is elastic collision.

I knew this was elastic collision, but I thought we also had to take into account the θ when finding the velocity.
This is what I THOUGHT it had to be:

1/2(.5)(10)^2 + 1/2(.5)(0) = (1/2)(.5)cos(60)(6)^2 + (1/2)(.5)cosθ(vf)

This is what it REALLY IS:

1/2(.5)(10)^2 + 1/2(.5)(0) = (1/2)(.5)(6)^2 + 1/2(.5)(vf)

And that's easy to figure out.
vf = 8m/s

And the θ we can figure out to be:
Pi(y) = Pf(y)
(.5)(0) + (.5)(0) = (.5)sin(60)(6) + (.5)sin(θ)(8) *SIGN SUPPOSED TO BE (-) HERE. WHY?
θ = 40.5deg

*@PeterO: You were right! In y direction, it's supposed to be 0m/s for velocity! Of course! And it's supposed to be sinθ always in y-direction! Thanks! :)

So yes... that's how it is really worked out, but how am I supposed to know when I should include the sin(θ) or cos(θ) before the velocity?
Are you only supposed to add the sin or cos θ when dealing with momentum and NOT kinetic energy?

Do you EVER include sinθ or cosθ before the velocity when calculating kinetic energy?
Thanks SO much!

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:
Okay, I found where this problem was worked out previously in my notes...
Aparantly, the answer is v=8.0m/s and the θ= 40.5deg

All the teacher showed us to do was to use the conservation of kinetic energy formula since this is elastic collision.

I knew this was elastic collision, but I thought we also had to take into account the θ when finding the velocity.
This is what I THOUGHT it had to be:

1/2(.5)(10)^2 + 1/2(.5)(0) = (1/2)(.5)cos(60)(6)^2 + (1/2)(.5)cosθ(vf)

This is what it REALLY IS:

1/2(.5)(10)^2 + 1/2(.5)(0) = (1/2)(.5)(6)^2 + 1/2(.5)(vf)

And that's easy to figure out.
vf = 8m/s

And the θ we can figure out to be:
Pi(y) = Pf(y)
(.5)(0) + (.5)(0) = (.5)sin(60)(6) + (.5)sin(θ)(8) *SIGN SUPPOSED TO BE (-) HERE. WHY?
θ = 40.5deg

*@PeterO: You were right! In y direction, it's supposed to be 0m/s for velocity! Of course! And it's supposed to be sinθ always in y-direction! Thanks! :)

So yes... that's how it is really worked out, but how am I supposed to know when I should include the sin(θ) or cos(θ) before the velocity?
Are you only supposed to add the sin or cos θ when dealing with momentum and NOT kinetic energy?

Do you EVER include sinθ or cosθ before the velocity when calculating kinetic energy?
Thanks SO much!

Firstly:
You draw a diagram, and that shows whether you use sin or cos. It varies depending which angle you define.
Consider the ball #1. the 60 degree angle was between the initial direction [if it had continued on] and the direction it took.
Once you sketch those two directions, and mark in the 6 m/s, you see that when you add the components, the right angle triangle formed requires cos to calculate the component in the original direction, and sin to calculate the component perpendicular to the original direction.
If the angle had been defined differently, the sine and cosine function use may have been the other way round.

Secondly:
The data supplied is inconsistent - it can't happen that way.

Before collision, we had only one ball traveling at 10 m/s, after collision, we had one ball traveling at 6 m/s, and the other at some other speed.

In all collisions, momentum is conserved, so we can draw the momentum vectors as a triangle, with the two separate "after" vectors adding to the single "before" vector.

Vectorially mV1 + mV2 = mVi

This collision is elastic, so Kinetic energy is conserved also, so..

1/2mV12 + 1/2mV22 = 1/2mVi2

divide each of those equations by m and 1/2m respectively and we get.

As Vectors V1 + V2 = Vi

numerically V12 + V22 = Vi2

That is true ONLY if the triangle we are dealing with is a right angled triangle.

Indeed, in an elastic 2-D collision between billiard balls, the two balls always depart at right angles to each other.

The velocity values of 6, 8 and 10 you teacher calculated [which is consistent with conservation of energy] form the classic Pythagorean triangle, which has angles of approx 53 degrees and 37 degrees.

So the statement that the first ball, moved with speed 6 m/s at an angle of 60 degrees with the original direction is impossible!
If the angle is 60 degrees, the speed is not 6 m/s
If the speed is 6 m/s, the angle is approx. 53 degrees.

We have a faulty question! Which could have been corrected by omitting the reference to 60 degrees.

Note : You never use the sin and cos components in the energy equation - only in the (vector) momentum equation.

Perhaps the assumption that the collision is elastic isn't true. So calculate the speed of the and direction based on momentum only. Staying with the convention that the ball is initially moving in the x direction at 10 m/s:

Pi(x) = .5 (10 m/s)
Pi(y) = .5 (0 m/s)

Then what is Pf(x) and Pf(y)?

You'll end up with 2 equations with 2 unknowns (angle and speed of ball #2). You'll also be able to calculate the energy lost during the collision.

Last edited:
rcgldr said:
Perhaps the assumption that the collision is elastic isn't true. So calculate the speed of the and direction based on momentum only. Staying with the convention that the ball is initially moving in the x direction at 10 m/s:

Pi(x) = .5 (10 m/s)
Pi(y) = .5 (0 m/s)

Then what is Pf(x) and Pf(y)?

You'll end up with 2 equations with 2 unknowns (angle and speed of ball #2). You'll also be able to calculate the energy lost during the collision.

Agreed. You should always start with momentum - then check later whether the energy had been conserved.

rcgldr said:
Perhaps the assumption that the collision is elastic isn't true. So calculate the speed of the and direction based on momentum only (since momentum is always conserved). ... You'll end up with 2 equations with 2 unknowns (angle and speed of ball #2). You'll also be able to calculate the energy lost during the collision.

Lo.Lee.Ta. said:

This should be:

Code:
P(x): (.5)(10) + (.5)( 0) = (.5)(cos(60))(6) + (.5)(cos(θ))(vf)
P(y): (.5)( 0) + (.5)( 0) = (.5)(sin(60))(6) + (.5)(sin(θ))(vf)

Note that θ will be negative. If you want θ to be positive then use:

Code:
P(x): (.5)(10) + (.5)( 0) = (.5)(cos(60))(6) + (.5)(cos(θ))(vf)
P(y): (.5)( 0) + (.5)( 0) = (.5)(sin(60))(6) - (.5)(sin(θ))(vf)

Last edited:

1. What is the formula for calculating momentum in a pool ball problem?

The formula for calculating momentum is mass multiplied by velocity. In a pool ball problem, the mass of the ball and its velocity before and after the collision must be determined in order to calculate momentum.

2. How do I determine the direction of the momentum in a pool ball problem?

The direction of momentum can be determined by using the right-hand rule. The direction of the velocity vector is the direction of the thumb, while the direction of the momentum vector is the direction of the fingers when the palm is facing in the direction of the thumb.

3. Can I use the conservation of momentum principle in a pool ball problem?

Yes, the conservation of momentum principle can be used in a pool ball problem. This principle states that the total momentum of a closed system remains constant before and after a collision. In a pool ball problem, the total momentum of all the balls involved in the collision must remain constant.

4. What should I do if the pool balls have different masses in a momentum problem?

If the pool balls have different masses, the momentum problem can still be solved using the conservation of momentum principle. The momentum of each ball can be calculated separately and then added together to determine the total momentum of the system.

5. How do I know if I have solved the pool ball momentum problem correctly?

You can check your solution by using the conservation of momentum principle. If the total momentum before and after the collision is the same, then your solution is correct. Additionally, the direction and magnitude of each ball's momentum should also be consistent with the problem's given conditions.