Confused About Tensor Density Behaviour

In summary, the conversation discusses the behavior of tensor densities when multiplied by a vector and the difference between tensor densities and tensors with regards to the covariant derivative. It is mentioned that the covariant derivative is distributive, similar to the Lie derivative, and can be proven using the Leibnitz rule. The conversation also mentions that all derivatives satisfy the Leibnitz rule, including the covariant derivative.
Gunthi
[tex] \nabla_a[(-g)^{\frac{1}{2}}T^a] = T^a\nabla_a[(-g)^{\frac{1}{2}}]+(-g)^{\frac{1}{2}}\nabla_aT^a[/tex]

I just realized that I don't quite understand how a tensor density behaves when multiplied by a vector. I'm trying to find some clues in D'Inverno's book but I'm getting more confused.

Thanks in advance :)

Physics news on Phys.org
[itex]\triangledown _{\mu }(-g)^{1/2}= 0[/itex] so you can pull it out of the covariant derivative. The main difference between tensor densities and tensors with regards to the covariant derivative is that with the former you have an extra term involving the weight of the density.

WannabeNewton said:
[itex]\triangledown _{\mu }(-g)^{1/2}= 0[/itex] so you can pull it out of the covariant derivative. The main difference between tensor densities and tensors with regards to the covariant derivative is that with the former you have an extra term involving the weight of the density.

So the covariant derivative is distributive like the Lie derivative? How could I prove that?

Thanks

Yes [itex]\triangledown _{\alpha }(S\otimes T) = T\otimes (\triangledown_{\alpha }S ) + S\otimes (\triangledown _{\alpha }T) [/itex]. One rather easy way (but a tad bit mechanical) to prove it, in component form, would be to take the general definition of the covariant derivative in terms of the christoffel symbol and use the fact that the product of an (m,n) tensor with an (k, l) tensor gives some (m + k, n + l) tensor.

You're just asking about the Leibnitz rule. I'm pretty sure every derivative ever invented satisfies the Liebnitz rule. (If it didn't, I wouldn't want to call it a derivative.)

For example see Wald where he defines derivatives as maps on tensors that satisfy a number of properties, among them the Leibnitz rule. (The covariant derivative is one such derivative. And keep in mind that from Wald's point of view tensor densities are just tensors chosen with respect to particular coordinate systems.)

1. What is a tensor density?

A tensor density is a mathematical object that combines the properties of a tensor and a density. It is a tensor that transforms under a change of coordinates like a density rather than a tensor. This means its components will change by a factor of the determinant of the coordinate transformation.

2. How does tensor density behave under coordinate transformations?

Tensor density behaves differently than a regular tensor under coordinate transformations. Its components will change by a factor of the determinant of the coordinate transformation, while a regular tensor's components will change according to the transformation matrix.

3. What is the difference between a tensor and a tensor density?

The main difference between a tensor and a tensor density is in how they transform under coordinate transformations. While a tensor's components change according to the transformation matrix, a tensor density's components change by a factor of the determinant of the coordinate transformation. Additionally, a tensor density has one less index than a regular tensor.

4. How can tensor density be used in physics?

Tensor density is commonly used in physics to describe physical quantities that have both a magnitude and a direction, such as stress, strain, and fluid flow. It allows for a more accurate and consistent representation of these quantities under coordinate transformations.

5. What is the role of tensor density in general relativity?

In general relativity, tensor density is an important concept for describing the behavior of spacetime and the equations of motion for particles and fields. It is used to account for the curvature of spacetime and the effects of gravity on the motion of particles.