Relative Velocity of Car B to Car A at Different Speeds

• Thread starter missie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Velocity
In summary, the conversation is about solving for the velocity of car b relative to car a in figure 1.6. Car a is traveling at 40m/s while car b is traveling at 60m/s. The correct way to solve for the velocity of car b is to subtract the vector of car a from the vector of car b, resulting in a velocity of -30m/s. The order of subtraction is important in this case.
missie
Question: Look at figure 1.6. if Car a slowed to 30m/s. what would the velocity of car b relative to car a be?

figure 1.6 is a picture of 2 car going forward the same way. Car a is in the front and car b is in the back. Car a is going at 40m/s and car b is going 60 m/s.

will this be how i solve it?

40m/s - 60m/s = -20 m/s

is that how the answer is or I'm i wrong? is it another way?

Physics news on Phys.org
missie said:
Question: Look at figure 1.6. if Car a slowed to 30m/s. what would the velocity of car b relative to car a be?

figure 1.6 is a picture of 2 car going forward the same way. Car a is in the front and car b is in the back. Car a is going at 40m/s and car b is going 60 m/s.

will this be how i solve it?

40m/s - 60m/s = -20 m/s

is that how the answer is or I'm i wrong? is it another way?

But was that the actual question?

yes that was the question.

the problem is that i don't know if i solved it right.

missie said:
yes that was the question.

Please read the problem more carefully.

Look at figure 1.6. if Car a slowed to 30m/s. what would the velocity of car b relative to car a be?

so the answer should be:

30m/s - 60m/s = -30m/s

? and thanks ;]

missie said:
so the answer should be:

30m/s - 60m/s = -30m/s

? and thanks ;]

Not quite.

Take the vector difference by subtracting the vector of car A from the vector of Car B.

In the case where they were moving away the distance was getting bigger. Subtracting from the second really resulted in adding. In this case the vector of the second is larger and when you subtract the vector (of the one you want it relative to) it's not (-) it's (+). Reverse the order of the subtraction in the equation you gave.

thanks so much ;]

FAQ: Relative Velocity of Car B to Car A at Different Speeds

1. What is velocity?

Velocity is a measure of how fast an object is moving in a specific direction. It is a vector quantity, meaning it has both magnitude (speed) and direction.

2. How is velocity calculated?

Velocity is calculated by dividing the displacement (change in position) of an object by the time it takes for that change to occur. The formula for velocity is v = d/t, where v is velocity, d is displacement, and t is time.

3. What are the units of velocity?

The units of velocity depend on the units used for displacement and time in the calculation. However, the most common units are meters per second (m/s) or kilometers per hour (km/h).

4. How does velocity differ from speed?

Velocity and speed are often used interchangeably, but they are not the same. While speed is a scalar quantity and only refers to how fast an object is moving, velocity is a vector quantity that also includes direction.

5. How can I determine if a velocity measurement is accurate?

To determine if a velocity measurement is accurate, you must compare it to an accepted or known value. This could involve using precise measuring tools or following a standard experimental procedure. It is also important to consider and account for any sources of error in the measurement.

Back