Is Time an Illusion? Platonic Idealism & Human Observation

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of time and how it is observed as absolute and always progressing into entropy. However, mathematically it is seen as an axis used to determine energy and entropy at specific points. The question arises about the possibility of a bias in the progression of time and if it could run backwards or even exist at all. This also brings up the idea of how humans observe the world and if our observations are flawed, connecting to the concept of platonic idealism. The conversation ends with a curiosity about the potential meaninglessness of some scientific discoveries if this were to be the case.
ComaBerenices
Now, we humans observe time to be absolute and always progressing into entropy. However, mathematically it really just seems like a axis which helps determine energy and entropy at points along the grid. I guess what I'm curious about is if there is a bias as to how time progresses, I mean, what's to say that time doesn't run backwards, or has any base existence at all? Also, is this a problem with how humans observe the world, linking back to platonic idealism. Are we fundamentally flawed in our observations of motion, time, and space itself?

and to extend, if this were to be the case, would some of the science we've done be meaningless?

Just curious,
Best regards.

Physics news on Phys.org
ComaBerenices said:
we humans observe time to be absolute

I'm not sure what you mean by this. What specific observations are you referring to?

The rest of your post looks more like philosophy than physics to me.

I'm afraid this is too speculative. Thread closed.

What is the theory of Platonic Idealism?

Platonic Idealism is a philosophical theory that suggests that abstract ideas or concepts, such as truth, beauty, and justice, exist independently of the physical world. These ideal forms are considered to be perfect and eternal, and the physical world is seen as a mere reflection or imitation of these ideal forms.

How does Platonic Idealism relate to the concept of time being an illusion?

In Platonic Idealism, time is seen as a product of our human perception and is not considered to be a fundamental aspect of reality. This theory suggests that time is a construct created by our minds to make sense of the world, rather than an inherent part of the universe. Therefore, time can be seen as an illusion or a subjective experience rather than a concrete reality.

What evidence supports the idea that time is an illusion according to Platonic Idealism?

One of the main arguments for the idea that time is an illusion is the concept of the eternal and unchanging nature of ideal forms in Platonic Idealism. This suggests that time, as we perceive it, is not a fundamental aspect of reality and is instead a product of our limited human perception.

Can human observation and perception influence the concept of time?

According to Platonic Idealism, human observation and perception play a significant role in creating the concept of time. Our minds create a linear experience of time based on our perception of events and their relation to one another. Therefore, our individual experiences and perceptions can influence how we perceive and understand time.

How does the concept of time as an illusion impact scientific theories and research?

The idea of time being an illusion according to Platonic Idealism challenges the traditional understanding of time in scientific theories and research. It suggests that time is not a fundamental aspect of reality and can be seen as a construct of our minds. This can lead to a reexamination of scientific theories and the development of new perspectives on time and its role in the universe.