Is wave function a probability function of time?

In summary, the wave function ψ(x,t) is a time-dependent function of probability that affects space and is a solution of Schrodinger's equation. In elementary quantum mechanics, it can be written as a function of position and time or momentum and time. The wave function must obey the conservation of probability and be square integrable. In order to find the probability of finding a particle in a given interval, one must write down the Hamiltonian of the system and solve for the wave function using Schrodinger's equation. Simply writing a coordinate function or time function will not result in a valid wave function.
Quarlep
Wave function ψ(x,t) is a fuction of probability which depends on time example
Ψ(x,t)=1/(c-v)t Let's suppose its a function of probability
It depends on time and it affects space.
Is this is a definition of wave function ?
(I know wave function squuared gives probability but I am not asking that )

Physics news on Phys.org
The wave function has to be a solution of Schrodinger's equation, and that restricts it to one particular form of time dependency. The ##\Psi## that you propose above won't work, as you'll see if you try plugging it into Schrodinger's equation.

In elementary (meaning before the Hilbert space formalism is introduced) quantum mechanics the wave function can be written as a function of position and time, or as a function of momentum and time. You can transform between the two forms; the former is used to calculate the probability of finding the particle at a given position at a given time and the latter to calculate the probability of finding the particle with a given momentum at a given time.

Likes bhobba
If i remember well all the wavefunctions must obey to the conservation of probability:
##\nabla j(x,t)+\frac{\partial \rho (x,t)}{\partial t}=0##
where:
##j(x,t)=-\frac{i \hbar}{2m}(\psi * \nabla \psi - \psi \nabla \psi*)##
##\rho(x,t)=|\psi|^2##

Lets suppose there a space-time function (simple coordinate function, depends time) Ψ(t)=2t
Let's make a problem; The probability of finding particle on the line between zero and t intervals
Line length 0 and 2t than what's the probabilty of finding particle between this intervels ?
Can we solve it useing wavefunction

That's not a valid wave function either, because it must be square integrable (also be aware that we discuss only non-relativistic single-particle quantum theory here).

Can I turn it a wavefunction someway but same logic

Quarlep said:
Can I turn it a wavefunction someway but same logic

No. You have to write down the Hamiltonian of the system, then you have to insert that Hamiltonian into Schrodinger's equation and solve for the wavefunction.

If I do that ,can I find the right answer ? I want to be sure sorry but thank you

1. What is a wave function?

A wave function is a mathematical representation of the quantum state of a particle. It describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular state at a given time.

2. What is the relationship between wave function and time?

The wave function is a function of both space and time. It describes the probability of finding a particle at a specific location and time.

3. Is the wave function a probability function of time?

Yes, the wave function is a probability function of time. It describes the probability of finding a particle in a particular state at a specific time.

4. How does the wave function change over time?

The wave function can change over time according to the Schrödinger equation, which describes how the wave function evolves over time. It can also be affected by external forces and interactions with other particles.

5. Can the wave function predict the exact position of a particle?

No, the wave function cannot predict the exact position of a particle. It only describes the probability of finding the particle in a particular state at a given time. The exact position can only be determined through measurement.