Why Does Work Have Positive and Negative Values?

In summary: Instead you'd say that money has a direction. In this case, energy has a direction.Homework Statement Fact: Being the dot product of force and distance, work is a scalar. Fragment from my textbook: The work done on the spring is ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2##, and so the work done by the spring is ##-\frac{1}{2}kx^2##.Homework Equations##W = f \cdot d ##The Attempt at a SolutionIn summary, work is a scalar quantity that represents the transfer of energy between objects. When work is done on a spring, energy is transferred to the spring, resulting in a positive work value. When work
Calpalned

Homework Statement

Fact: Being the dot product of force and distance, work is a scalar. Fragment from my textbook: The work done on the spring is ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2##, and so the work done by the spring is ##-\frac{1}{2}kx^2##.

Homework Equations

##W = f \cdot d ##

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought scalars don't have directions. Why is the "work done on" positive, while the "work done by" is negative?

Physics news on Phys.org
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Fact: Being the dot product of force and distance, work is a scalar. Fragment from my textbook: The work done on the spring is ##\frac{1}{2}kx^2##, and so the work done by the spring is ##-\frac{1}{2}kx^2##.

Homework Equations

##W = f \cdot d ##

I thought scalars don't have directions. Why is the "work done on" positive, while the "work done by" is negative?
Scalars don't have direction but they do have + or - signs!

rude man said:

rude man said:

I thought that scalars are magnitudes (aka absolute values)...

Calpalned said:
It's the "aka" part of your statement that's erroneous.

The magnitude of a vector is an absolute value and scalars are often described as having magnitude, but not direction.

That's not to say that all magnitudes are absolute values.

Calpalned said:
Not so. Temperature in Celsius for example is a scalar. It can be + or -, right? Or altitude - can be above or below sea level. Etc.

Likes Calpalned
Calpalned said:

Homework Statement

Homework Equations

##W = f \cdot d ##

When you stretch a spring, you're doing work on the spring. According to Newton's third law, the spring exerts a force on you and therefore does work on you. The action and reaction forces point in opposite directions, but the displacement is the same in either case, so the work done on the spring by you and the work done by the spring on you are always negatives of each other.

Another way to look at it is that work is the transfer of energy. Energy goes from one thing to another, so in that sense there's a direction to work. It's like if I handed you a $1 bill. Money went from me to you, but you wouldn't say a $1 bill has a direction.

Likes Calpalned

1. Is work a scalar or a vector quantity?

Work is a scalar quantity, meaning it has magnitude but no direction. This is because work is defined as the product of force and displacement, both of which are vector quantities, but their product results in a scalar value.

2. Can work be negative?

Yes, work can be negative. This occurs when the force and displacement are in opposite directions, resulting in a negative value for work. This is often the case when an object is being pulled in the opposite direction of its motion.

3. How is work different from energy?

Work is the transfer of energy from one object to another, whereas energy is the ability to do work. In other words, work is a process that results in a change in energy, but energy itself is not work.

4. What is the unit of measurement for work?

The SI unit of measurement for work is the joule (J). This is equivalent to a force of one newton (N) applied over a distance of one meter (m). Other common units for work include the calorie (cal) and the foot-pound (ft-lb).

5. How is work related to power?

Work and power are closely related, as power is defined as the rate at which work is done. In other words, power is the amount of work done per unit time. The SI unit of measurement for power is the watt (W), which is equal to one joule per second (J/s).