Solving Isometries Proofs: Geometry Revisions & Help

• Thread starter nlews
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Proofs
In summary, the conversation covers a discussion about proofs in geometry, specifically related to orthogonal matrices and rotations. The conversation includes a request for help and a question about calculating vector length using the transpose. The expert provides a summary of the conversation and confirms the correctness of the proof for part a, and suggests using a formula for part b.
nlews
Have been revising geometry today and have came across some proofs that I can't seem to find in books, but I can't get through either. Any help would be great.

Let A be a 3x3 orthogonal matrix and let x and y be vectors in R^3

a) Show that detA = +/- 1

b) Show that the length of Ax is the same as that of x and that x and y are orthogonal iff Ax and Ay are orthogonal
Suppose further that A represents a rotation through angleθ , with axis of rotation along the unit vector n, show that if m is a unit vector orthogonal to n, then n.m^Am = sinθ

attempt at a)

from defn of orthogonal matrix (Atr.A = I)

det(Atr . A) = det(I) = 1
using standard results such as det(A.B) = detA. detB and det(Atr) = det(A)
we have det(Atr).det(A) = det(A)^2
detA^2=1
therefore det A = +\- 1

b) struggling to start.

Thank you in advance

Physics news on Phys.org
For b) if you have a vector v with transpose tr(v), how do you calculate the length of v?

You also might want to know that tr(x y) = tr(y) tr(x).

The only way I know how to find the length of a vector is by squaring and square-rooting. I have never used the transpose to find the length. Ahh I am very stuck!

Can you convince yourself that
||v||2 = v . vT
where the dot denotes the inner product?

I can sort of see it, but working on a proof right now. Will check back later if I get one out. For some reason I just don't see how this answers the question! Sorry for being a pain and thank you for your advice so far.

Your proof of part a is correct.

For part b.

Try using the formula <x,Ay> = <Atrx,y> which works because A is orthogonal.

In the rotation question, you are looking at the area of the parallelogram spanned by the two unit vectors m and Am.

Last edited:
Well, if the formula I gave is valid for any vector, then in particular it holds for Ax.

So if you calculate (Ax) . (Ax)T you should get precisely the length x . xT back.

1. What are isometries in geometry?

Isometries are transformations that preserve the size and shape of an object. They include translations, rotations, reflections, and combinations of these transformations.

2. How do I prove that two figures are congruent using isometries?

To prove that two figures are congruent using isometries, you must show that one figure can be transformed into the other figure using only translations, rotations, and reflections. This shows that the figures have the same size and shape.

3. What is the difference between rigid transformations and non-rigid transformations?

Rigid transformations, also known as isometries, preserve the size and shape of an object. Non-rigid transformations, such as dilations and shears, change the size and/or shape of an object.

4. Can isometries be used to prove properties of angles and lines?

Yes, isometries can be used to prove properties of angles and lines. For example, a rotation can be used to show that two angles are congruent, and a reflection can be used to show that two lines are parallel.

5. What are some common strategies for solving isometry proofs?

Some common strategies for solving isometry proofs include breaking the figure into smaller, more manageable parts, using the properties of isometries (such as the fact that reflections preserve angle measures), and looking for patterns or symmetries within the figure.