Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Isothermal Settling (aka sedimentation equilibrium)

1. Nov 21, 2015 #1
    Is anyone familiar with these terms or the experiments involved? I have a lot of questions regarding them. Thank you guys.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 23, 2015 #2
    "Isothermal" simply means that its one temperature from top to bottom.
    Settling is what happens to heavy particles in the liquid. Not surprisingly, big heavy particles drop like a rock and end up at the bottom (H=0). Others take more time and fall onto the accumulation of bigger particles.

4. Nov 23, 2015 #3
    Okay, so would you consider the cell to be 'isothermal'? I don't, but apparently it is according to this Paul Todd paper (See attached).
    Overall the cell may be 'isothermal' to maintain a constant 37 oC... but within the molecular environment there endothermic/exothermic reactions where heat is being transfered and local temperature variations occur due to increases in kinetic energy.

He mentions this isothermal settling is a process to be considered inside cells. What do you think about that? Isothermal settling is a static state of equilibrium of no net mass movement, with more particles concentrating towards the bottom. I wouldn't think cells would be able to survive under these conditions.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook