Iterated Integral of unknown proportion of circle

In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of finding the iterated integral for the area inside a circle with radius 2cos(theta) and outside a circle with radius 1 centered at the origin. The person is unsure how to approach this problem and asks for help in quantifying the section of area. They consider using two integrals in Cartesian coordinates but realize it can be simplified into one integral in polar coordinates. The person also mentions that using polar coordinates simplifies the math and their method results in about 60% of the total area of the circle.
mgibson

Homework Statement

My problem requires me to write an iterated integral for the area inside the circle r=2cos(theta) for -pi/2 <theta< pi/2 (circle of radius 1 centered at (1,0)) and outside the circle r=1 centered at the origin.

I am not sure how to approach this area since I do not know the proportion to the total area of the circle of radius 1. How can I quantify this section of area in order to write an iterated integral?

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Are you sure it's r=2cos(theta)? Why do you need the proportion?

By the description you give, the region is shaped like a moon. Instead of writing one integral, can you make it the sum of two integrals in Cartesian coordinates?

The circle is indeed r=2cos(theta) I believe its parameterizing the circle in polar coord. as theta goes from -pi/2 to pi/2.

The region is indeed shaped like a moon, and I first approached it with two integrals (the area of circle of r=1 with the shared area of the two circles subtracted from it) but then realized it could be done with just one integral in polar coordinates.

Since the region is bounded by circular lines, using polar coordinates simplifies the math.

Using the method discussed in my above post, the answer comes to about 60 percent of the total area of the circle. This seems reasonable and the integral makes sense so I think it is the easiest method.

Although I could be doing something incorrectly and just getting a lucky answer.

1. What is an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle?

An iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area of a portion of a circle where the proportion of the circle's radius is unknown. It involves using multiple integrals to solve for the unknown proportion and then calculating the area using the standard formula for a circle's area.

2. How is an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle different from a regular integral?

An iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle differs from a regular integral in that it involves solving for an unknown proportion of the circle's radius before calculating the area. This requires using multiple integrals and can be more complex than a regular integral.

3. What is the formula for calculating an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle?

The formula for calculating an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle is: A = ∫(r^2π)dr, where A is the area of the portion of the circle, r is the unknown proportion of the circle's radius, and π is the constant pi.

4. Can an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle be used to find the area of any portion of a circle?

Yes, an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle can be used to find the area of any portion of a circle as long as the proportion of the circle's radius is unknown. However, it may be more efficient to use other methods for calculating the area of simple portions of a circle.

5. What are some real-world applications of an iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle?

An iterated integral of an unknown proportion of a circle can be used in various engineering and scientific fields, such as calculating the area of a cross-section of a circular pipe or determining the volume of a portion of a spherical object. It can also be used in geometry and trigonometry to solve problems involving circles.