1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Its not graded.

1. May 18, 2003 #1
    HElp ME PLEASE

Hello my name is Scott Johnson I was just wondering if u could help me with thse two problems im stuck on. I have I deadline for tommorrow so if u could email me back today that would be great.greatlt apprecated

1) a 0.50 cm high object is placed 30 cm in front of a concave mirror that has a 15cm radius of curvature. a)find the position and size of the image and state whether it is real or virtual and upright or inverted. Repeat the distances of b) 15 cm, c) 12 cm, and d) 6 cm. check your calculations with ray diagrams. (20 pts for each letter section)

2)Light at an incident ray of 37degrees enters a flat glass plate (n=1.50). a)what is the angle of refraction inside the glass? b) after the beam leaves the plate, what is the angle between it and the beam incident on the plate? (10 pts for each letter section)

2. jcsd
  3. May 18, 2003 #2

enigma

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Prime,

Forum rules state that for us to help you, you need to show your work and where you got stuck.

It does absolutely nothing for you if someone gives you the answer, and is considered cheating if the problem is graded.

So post what you've tried, and we'll help you out.

4. May 18, 2003 #3
    its not graded.

if u place a .50cm high object in frount of a 30 concave mirrior the curauture of it woul dbe 15 cm in radios

so would this mean that because the distance form the mirroir is cut in half the equals the radious. And would u do that for all of them

most of it makes no sence to me, my teacher gave me this question to see if we were deciated to our work..any sorce made be used in these questions thats why i posted it

5. May 18, 2003 #4
    its not graded.

if a .50 cm high object is placed 30 cm in front of a concave mirrior that has 15 cm radious curature.

does this mean that the distance between the mirrior and the object its cut in half to equal the radious?

this is not graded it is just a problem that our teacher has given us to see if were deciated to our work. Any sorces our availbe for uses. Thats why i posted it please help me. Please

6. May 18, 2003 #5
    this is the problem i cant understand this

Hello my name is Scott Johnson I was just wondering if u could help me with thse two problems im stuck on. I have I deadline for tommorrow so if u could email me back today that would be great.greatlt apprecated

1) a 0.50 cm high object is placed 30 cm in front of a concave mirror that has a 15cm radius of curvature. a)find the position and size of the image and state whether it is real or virtual and upright or inverted. Repeat the distances of b) 15 cm, c) 12 cm, and d) 6 cm. check your calculations with ray diagrams. (20 pts for each letter section)

2)Light at an incident ray of 37degrees enters a flat glass plate (n=1.50). a)what is the angle of refraction inside the glass? b) after the beam leaves the plate, what is the angle between it and the beam incident on the plate? (10 pts for each letter section)

7. May 18, 2003 #6
    For question 1a, draw a concave mirror and an object on your graph paper. You should apply the laws of reflection in this case. Light rays from the object parallel to the principle axis will pass through the focus, and vice versa. Repeat the above steps to do part b, c and d. When will the image be real/virtual ?
    Here is a link for your reference.

For question 2, I think you have learnt a formula relating angle of incidence, angle of refraction and refractive index, right? Try to apply that formula.

Last edited: May 18, 2003
  8. May 18, 2003 #7
    more

can u give me a little more info

9. May 19, 2003 #8
    Start with 1. recalling thin lens (thin mirror) equation and 2. relationship between radius of curvature and focal length for a mirror.

10. May 19, 2003 #9

dav2008

Gold Member

Yeah, this is prolly too late, but some equations to get you started:

f=r/2 where r is the radius of curvature..

and

1/di + 1/do=f
    Keeping in mind that the focal distance is negative for diverging instruments and positive for converging ones.

11. May 19, 2003 #10

Tom Mattson

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Prime,

Welcome to Physics Forums.

I merged your two threads together into a single thread. In the future,

1. In the Homework Help forum, please show us some of your work.
    2. Please start only one thread per problem.

Thanks,

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?