IVP Forced Mechanical vibration

In summary, the homework statement is that the solution to the Initial value problem, x''+2x'+5x=0, is the sum of the steady periodic solution x_sp and x_tr. Find both. The Attempt at a Solution found x_sp which is the particular solution. r^2+2r+5=0 and -1=+- 2i so x_tr is e^(-t)(Acos(2t)+Bcos(2t)) which gives x(t) = e^(-t)(Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t)) + (-44/533)cos(7t)+(14/533)sin
jrsweet

Homework Statement

The solution to the Initial value problem, x''+2x'+5x=0, is the sum of the steady periodic solution x_sp and x_tr. Find both.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I already found x_sp ( the particular solution). It is (-44/533)cos(7t)+(14/533)sin(7t).

r^2+2r+5=0
-1=+- 2i
x_tr = e^(-t)(Acos(2t)+Bcos(2t))

x(t) = e^(-t)(Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t)) + (-44/533)cos(7t)+(14/533)sin(7t).
x'(t) = e^(-t)(-2Asin(2t)+2Bcos(2t)) - e^(-t)(Acos(2t)+Bsin(2t)) +
(308/533)sin(7t)+(98/533)cos(7t).

x(0)=1(A+0)-(44/553) ==> A = 44/533
x'(0)= 1(2B)-1(A)+(98/533) ==> B= -27/533

So, x_tr=(44/533)cos(2t)-(27/533)sin(2t)
this is not right however. Can someone see where I might have messed up?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Where did the cos(7t) and sin(7t) come from? Did you fail to state the whole problem? What are the initial conditions? Is there supposed to be a non-homogeneous term? No wonder there are no replies.

Yeah, sorry about that! I was pretty tired when I wrote it I think.

x''+2x'+5x=4cos(7t), x(0)=x'(0)=0

Haha. I feel stupid now. Sorry again!

jrsweet said:
Yeah, sorry about that! I was pretty tired when I wrote it I think.

x''+2x'+5x=4cos(7t), x(0)=x'(0)=0

Haha. I feel stupid now. Sorry again!

Your solution for x(t) satisfies both the equation and the initial conditions, so your solution is correct. I'm not sure what xtr means, but I'm guessing it means the transient part of the solution. That would be the part that fades away as t approaches infinity. It would be the terms with the e-t factors. The pure sine and cosine terms are the periodic part.

[Edit] On rechecking it I find A = 44/533 and B = -27/533. This gives the solution:

[tex]x(t)=e^{-t}(\frac {44}{533}\cos{2t}-\frac{27}{533}\cos{2t})-\frac{44}{533}\cos{7t}+\frac{14}{533}\sin{7t}[/tex]

Last edited:

1. What is IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration?

IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration stands for Initial Value Problem Forced Mechanical Vibration. It is a mathematical model used to study the dynamic response of a mechanical system subjected to external forces or vibrations.

2. How is IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration different from other vibration models?

IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration takes into account the initial conditions of the system, such as the initial displacement and velocity, in addition to the external forces. This allows for a more accurate prediction of the system's response compared to other vibration models.

3. What are the applications of IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration?

IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration is commonly used in engineering and physics to analyze the behavior of mechanical systems, such as bridges, buildings, and machines, under external forces or vibrations. It is also used in the design and optimization of these systems to ensure they can withstand expected external forces.

4. What are the key components of an IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration model?

The key components of an IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration model include the mass, stiffness, and damping of the system, as well as the external forces or vibrations acting on the system. These components are typically represented by mathematical equations and can vary depending on the specific system being analyzed.

5. How is IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration solved?

IVP Forced Mechanical Vibration is typically solved using numerical methods, such as the Runge-Kutta method or the finite element method. These methods involve breaking down the system into smaller, solvable parts and using iterative calculations to determine the system's response at different time intervals.